Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:

All the way to Greymouth....the 25 minutes we spend wandering there was quite enough for me to take in Greymouth.

I'm glad i convinced my sister to go to the Antarctic Centre, the storm room was fucking awesome, i can safely say i've been as cold as i ever will be, -19 degrees. It was a good comparison because it would have been minus something in the Waimakarere valley yesterday morning.

To say there isn't much to do in Greymouth is an understatement. It actually used to be railfan central, up until the 1970s. It was a railway and shipping town. But now most coal is mined further north and railed over to Lyttelton. Personally, although I've been to Greymouth, it was by car - I've done the TranzAlpine only as far as Arthur's Pass.

Oooh, I remember the storm room. That fucking rocks. I need to go back to Christchurch someday soon. I passed through its airport last June, but that's not really much ...

Could there be any less happening on the Internet? I have still an hour or so to kill and I'm wondering what the hell to do with my time.

Axver said:
Could there be any less happening on the Internet? I have still an hour or so to kill and I'm wondering what the hell to do with my time.

I had the same thought in an internet cafe the other day - i spent half an hour in one and i was struggling for things to do.

I was feeling that way earlier this evening...I was bored enough to contemplate the meaning of Larry drumming pointlessly

Axver said:

Watch this 140 times :wink::

pictureeb3.gif

Ok, if these look shit i'm going to blame the photobucket auto-resize.

IMG_1326.jpg

Polynesian Blue 737, the plane the flew me both to Wellington and from Wellington to Christchurch. The fucking thing was stalking me, because it was at Christchurch airport this morning.

coolian2 said:
Oh, why the hell have they changed the Photobucket upload interface?

Photobucket's been shit for years anyway. I remember when I signed up, it was very simplistic and easy to use. Now it just bugs me.

Hey Ian, I took some photos you'll like in Sydney yesterday. I'll upload them once I get home tomorrow.

i would join the photowhoring if i had anything to whore with...maybe pics of the red sox, but i did that in the fenway park thread

coolian2 said:

I think they may have jumped the shark now.

I might just shift over to Flickr, i've got a free pro account there.

I'm about to log into my account now to see how it's changed. Shame I didn't bring my camera's transfer cable though, so Ican't actually upload anything new.

I've been thinking of switching hosts too. I have 10GB on LiveJournal's Scrapbook - think I still have 9GB or so of that left.

coolian2 said:

:up:

I tried to do some railfanning for you, a handful should be done uploading soon.

Ooh, awesome. :hyper:

I didn't get many pictures and they probably aren't very good, but I'm sure you'll appreciate them anyway and I'll try to get some more in Coolangatta and Melbourne tomorrow. I wish I could take out my camera and do some photography on the tarmac at Coolangatta, but since they tell you to keep your mobile phone off until you're in the terminal, I imagine they'd be pissed about a camera too.

Varitek said:
i would join the photowhoring if i had anything to whore with...maybe pics of the red sox, but i did that in the fenway park thread

We need someone obsessed with boats, to complement my trains/trams and Ian's planes.

Axver said:

Ooh, awesome. :hyper:

I didn't get many pictures and they probably aren't very good, but I'm sure you'll appreciate them anyway and I'll try to get some more in Coolangatta and Melbourne tomorrow. I wish I could take out my camera and do some photography on the tarmac at Coolangatta, but since they tell you to keep your mobile phone off until you're in the terminal, I imagine they'd be pissed about a camera too.

Remember, cameras don't broadcast. I think they'd have a bigger problem with you stopping to do something than the camera running.

None of the Virgin flight attendants blinked when i was waving my camera around on all three flights.

coolian2 said:
Well, while this slowly uploads, here is the holy grail of New Zealand

IMG_1401.jpg

:drool: :drool:

I love arriving in Wellington, just for the drive from the airport to the city. Either go the long way around Evans and Oriental Bays and get the scenic trip, or go the direct way through the Mount Vic tunnel and get the Basin waiting to greet you.

Axver said:

:drool: :drool:

I love arriving in Wellington, just for the drive from the airport to the city. Either go the long way around Evans and Oriental Bays and get the scenic trip, or go the direct way through the Mount Vic tunnel and get the Basin waiting to greet you.

Forget the drive, which is great - the approach from the north where you fly the final approach right past the city is breathtaking. And it was just a perfectly clear day when i arrived.

coolian2 said:
IMG_1547.jpg

TRAIN GOING INTO A TUNNEL!

:lol: Awesome. :drool:

I think you got a DF/DX combo there. The trailing locomotive is definitely a DX class. Hard to tell the leading one - but if its number starts with a 7, then it's a DF. The DX is the most powerful locomotive in New Zealand apart from the EF class electrics that run between Palmy North and Hamilton.

coolian2 said:

Remember, cameras don't broadcast. I think they'd have a bigger problem with you stopping to do something than the camera running.

None of the Virgin flight attendants blinked when i was waving my camera around on all three flights.

Oh, so you think if, while I'm walking across the tarmac to the plane, I'm photographing all the planes, they shouldn't take issue with it?

I have three questions you might be able to answer, too.

1. Why do they always say to turn off electronic devices prior for take-off and landing? I can understand phones, but as you say, cameras don't broadcast. Nor does my iPod. So why do they need to go off?

2. Why on earth must mobile phones remain switched off while the plane is being refueled?

3. This truly baffled me. Yesterday in Sydney, the plane was being refueled while we boarded, and not only did they ask for phones to be switched off, but those of us who had our seatbelts on were asked to take them off and leave them off until refueling was done. WTF?

Axver said:

:lol: Awesome. :drool:

I think you got a DF/DX combo there. The trailing locomotive is definitely a DX class. Hard to tell the leading one - but if its number starts with a 7, then it's a DF. The DX is the most powerful locomotive in New Zealand apart from the EF class electrics that run between Palmy North and Hamilton.

I'm not surprised. Apparently it was a long TranzAlpine train yesterday.

Here was the best should i could manage of the locos themselves, again at Arthurs Pass.

IMG_1623.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom