I've started writing my first screenplay.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
I was originally planning on writing a semi-autobiographical romantic drama/dark comedy, and I still am planning on writing that. One day. But I feel like that project has to be perfect, so I thought it might be a good idea to write a few other things first to practice the technique and hone my writing skills a bit before tackling that story.

I today I downloaded some screenwriting software and got to work. I just sort of started out writing a completely improvised scene with some funny dialogue, and now I already have 6 or 7 pages of what could be the opening sequence of a film. It's probably going to turn out to be a Tarantino/Guy Richie-esque crime film with a focus on sharp dialogue and a limited amount of totally badass action. But right now I really don't have an idea of where the story is going to go at all. But I do have some good character ideas, and one really strong opening sequence which could really go anywhere. I'm extremely excited about this, and I think it could turn out to be a damn good script one day.

I think for the first time in my time here I understand the eeksmiley. You are the first person to ever use it in a place where it makes sense. I applaud thee.

For your screen play - why not mix that romantic drama/dark comedy you had planned, and midway through, turn it to horror, like your* inner self really wants. DO IT!

ETA - Also, I think you should call it "Electric Ave." The Eddie Grant song is a must. Real dingy 80s New York cinema. Yeaaaah. I like this movie Lance - keep it going!

*probably "mine".

I've also been wanting to write something substantial for the past few months, I've thrown some ideas around for various scripts but have been too busy with school to write anything.

I like your idea, like I said in the B&C thread. All you need to do is make the audience care about your characters, if you don't, you're screwed.

(See: The Original Trilogy of Star Wars vs. The Prequel Trilogy)

I started writing screenplays and teleplays several months ago and I had the same problems. It really helps to write scenes to music. It might help to make a playlist where every song is a scene. That way the movie is sort of planned out. I'd suggest watching some David Lynch films because they show the different ways of telling a story outside of simply telling it.

Good luck with the script, Lancemc. :wave:

I actually had an idea tonight that I think the two stories could actually really work well together. I'm a little scared to weave the full romantic plot into the criminal, stylish screenplay I'm working on now. They would actually work very well together, but the film would definitely take on a more serious tone. :hmm: We'll see.

Lancemc said:
I actually had an idea tonight that I think the two stories could actually really work well together. I'm a little scared to weave the full romantic plot into the criminal, stylish screenplay I'm working on now. They would actually work very well together, but the film would definitely take on a more serious tone. :hmm: We'll see.

Three ideas to just throw out there:

1. Maybe you could make it a double feature with both films being of a different genre but with the same characters.
2. The romantic story could be a long flashback or dream and the crime drama could be the rest of the film.
3. The romantic story could rest in the middle of the crime story as a way of gaining the audience's respect characters and thier motivations before the climax.

:reject:

Screwtape2 said:

Three ideas to just throw out there:

3. The romantic story could rest in the middle of the crime story as a way of gaining the audience's respect characters and thier motivations before the climax.

This is almost what I was thinking about doing. But really, I think the romance story would be best served as its own entity. I'm almost sure of that now. Though the romance angle is autobiographic, I'm going to dramatize it quite a bit. The story I want to tell is extremely dark, far more tragedy than comedy.

This other thing I started writing...who knows. Probably won't evolve into anything of value, but maybe.

Lance, good luck with the writing process. If I could offer any advice, it would be to keep your ideas apart from each other for now. It will be easier for you to focus on fleshing out just the one story, this early into your writing efforts. Perhaps, as you gain experience, you can better weave disparate stories into one exciting story. Regardless, it's exciting that you're undertaking this sort of endeavor. I hope you enjoy it and that it bears fruit. Oh, and the advice given earlier, to make your characters interesting, might seem obvious but it's great advice. The plot can be astoundingly clever, but, if the people are wooden then it's hard to make people care. Not impossible, but hard. Good luck!!!!!

No spoken words said:
Lance, good luck with the writing process. If I could offer any advice, it would be to keep your ideas apart from each other for now. It will be easier for you to focus on fleshing out just the one story, this early into your writing efforts. Perhaps, as you gain experience, you can better weave disparate stories into one exciting story. Regardless, it's exciting that you're undertaking this sort of endeavor. I hope you enjoy it and that it bears fruit. Oh, and the advice given earlier, to make your characters interesting, might seem obvious but it's great advice. The plot can be astoundingly clever, but, if the people are wooden then it's hard to make people care. Not impossible, but hard. Good luck!!!!!

Thanks. And I know about the characters. Making likable characters is the easy part. I'm having trouble coming up with a clever story right now. :lol:

Lancemc said:

Thanks. And I know about the characters. Making likable characters is the easy part. I'm having trouble coming up with a clever story right now. :lol:

Once you establish the characters though, the story will come natural since you'll have an idea of what they can and cannot do.

That statement didn't scare Edge. The fact that he didn't blush did scare him. In fact, there was no sense of blood in him at all. No heartbeat, no warmth at all.

Bono raised his voice, "Alright I'm coming in, damn you."

The door was thrown from its hinges, and, with a hydraulic hiss, the voice from outside stepped into the room. Edge heard clanking, and, was it hissing?

"What's going on Bono," he said, still unable to see.

"Oh, there have been a few changes. I'm going to roll you over."

"Now?" said Edge, wondering why Bono was so aroused.

"Not for that, silly," said the frontman. "I have to turn you on - fully."

Edge felt himself being rolled over onto his stomach, but there was a lot of effort to it apparently, and he didn't remember having so many corners when being rolled over in the past.

Back
Top Bottom