Jane's Addiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Go ahead. Point and laugh. I know I'm, what, a dozen years too late?

I'll wait whilst you chuckle. :reject:

But I heard them on the radio in my crappy little rented car while I was going back to the dealer to pick up my real car.

I liked what I heard.

I don't know what song it was or anything. I only know it was them because someone came on and said "Here's Jane's Addiction." Double :reject:

Do they always rock? Tell me this wasn't an abberation and the rest of their stuff is off-key acoustic warbling.

Where do I start next time I hit the used record store?

Martha My Dear...(hee-hee I had to do it cos I'm a sucker for the Beatles....) start with Ritual de lo Habitual :up:

Last edited:
yeah, they are pretty cool...I saw em live in 1991.

(Waits for beegee to come in and trump my 1991) :D

They have more than rocked for a loooong time (meaning: long in "alternative" years).

I feel that I am the resident Janes Addiction super fan of Interference, (they are up there with U2 for me) and the song that you mentioned "off-key acoustic warbling" sounds like 'Jane Says'. Basically I believe that you must get these two Janes Addiction albums, as one is not better than the other and they both have amazing songs on them. JA have released four studio albums and one collection of remixes and rarities and of them these are the two that you must get.....

Nothings Shocking,
nothings.jpg

This album has the studio version of 'Jane Says' on it as well as 'Idiots rule'- which features Flea from the red hot chilli peppers playing trumpet and I also really like the opening song, ''Up the beach' which is a nice sweeping guitar driven instrumental and the second last song 'Thankyou boys' is a great acoustic blues/rock number....

and the other one to get is undoubtably,
Ritual De Lo Habitual
ritual_de_lo_habitual.jpg

This album features one of JA's most known songs- "Been caught stealing" which is a good song, but personally I think that there are better songs on this, such as the epic opus of 'Three Days', which is probably the most amazing JA song ever recorded and the middle eastern feel of "of course". This is an amazing cd that should be a feature of anyones cd collection.

Janes grew up amidst the hair metal bands of the mid to late 80s and were pre-grunge and their music is just truly unique, when you look at when they were around. Glad to hear that you are getting into them, if you have any questions about them, then just ask me:wink:

Dude, Jane Says rocks. I hope that's not what you are referring to as warbling. One of my favorite songs ever.

Dave Navarro is :drool:

I fully agree with OzAurora, both come highly recommended in my book. If you want a more straight forward 'rock' album try their latest (and last as they've now broke up again!) 'Strays'. The song you may have heard on the radio was 'Just Because' their come back single on 'Strays'. It's a pretty rockin' song, has a killer vocal hook in the chorus. Hope that is of some help.

I've never liked them enough to buy a record yet I can't take my eyes off them when I see them live (on TV, that is). They totally rock.

Nothing Shocking is one of my favorite albums.

It is a good album to listen to right before a sporting competition (I listened to it this past year before a few lacrosse games...gets your adrenaline (sp?) flowing.)

Ahhh, finaly, folks who dig JA. JA is one of the most underappreciated bands of the late 80s/early 90's.....right up there with The Pixies. Martha, run out and get these albums...If you are so inclined, once you get Ritual de lo Habitual, sit in a room by yourself and blast "Three Days"......a sonic masterpiece.

Martha, I'd go for it if you want a solid rock record, I don't think you'll go wrong with it.

i wasn't going to do this, but you asked for it

zoney! said:
(Waits for beegee to come in and trump my 1991)

i first stumbled across jane's addiction back in 1987, when i saw them open for love and rockets at UC irvine. they had only been together about a year. they completely stole the show from L&R. their sound was like nothing i had ever heard, and perry farrell simply blew my mind as a front man. (during this particular show, he tore off his skirt about halfway through the set, and played the rest of the show naked from the waist down.)

i was hooked.

after the show, i went out and got their first first album, the XXX album. it's a live album, recorded at the roxy in 1987. i saw them again at the john anson ford theatre in april of 1989. by this time, nothing's shocking had already been released. it was an outdoor show, and the stage was full of candles and perry's dreads were blue, and they played most of the show acoustic, which again, blew my mind. my car got towed at that show and i didn't give a shit.

then they released ritual, and everything changed. (my dear HOS?will have to back me up on this one, he and i have been here before...) i heard been caught stealing, and saw the video, and it was like watching ken put barbie on the streets. that pure, raw quality that they had was gone. there were a few great songs on that album, but it even showed in their live show. it was over.

i saw them for the third, and final time, in 1991.

i would like to recommend kettlewhistle which captures perry farrell's brilliant interaction with a live audience.

enjoy, martha :up:

jane's addiction died a long time ago. what appeared onstage over the last couple of years was nothing more than a corpse.

HeadsOnSticks said:
what appeared... over the last couple of years was nothing more than a corpse.

indeed, your absence deflated the forum.

du HOS.

:sexywink:

Bonosgirl- Can I just say how envious I am of you having seen JA three times!!!!!!! I unfortunately never got the chance to see them live- I was underage when they first toured here and then last year when they came out for the big day out, I had broken my foot and could not risk going to an all day festival with 30 000 other people who would probably crush my foot into a thousand broken pieces, needless to say I was very upset. But with that said, seeing them live last year would not of been as good as seeing them live during their heroin induced, smacked up early 90s days. But still the live dvd that comes with the strays limited edition shows some nice live footage of the big day out shows. And the kettlewhistle album is a good one and yeah blasting three days is the only way that song can be played, I just love the bit in that song where Perry screams, "erotic Jesuuuuuuuus, lays with his Marys!":wink:

cujo said:

indeed, your absence deflated the forum.

du HOS.

:sexywink:

what IS up brothers cujo & mofo?

yes, it has been awhile since i frolicked through the b&c. did i miss anything worthwhile?

Yes, Nothings Shocking is awesome (probably my favourite Janes cd) this one has the best version of Jane Says on it and my other fave song on it would have to be 'standing in the shower thinking'- I just love that little lead riff that Navarro does about a third of the way into it:)

I sorta love them!;) They are funny, the lead singer has a great voice, they play great music to me!;)

Back
Top Bottom