Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:
Railfanning it up at 737 metres above sea-level

IMG_1571.jpg

That's an AWESOME photo, what with the cloud shrouding the hill behind the DXs.

ian answer ax's questions, i wanna know too!

especially cause cells aren't actually dangerous, the FAA was considering allowing them but people want peace and quiet. i often leave my ipod on hidden under my hair and a blanket or sweater.

coolian2 said:

I'm not surprised. Apparently it was a long TranzAlpine train yesterday.

Here was the best should i could manage of the locos themselves, again at Arthurs Pass.

IMG_1623.jpg

Oh, 4513, that's a DC! So a DC/DX combo. The DC class are 1980s rebuilds of my favourite Kiwi diesel locos, the DA class.

Here's a preserved DA, one that escaped either scrapping or rebuilding. Unfortunately not my photos. But damn it looks good.

image002.jpg

image020.jpg

Axver said:

Oh, so you think if, while I'm walking across the tarmac to the plane, I'm photographing all the planes, they shouldn't take issue with it?

I have three questions you might be able to answer, too.

1. Why do they always say to turn off electronic devices prior for take-off and landing? I can understand phones, but as you say, cameras don't broadcast. Nor does my iPod. So why do they need to go off?

2. Why on earth must mobile phones remain switched off while the plane is being refueled?

3. This truly baffled me. Yesterday in Sydney, the plane was being refueled while we boarded, and not only did they ask for phones to be switched off, but those of us who had our seatbelts on were asked to take them off and leave them off until refueling was done. WTF?

They shouldn't, but they might just because at Coolangatta they have pretty narrow walking lanes and don't want you slowing people up. Plus, there is bound to be some idiot there who'll think you're a terrorist. But it's worth trying.

1. I don't know. It's old thinking, i suspect. Frankly, if my camera is enough to cause the plane problems on take off or landing i'm far more fucking worried about the plane i'm on. The iPod may be because if something goes wrong you can easily hear instructions and not be obstructed by headphones as you run like hell.

2. I guess the same thinking that applies at petrol stations.

3. Refueling planes has a nasty tendency to become explosive. You don't want to be strapped in if you have to bolt from the plane if there is a fire. Amusingly, today most of us got on, put on our seatbelts as usual and after 10 minutes the flight attendant got on the PA and told us not to do up our seatbelts because they were refueling. I've always thought this might be a useful announcement in the gate lounge rather than after 10 minutes on the plane.

A lot of rules on planes are largely antiquated, but i don't think anybody is game enough to run practical tests to see if we can move on from them.

Varitek said:
ian answer ax's questions, i wanna know too!

especially cause cells aren't actually dangerous, the FAA was considering allowing them but people want peace and quiet. i often leave my ipod on hidden under my hair and a blanket or sweater.

I'm sure cell phones aren't dangerous. When i flew Wellington - Christchurch last year my mate left his phone on accidentally and we survived.

weird about refueling, i've never been on a plane that's done that, in the states they do it before you board.

the most i've sat on a plane was one shit delay in italy for god knows what (plus we circled over boston for weather...so it ended up being 10+ hours when it shoulda been 7.5) (plus with the delay, my mom had been late, but they still wouldn't let her on the plane even though it was just sitting there)

and this time in uganda where they had to kick a passenger off the plane and then offload a bunch of baggage til they found his.

coolian2 said:

I'm sure cell phones aren't dangerous. When i flew Wellington - Christchurch last year my mate left his phone on accidentally and we survived.

i've left my phone on or it's turned on (back when i didn't have a flip phone) and it's been fine. my phone has a flight mode which is nice, no signal but i can still use the alarm. and like i said, i've listened to my ipod during takeoff and landing and i'm here typing about it now. gasp.

Varitek said:
weird about refueling, i've never been on a plane that's done that, in the states they do it before you board.

the most i've sat on a plane was one shit delay in italy for god knows what (plus we circled over boston for weather...so it ended up being 10+ hours when it shoulda been 7.5) (plus with the delay, my mom had been late, but they still wouldn't let her on the plane even though it was just sitting there)

and this time in uganda where they had to kick a passenger off the plane and then offload a bunch of baggage til they found his.

Refueling offers faster turn around times, usually it's done by lower cost airlines. We mainly did it today because everything that had to pass through Auckland this morning was delayed due to fog - not helped because the plane routes Auckland-Wellington-Christchurch before going back to Auckland.

Varitek said:

i've left my phone on or it's turned on (back when i didn't have a flip phone) and it's been fine. my phone has a flight mode which is nice, no signal but i can still use the alarm. and like i said, i've listened to my ipod during takeoff and landing and i'm here typing about it now. gasp.

I use a digital camera - and a fairly meaty one at that - on takeoff and landing and i'm reviewing the photos and video from that right now. I'm lucky to be alive, or so you would believe with the idiots at airliners.net.

The plane that flew me home this morning. It's rather unusually named Bewitching Broome, a sign of it's previous life in the Virgin Blue fleet.

I've actually flown on this one before back when it operated for Virgin Blue.

IMG_1669.jpg

coolian2 said:
They shouldn't, but they might just because at Coolangatta they have pretty narrow walking lanes and don't want you slowing people up. Plus, there is bound to be some idiot there who'll think you're a terrorist. But it's worth trying.

1. I don't know. It's old thinking, i suspect. Frankly, if my camera is enough to cause the plane problems on take off or landing i'm far more fucking worried about the plane i'm on. The iPod may be because if something goes wrong you can easily hear instructions and not be obstructed by headphones as you run like hell.

