James

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
Since we can use this topic to discuss other bands, I'm wondering what people think of the English band James.

I *finally* got around to getting their '98 "Best of" album bought because I already liked "Laid", "Say Something", "She's a Star", and "Born of Frustration". (I don't buy many CDs a year, and U2 singles and Jewel got in the way.)

First, I don't think it's coincidental that half the songs I already liked were produced by Brian Eno.

Second, I think that of all the very good bands that have followed in U2's footsteps of very honest modern rock -- including Live, Creed, and Radiohead -- James may be one of the best. They're not quite as boisterous, but their songs are very well written and well executed.

Basically, "Say Something", "Out to Get You", and "Runaground" have already touched the same place in my heart that "With or Without You", "One", "Foolish Games", and "Absense of Fear" have touched (if maybe not quite as deeply
wink.gif
).

Anyone else like this band?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 07-10-2000).]

I really like James as well, and their latest album, Millionaires, produced by Eno, is excellent - go and buy it Bubba!

hiya
I've only heard two songs by James, that have been played on the radio here. they are 'laid' and 'destiny calling'. I liked both for ages before I even found out who they were by. Can either of you tell me whether I can get both songs on the same album, or are they off different albums? if so, which is the better one to go for?
regards,
Mermaid

PS Bubba do you like Creed? you mentioned them without saying what you thought of them. Personally their music doesnt seem all that original or interesting - it doesnt give me anywhere near the same feeling as U2 or Radiohead. The only song of theirs that I really like is 'what's this life for?' the one that's playing on the radio here at the moment, 'with arms wide open', is just too soppy and predictable for me. U2 writes emotional, honest songs too: but their lyrics are clever and never predictable, their songs have layers and depth.
Just my opinion...
smile.gif

------------------
'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle'

yay yay yay I just made 'fly'!!!
I feel as though my whole life has been building up to this moment...
wink.gif

no really I'm very proud of myself - I never thought I'd have so much to say about U2!
Mermaid
smile.gif

Hey, Mermaid!

I'm glad to see you're a Fly now! Congratulations!

Anyway, as far as I can tell, "Destiny Calling" is only available on The Best Of album, which was released in '98 and shouldn't be *too* hard to find. (It's probably like the single mix of "Sweetest Thing" on U2's Best of or "Mary Jane's Last Dance" on Petty's Greatest Hits; it's one of two exclusive tracks to get the fanatics to buy a compilation disc.
smile.gif
) The good news is, "Laid" is also on The Best of, which makes sense since it's the only track that I still hear played on the cool radio station in town.

And I don't know whether their Best of is better than any single album because I just got this CD and it's the only James' album I have (so far). But I do know the songs are really strong and the CD was worth the money, IMHO.

I think Creed is okay, but not great. They seem way too reliant on guitar solos and straightforward lyrics, something better post-punk bands (U2, R.E.M., Radiohead, Live) have been able to avoid. Besides, I've never had a real emotional response to their music. Compared to U2--or Jewel or James--their joy and their sadness seem rather ordinary.

Oh, in response to MrBTH, I looked up Millionaires on CDNow, and the album's an import for people in the US! They never released stateside! Argggh.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 07-12-2000).]

James' Laid album is awesome. i would recommend it to anyone. the first track (i can never remember song names because i tend to listen to entire albums) is absolutely beautiful.

Since you mentioned Laid, I looked it up on CDNow. The first track, "Out to Get You" is great; it made The Best Of and was one of the first tracks to stand out when I listened to the entire compilation.

In fact, all four Laid songs to make it to The Best Of ("Out to Get You", "Sometimes", "Say Something", and "Laid") are really special. I've got a feeling Laid will be the next album on my "to-buy" list.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

hi guys
I'm resurrecting this topic from waaaaay back because I have finally purchased the 'best of' album by James. I am very impressed. So far my favourite track is "Sometimes" which is just amazing. Also 'she's a star', which I hadnt heard before, and 'Laid' and 'destiny calling' which were the main reasons I bought the album. I havent had a thorough listen yet, but I'm sure I will discover more gems.

Two interesting things I have learnt about James: 1) I fully believed that they were a recent, young band, of about the same vintage as Radiohead. But they've been going almost as long as U2!!!!!! Another case of guys who are getting older, but still sound young and fresh and energetic.

2) they wrote that 80s anthem 'sit down'! i never knew who wrote that. I have now been enlightened...
smile.gif

Mermaid

I love James! In '98 I also thought they were a new band, until a friend told me how he had been to one of their concerts in the early '90s (I can't remember exactly when)and it seems they put on quite a show! Before Millionaires my favorite songs were "Out to get you" and "Say something", but now that place is reserved for "Just like Fred Astaire". I guess I feel like Ginger Rogers when I listen to that song
wink.gif

Hi Achtung Bubba...James is indeed a good band.
Wouldn't mind them opening for U2 BUT since you mentioned Creed..
I have to say that right now I am listening to Human Clay, With Arms Wide Open. This is a song that I would love to see U2 do a cover of.
It would be even better for Creed and U2 for a concert but Creed has gotten to popular I think as an opening band.
They are my fellow Florida boys..
I can see Scott Stapp's lyrics compared to Bono's..

------------------
Join Amnesty International's October Campaign Against Torture..Read my post on signing the petition.

Can't believe I found this thread. James has got to be my fav 'other' band. I've got most of their stuff now and have seen them 4 times. It helps being from Manchester (home of James) Stand out tracks- Fred Astaire, Tomorrow, Sometimes, Laid, Someone's got it in for me, Medieval...and on and on..
Tim Booth (singer)is a fantastic frontman and 'the' best dancer in the world. Sort of.
Well, that's my sales pitch over. Buy the 'Best Of' and 'Millionaires' and u won't look back

I've only heard the single "Getting Away with It (All Messed Up)" from the new album. It's so Eno and it sounds great! Pop/rock at its best. The album's called "Pleased to meet you" and the funny thing is that the person on the cover does not exist. It's a combination of the characteristics of all the band's members' faces. Cool, eh?

e83513pojco.jpg

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen

[This message has been edited by Sledgehammer (edited 09-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sledgehammer (edited 09-09-2001).]

In trying to think of happier things before I go to bed, I thought I'd respond to this James thread.

I have been a fan since about 94 when a friend gave me the "Laid" CD. My favorite songs of theirs are "Don't Wait That Long" and "Runaground." But all their songs are wonderful. I always thought they were very U2ish in that the lyrics were strong and the music was very well-produced and tight if you know what I mean. Only later did I realize that Eno was behind James. "Don't Wait That Long" is on their album Seven, which I got in the mail the day after I saw the movie of the same name. DWTL is so meditative and reminds me of how we get stuck in relationships which have come to a standstill. To me the song is about moving forward instead of being paralyzed. I absolutely love it, as you can tell.
smile.gif

Anyway, James is great. I'd love to talk about them some more, and maybe when I get the $$$, I'll buy a few more of their albums. For anyone wanting to just check them out, their Best Of is a great place to start. Tim Booth's charisma and energy really comes across well on the albums (I've never seen them live, living in Oklahoma!), and I think that's what makes them great.

"The flood swells his clothes and delivers him on. Delivers him on..."

I got Laid...um..err....let me try that again.

I PURCHASED Laid a few years ago because I liked their song on the Alternative NRG album. They're a great band with a unique sound.

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

Back
Top Bottom