James - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2000, 10:07 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:06 PM
James

Since we can use this topic to discuss other bands, I'm wondering what people think of the English band James.

I *finally* got around to getting their '98 "Best of" album bought because I already liked "Laid", "Say Something", "She's a Star", and "Born of Frustration". (I don't buy many CDs a year, and U2 singles and Jewel got in the way.)

First, I don't think it's coincidental that half the songs I already liked were produced by Brian Eno.

Second, I think that of all the very good bands that have followed in U2's footsteps of very honest modern rock -- including Live, Creed, and Radiohead -- James may be one of the best. They're not quite as boisterous, but their songs are very well written and well executed.

Basically, "Say Something", "Out to Get You", and "Runaground" have already touched the same place in my heart that "With or Without You", "One", "Foolish Games", and "Absense of Fear" have touched (if maybe not quite as deeply ).

Anyone else like this band?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 07-10-2000).]

Old 07-10-2000, 05:49 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 03:06 AM
I really like James as well, and their latest album, Millionaires, produced by Eno, is excellent - go and buy it Bubba!

Old 07-11-2000, 05:11 AM   #3
The Fly

hiya
I've only heard two songs by James, that have been played on the radio here. they are 'laid' and 'destiny calling'. I liked both for ages before I even found out who they were by. Can either of you tell me whether I can get both songs on the same album, or are they off different albums? if so, which is the better one to go for?
regards,
Mermaid

PS Bubba do you like Creed? you mentioned them without saying what you thought of them. Personally their music doesnt seem all that original or interesting - it doesnt give me anywhere near the same feeling as U2 or Radiohead. The only song of theirs that I really like is 'what's this life for?' the one that's playing on the radio here at the moment, 'with arms wide open', is just too soppy and predictable for me. U2 writes emotional, honest songs too: but their lyrics are clever and never predictable, their songs have layers and depth.
Just my opinion...

------------------
'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle'
Old 07-11-2000, 05:14 AM   #4
The Fly

yay yay yay I just made 'fly'!!!
I feel as though my whole life has been building up to this moment...
no really I'm very proud of myself - I never thought I'd have so much to say about U2!
Mermaid
Old 07-12-2000, 09:49 AM   #5
Refugee

Hey, Mermaid!

I'm glad to see you're a Fly now! Congratulations!

Anyway, as far as I can tell, "Destiny Calling" is only available on The Best Of album, which was released in '98 and shouldn't be *too* hard to find. (It's probably like the single mix of "Sweetest Thing" on U2's Best of or "Mary Jane's Last Dance" on Petty's Greatest Hits; it's one of two exclusive tracks to get the fanatics to buy a compilation disc. ) The good news is, "Laid" is also on The Best of, which makes sense since it's the only track that I still hear played on the cool radio station in town.

And I don't know whether their Best of is better than any single album because I just got this CD and it's the only James' album I have (so far). But I do know the songs are really strong and the CD was worth the money, IMHO.

I think Creed is okay, but not great. They seem way too reliant on guitar solos and straightforward lyrics, something better post-punk bands (U2, R.E.M., Radiohead, Live) have been able to avoid. Besides, I've never had a real emotional response to their music. Compared to U2--or Jewel or James--their joy and their sadness seem rather ordinary.

Oh, in response to MrBTH, I looked up Millionaires on CDNow, and the album's an import for people in the US! They never released stateside! Argggh.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 07-12-2000).]
Old 07-13-2000, 12:17 PM   #6
The Fly

James' Laid album is awesome. i would recommend it to anyone. the first track (i can never remember song names because i tend to listen to entire albums) is absolutely beautiful.
Old 07-13-2000, 07:16 PM   #7
Refugee

Since you mentioned Laid, I looked it up on CDNow. The first track, "Out to Get You" is great; it made The Best Of and was one of the first tracks to stand out when I listened to the entire compilation.

In fact, all four Laid songs to make it to The Best Of ("Out to Get You", "Sometimes", "Say Something", and "Laid") are really special. I've got a feeling Laid will be the next album on my "to-buy" list.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba
Old 09-30-2000, 11:34 PM   #8
The Fly

hi guys
I'm resurrecting this topic from waaaaay back because I have finally purchased the 'best of' album by James. I am very impressed. So far my favourite track is "Sometimes" which is just amazing. Also 'she's a star', which I hadnt heard before, and 'Laid' and 'destiny calling' which were the main reasons I bought the album. I havent had a thorough listen yet, but I'm sure I will discover more gems.

Two interesting things I have learnt about James: 1) I fully believed that they were a recent, young band, of about the same vintage as Radiohead. But they've been going almost as long as U2!!!!!! Another case of guys who are getting older, but still sound young and fresh and energetic.

2) they wrote that 80s anthem 'sit down'! i never knew who wrote that. I have now been enlightened...
Mermaid
Old 09-30-2000, 11:50 PM   #9
Babyface

I love James! In '98 I also thought they were a new band, until a friend told me how he had been to one of their concerts in the early '90s (I can't remember exactly when)and it seems they put on quite a show! Before Millionaires my favorite songs were "Out to get you" and "Say something", but now that place is reserved for "Just like Fred Astaire". I guess I feel like Ginger Rogers when I listen to that song
Old 09-30-2000, 11:55 PM   #10
War Child

Hi Achtung Bubba...James is indeed a good band.
Wouldn't mind them opening for U2 BUT since you mentioned Creed..
I have to say that right now I am listening to Human Clay, With Arms Wide Open. This is a song that I would love to see U2 do a cover of.
It would be even better for Creed and U2 for a concert but Creed has gotten to popular I think as an opening band.
They are my fellow Florida boys..
I can see Scott Stapp's lyrics compared to Bono's..

------------------
Join Amnesty International's October Campaign Against Torture..Read my post on signing the petition.
Old 10-04-2000, 07:19 AM   #11
War Child

Can't believe I found this thread. James has got to be my fav 'other' band. I've got most of their stuff now and have seen them 4 times. It helps being from Manchester (home of James) Stand out tracks- Fred Astaire, Tomorrow, Sometimes, Laid, Someone's got it in for me, Medieval...and on and on..
Tim Booth (singer)is a fantastic frontman and 'the' best dancer in the world. Sort of.
Well, that's my sales pitch over. Buy the 'Best Of' and 'Millionaires' and u won't look back
Old 09-09-2001, 04:19 PM   #12
The Fly

I've only heard the single "Getting Away with It (All Messed Up)" from the new album. It's so Eno and it sounds great! Pop/rock at its best. The album's called "Pleased to meet you" and the funny thing is that the person on the cover does not exist. It's a combination of the characteristics of all the band's members' faces. Cool, eh?

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen

[This message has been edited by Sledgehammer (edited 09-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sledgehammer (edited 09-09-2001).]
Old 09-10-2001, 03:29 AM   #13
Acrobat

has anyone heard thier new album?

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy
Old 09-10-2001, 09:22 PM   #14
Refugee

Damn skippy!

Will this new album see a stateside release?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba
Old 09-10-2001, 10:21 PM   #15
Acrobat

That's an awesome cover, I certainly hope it will get released over here in the states.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy