Jack Johnson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
any fans of him here?

when i first heard him, i wrote him off because i thought he was boring and straightforward singer/songwriter

but hearing some of his work with Handsome Boy Modelling School providing the vocals for Breakdown

and now his new song Upside Down - which is INCREDIBLE - and touches this weird mysterious spot which is hard to reach, the man must arguably possess one of the most emotive voices imaginable

Can't stand him.
However I do respect his talent to write catchy stuff. Acoustic groove needs to die now.

Jack Johnson gets ragged big time at another board I go to. I got his song "Gone" from a compilation CD, and it's all right...but I'm not really moved to check him out further.

he sounds a bit like g. love
i know they havve worked on songs together...i dunno why g love hardly gets any radio play...
his songs are cool...but i guess they arent for the mainstream though

Some of my friends like him, but his music does nothing for me. Im pretty much on a musical island by myself if we compare musical tastes where I live.

It's hard to say anything bad about the guy because his music is so..... just there. It is so incredibly middle of the road that it is virtualy the direct centre. It doesn't do anything to stray itself into bland, but doesn't do anything to stray itself into interesting either. It's just there.

One thing though: I fucking hate his fans. Dumb fuck surfers who think they've found god in music and are "oh so deep" because Jack Johnson is asking the big questions in life (like, "why don't newsreaders cry when they read out the news?") and is, like, totaly great to get wasted to and, like, girls dig that you like that sensitive stuff.

Jack Johnson himself says his music is just meant to suit the background when you are having a quiet bbq. That much I agree with. Really annoys me that he's held up as this spectacularly great musician by some.

I hear ya earnie shavers. I personally am NOT down with the new brand of chillin' acoustic 'roots' that Johnson is just one small cog/representative of (see also Ben Harper, Xavier Rudd, The Beautiful Girls, et al). It's a vast machine that is seemingly conquering the (roots) music world over the last three or four years.

All rather bland, really. It sure doesn't speak to anything in my life.

Did I mention I'm not down with it? But hey, conservative times deserve conservative music.

Last edited:
if you like his music you will deinately love G. love and special sauce..
Jack J is the guest on the song "Rodeo Clowns" on Philadelphonic
i think he may have wrote that. i know he has his own version

"yeah its that easy" is another good one fro beginners by G & SS

ive just come from listening to jack johnson in the car...hes got a very smooth cool sounding voice..and very nice guitars...

but where his music comes to a certain point.....g love picks it up and takes it way down the road a piece

Last edited:
christ, how does this retard have a career? i guess there's a vast untapped market of frat boys who find the dave matthews band to be too intensely bleak and musically challenging.

Kieran McConville said:
I hear ya earnie shavers. I personally am NOT down with the new brand of chillin' acoustic 'roots' that Johnson is just one small cog/representative of (see also Ben Harper, Xavier Rudd, The Beautiful Girls, et al). It's a vast machine that is seemingly conquering the (roots) music world over the last three or four years.

All rather bland, really. It sure doesn't speak to anything in my life.

Did I mention I'm not down with it? But hey, conservative times deserve conservative music.

I'd like to pull Ben Harper aside from that list briefly - his early music is great, and it's certainly not his fault that a bunch of faux surfie potheads pulled one side of his music (folky acoustic), turned the bland notch up (or does it go down?) as far as it can go, and zeroed in on one message, one image, one segment of Ben Harpers world. His lyrics are far better, music is far better, far smarter guy who has a lot of anger and serious political suggestion in his music. I've been going to Ben Harper live since 1998, and his crowds have changed massively. Incredibly. He has with them as well, releasing two very commercial albums. I notice that since Jack Johnson etc really rose, he has disappeared. Hasn't released a thing in a few years. The last Ben Harper show I saw was 2003 and I left halfway through. Loaded with teenage girls swooning, and boofhead surfie guys cheering on Bob Marley covers while punching their way to the front to grab one of the girls. Fucked.

kieran, i dunno - but to me it sounds like you're down with 7ack.

would you please clarify, one way or the other?

YOu know what Caisenema, I'm about sick and tired of your librul PC meter, just turn it DOWN a notch dude! Step off!

Earnie Shavers, once again I hear ya. I do quite enjoy some of Ben Harper's earlier fire and brimstone workouts, though I always did feel his lyrics were kind of over-rated.

But since 'steal my kisses' he might as well be Jack Johnson and vice versa. Which may be why he doesn't bother releasing albums anymore.

Back
Top Bottom