James Taylor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarvark

Acrobat
I like Neil Young, might I like James Taylor?

Any insights, comments, reviews, thoughts pertaining to his music?

I don't like him at all. My friend is crazy about him though, because she's from Chapel Hill NC. I don't really get the Neil Young comparison, Neil's a rocker through and through. Taylor's a super-mellow folky, who I just find tiringly dull. :shrug:

Yeah if you're looking for anything close to Neil Young, you're barking up the wrong tree.

That being said, I dig James Taylor...

I mean no intended comparison, I've heard the names juxtaposed before.

Speaking of Young, this new live CD is great.

Mellow eh? Mellow interesting? Innovative?

Beautiful voice, gorgeous internal rhymes. He can rock on occasion. Dry funny. Some great songs. Better in concert. But other than the times he's sung background for Neil, I wouldn't put them in the same room. But he's worth a listen.

Yeah, the Massey concert CD is great. Loved the Fillmore one too, even if it was a little sparse.

I went through a period in college when I was really into 70s singer-songwriters, and as a result, I own far more James Taylor CDs than anyone under the age of 50 probably should :wink:

His 80s albums aren't great--they're a little too "easy listening" for me--but I do still enjoy Hourglass and a few of the 70s albums. His live two-disc set from awhile back is also good, and I agree that he's better live.

I highly recommend the version of Captain Jim's Drunken Dream that was released as part of the No Nukes concert album. It's such a pretty song, and so much better than the version on In the Pocket.

I need to pick up that new Neil Young album next time I'm out. I listened to a bit of it on iTunes, and it sounds terrific.

I love James Taylor! I saw him in concert a couple of years ago and next to U2 it was probably one of the best concerts I've been to! The clarity and tone of his voice throughout the show was amazing! Lyrically and vocally he's top notch. I'd recomend his "Greatest Hits Vol. 2" and "October Road".:heart:

I saw him last fall in Atlanta, and it was awesome. Would definitely go out of my way to see him again.

Back
Top Bottom