2. I guess the same thinking that applies at petrol stations.

3. Refueling planes has a nasty tendency to become explosive. You don't want to be strapped in if you have to bolt from the plane if there is a fire. Amusingly, today most of us got on, put on our seatbelts as usual and after 10 minutes the flight attendant got on the PA and told us not to do up our seatbelts because they were refueling. I've always thought this might be a useful announcement in the gate lounge rather than after 10 minutes on the plane.

A lot of rules on planes are largely antiquated, but i don't think anybody is game enough to run practical tests to see if we can move on from them.

I think I might ask in the terminal beforehand if they mind photography. When I got off in Coolangatta yesterday, it immediately struck me that it would be awesome for photography. And I'm usually the guy walking past everyone ... good God people walk too slow.

1. Ah, righto. I've accidentally left my phone on, and more often than not my iPod's on as it has a habit of turning itself on in my pocket, and I'm still here to talk about it! Are there actually documented instances of this stuff fucking up planes, or is it just cautiousness?

2. I was under the impression that was little more than an urban myth ...

3. This was the first time I've encountered a "please leave your seatbelts unfastened" announcement, though I've had the mobile phone one before. I figure that if the plane becomes explosive, we're all fucked anyway!

coolian2 said:
The plane that flew me home this morning. It's rather unusually named Bewitching Broome, a sign of it's previous life in the Virgin Blue fleet.

I've actually flown on this one before back when it operated for Virgin Blue.

IMG_1669.jpg

Wait, that's in Christchurch? I thought all the larger planes in Christchurch went to the airbridges.

0. i walk fast too. it's a byproduct of the northeast coast. you'd fit in here.

1. there's a hold button ax. and i'm pretty sure it's paranoia but ian might know for certain.

2. i don't usually think aobut this, but i'm pretty sure from inside a car at least, i've used a cell at gas stations. maybe not. i've never paid it much mind.

3. yes, that .5 seconds to get the seatbelt off is not going to help in an explosion. but the swift exit is the logic behind putting your seat in its "full upright position" and part of the logic behind stuffing your shit under the seat in front of you - the other part of that being, if the plane goes haywire, ti won't start rattling around in the cabin and knock people out.

coolian2 said:

:up:

Bet you appreciated the height level. :wink:

Also, got to love all these Kiwi place names that are possessives but lack the apostrophe. Donnellys Crossing in Northland shits me the most.

Axver said:

1. Ah, righto. I've accidentally left my phone on, and more often than not my iPod's on as it has a habit of turning itself on in my pocket, and I'm still here to talk about it! Are there actually documented instances of this stuff fucking up planes, or is it just cautiousness?

2. I was under the impression that was little more than an urban myth ...

3. This was the first time I've encountered a "please leave your seatbelts unfastened" announcement, though I've had the mobile phone one before. I figure that if the plane becomes explosive, we're all fucked anyway!

1. I think on occasions there have been cases of a lot of phones causing small problems. But generally i think it's cautiousness.

2. Same.

3. Exactly! I think they think you have a better chance of getting the fuck away without your seatbelt.

Varitek said:
0. i walk fast too. it's a byproduct of the northeast coast. you'd fit in here.

1. there's a hold button ax. and i'm pretty sure it's paranoia but ian might know for certain.

2. i don't usually think aobut this, but i'm pretty sure from inside a car at least, i've used a cell at gas stations. maybe not. i've never paid it much mind.

3. yes, that .5 seconds to get the seatbelt off is not going to help in an explosion. but the swift exit is the logic behind putting your seat in its "full upright position" and part of the logic behind stuffing your shit under the seat in front of you - the other part of that being, if the plane goes haywire, ti won't start rattling around in the cabin and knock people out.

0. Nobody has ever passed me when walking at my full speed. It's barely any slower than my run!

1. I don't use the hold button much - I usually forget it's on and then I wonder why my iPod won't work!

2. I've used my mobile phone plenty of times at petrol stations and still here to talk about it.

3. Oh, yeah, I always got the logic with the luggage and upright seat. What's with needing to have the window blinds open on take-off and landing though? That one confuses me.

Axver said:

Wait, that's in Christchurch? I thought all the larger planes in Christchurch went to the airbridges.

Generally yeah, but because of the gigantor motherfucking delays out of Auckland the Qantas flight at our gate didn't leave until we had done most of our boarding, and as such we needed the remote stand.

Axver said:

What's with needing to have the window blinds open on take-off and landing though? That one confuses me.

Probably to judge "oh fuck, fire...i'm not going that way". Which is a bit redundant.

I like it because it means you get rid of the fucking idiots who feel the need to close the blind and hide away the view. Hey, fuck you. We're close to the ground and can see shit. Don't close the blind!

Axver said:

:up:

Bet you appreciated the height level. :wink:

Also, got to love all these Kiwi place names that are possessives but lack the apostrophe. Donnellys Crossing in Northland shits me the most.

:laugh: It had amused me.

I liked that someone had added an apostrophe to the signs at Arthurs Pass.

Axver said:

0. Nobody has ever passed me when walking at my full speed. It's barely any slower than my run!

1. I don't use the hold button much - I usually forget it's on and then I wonder why my iPod won't work!

2. I've used my mobile phone plenty of times at petrol stations and still here to talk about it.

3. Oh, yeah, I always got the logic with the luggage and upright seat. What's with needing to have the window blinds open on take-off and landing though? That one confuses me.

0. i've got shorter legs than you, but yeah, i don't get passed often when at full speed

1. sooooooo bad for your battery!

2. :up:

3. the blinds...maybe what ian said, but yeah, it's annoying, and it pisses me off when i get woken up to open a blind and then the sun is bright so i can't get back to sleep. i love white noise on planes, and sleeping on planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom