I've seen the light...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
Prior to now, I just didn't "get" Radiohead's Kid A. It was just too weird for me. I mean, I can remember hearing the title track, wondering "what the hell were they thinking?!", and turning off the album. I liked some of the tracks in the latter half of the album, like Optimistic and In Limbo, but that was it.

Now, after nearly a year, I have FINALLY grown to like Kid A. Songs that I previously thought were crap, due to the weird effects (EIIRP, The National Anthem, Kid A, Idioteque, etc.), I now love.

There's nothing better than albums that grow on you. :D It's funny how they just sort of slap you in the face, leaving you dazed and incredulous that you could have ever disliked them.

Welcome! Have you been able to get into Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief? I find Hail to the Thief to be fairly straightforward (even if it is still weird) but some of Amnesiac is impossible (Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, Like Spinning Plates, Hunting Bears). Of course Amnesiac also has Pyramid Song, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out, You and Whose Army and Packt Like Sardines... so it is still worth it.

Oddly enough, I found it very easy to get into Hail to the Thief. I still effing hate Backdrifts, The Gloaming, and We Suck Young Blood, but that's beside the point. :wink: I found the rest of the album to be quite enjoyable. 2+2=5, Where I End And You Begin, Myxomatosis, There There, and A Wolf at the Door are all very good. But I absolutely could not get into Amnesiac. Hunting Bears makes me want to scream...and not in a good way. I only really like Knives Out (brilliant), You and Whose Army, and Pyramid Song. But who knows, maybe I'll get into that one in a couple of years too. :shrug:

*Takes another listen to Hail To The Thei

The only radiohead album that hasn't grown on my yet.

Yeah, HTTT does have its strange moments and songs that are downright crap. But give it some time, you might like it yet. :wink:

u2popmofo said:

I disagree 14593%

You're telling me The Gloaming is good? :eyebrow: The only part I like about it is the "when the walls bend" part. Everything else? Pure, utter crap. And Backdrifts is painful.

GibsonGirl said:

You're telling me The Gloaming is good? :eyebrow: The only part I like about it is the "when the walls bend" part. Everything else? Pure, utter crap. And Backdrifts is painful.

Yes, I am. Sorry that I like music that is different than you do. Thank you for generalizing to the point of thinking your opinion rules all other human opinion on earth.

:wink:

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

Yes, I am. Sorry that I like music that is different than you do. Thank you for generalizing to the point of thinking your opinion rules all other human opinion on earth.

:wink:

Generalising is fun. :wink:

I see your point. But I still just can't get into those songs. The rest of the album is fantastic, don't get me wrong. It's just those three that I can't stand. It's like me and "Miami". Miami is the only U2 song I absolutely LOATHE with every strand and fibre of my body. I still think Pop is a good album, but I could really do without that little pile of what I consider to be horse sheeet.

You think The Gloaming sucks? You obviously didn't see them live. :ohmy:

Best song of the show.

I also like Backdrifts, not so keen on We Suck Young Blood really. Adore every other song on the album. There seems to be a trend on Atease (Radiohead forum) of not liking Hail To The Theif, but I love it.

As for Kid A... :drool: .... damn fine album.

Hail to the Thief is one of my absolute favorites. I love every song.

:up:

u2popmofo said:
Thank you for generalizing to the point of thinking your opinion rules all other human opinion on earth.

I once wrote a poem about solipsism.

Good times.

:up:

Radiohead never come out to my neck of the woods, so nope, never seen them play The Gloaming live. It may be one of those songs that just sounds better live, but before I witness that for myself, I'm still going to be rather unpartial to it. :)

And yes, they definitely don't like HTTT over at Atease...in fact, I stopped going to that forum ages ago, some of the people there were that bloody unpleasant. I don't really understand their dislike towards HTTT, though. I mean, it's got some great guitar work on it as well as some fantastic melodies. But, as always, it just comes down to personal preference.

congrats. kid a is an amazing album...imagine how much better it would have been if they had dumped godrich?

the gloaming and backdrifts are very good songs, ESPECIALLY live. unreal, you must download the Earls Court show. anyone have the link for it? seriously, it'll change your mind.

it again goes to show how godrich suffocates radiohead.

The Gloaming live is fucking immense, if you have a good stereo that can boom the bass it really makes the song jump out at you.

I had pit in Camden 2003 and they opened with the Gloaming, the bass made my chest reverberate. Class.

The DJ Shadow remix is also spec-fucking-tacular. It's under the moniker "Would You Buy a War From This Man"

My favorite radiohead song is - Let down

Sometimes i forget how amazing this band is,, I need to play their cd´s more often..

Congrats on seeing the light that is Kid A. It was the album that made me see the light of Radiohead in the first place.

HTTT: I love The Gloaming and Backdrifts. The Gloaming is one of my favorite songs on there, though I think the whole album is phenomenal. I haven't seen Radiohead live, but I have heard live versions of The Gloaming. :drool:

And I gotta step up and defend me some Amnesiac. Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors--I like listening to it. A lot. As for Like Spinning Plates, people who don't care for it should check out the version of it on their live CD (I Might Be Wrong). It really is beautiful and might give you an appreciation for the album version.

what CAN'T you do, yertle? :wink:

that's exactly what i wanted. now i demand everyone download that entire show. it's sexier than g-strings on guitars.

Woah, I just realized that I've had this show on my computer for months now....goes to listen now!

Thanks for posting that, Yertle. I've only had a song or two, time for the whole shebang.

radiohead are awesome, a lot of bands i like where like that at first... i didnt like them first listen but now i love it, in the last months i have finally been able to appreciate and love the mars volta, bruce springsteen and bright eyes

Back
Top Bottom