I've Just Seen a Face - CSGW Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a big fan at all, I just had to hear this album :lol:

Everyone has been banging on about it for ages, and I am a fan of the name... but no. I'm happy with my 'alternative' music thanks :up:

What exactly constitues as "alternative"? I'm totally musically illiterate, someone help me out here....

Alternative can mean anything really :lol:

Anything non-mainstream could be classed as alternative

Or it could be say a pop/rock band who although playing a style that is generally mainstream; playing it differently from normal in some way.

I'd say some of their music is alternative, especially when it's different to what they usually sound like... the passengers album certainly is.

Aha, has U2 done anything alternative then? Or are they solely classified as rock? :hmm:

For U2 being alternative, the best examples would probably be their 90s work, especially Achtung and Zooropa. Pop might be classed as it but it also has a lot of Dance-Rock elements in parts too. While their later work ATYCLB is pretty Pop/Rock and HTDAAB is just Rock.

Their 80s work is harder to classify as music was so different then. Their first three albums were pretty Post-Punk, although that is often called Alternative too. TUF and TJT would of been pretty alternative at the time too. TUF probably still would be classed as it.

And Passengers of course as well.

I'd actually call Passengers prog or art rock. It is almost too weird to be considered alternative.

It depends on how you class Alternative. Mainly whether you class it as being a real genre or not I guess...most of the time a record is rarely just alternative

It depends on how you class Alternative. Mainly whether you class it as being a real genre or not I guess...most of the time a record is rarely just alternative

True. Though Passengers has clear progressive elements instead of simply being different. It is a gray area but I think it is prog. I know when we did the Prog Island Game, a couple Passengers tracks were on some of the playlists.

True. Though Passengers has clear progressive elements instead of simply being different. It is a gray area but I think it is prog. I know when we did the Prog Island Game, a couple Passengers tracks were on some of the playlists.

I'd say Alternative as a genre tag is best used to describe more than one album by an artist. I'd say 90s U2 in generally were Alternative Pop being quite Dance-Rock influenced, Passengers having a lot of Art-Rock and Prog-Rock influences too, which were also found in Zooropa too

So alternative is basically anything that's not classified as rock and/or pop? :hmm: So yeah I can see how Zooropa would be labeled alternative... Which other specific songs?

The Smiths are alternative for instance. :wink:

*tries to start discussion of The Smiths*

I don't think I'd say the Smiths are alternative... but that might just be because the smiths are SO big over here, and they're played SO often, that it's hard to imagine anything other than mainstream. I still love them more than life itself, though :D

Wayne on holiday with 2 women :lol: You stud, you.

:lmao: such a stud, going to disneyland!

My Chinese Democracy review

"Ah the fabled Chinese Democracy, years in the making and with everyone either expecting, it to be awful or to be amazing or people not really caring either way. I fall into the third category, I was never a big Guns N' Roses fan, although they do have a few great songs. This album however, I just had to hear it. It doesn't matter whether it sucks or not, I just had to hear it.

The album kicks off with the title track, which has a nice enough build up and rocks better hard. All good so far right? Well that is until Axl starts singing. Overall on this album it is his vocals that are the weakest link and it's painfully obvious right from the start. However, some brilliant instrumentation makes up for that on "Chinese Democracy", giving the album a pretty good start. However, it was obviously far too good to last and by the second track "Shackler's Revenge", the album already has a major dip in quality. "Better" also has its high points and sounds like it could be a really great track until that part of the chorus, that just lets the whole thing down completely. The completely boring second half of the song doesn't help it either.

The over-the-top "Street of Dreams" proves to be a surprising highlight of the album, with strings, piano and everything you expect in a ballad, come together and actually work quite well. Too bad Axl seems incapable of making more than one great track at once; "If the World" while showing the band trying something new at times, just doesn't work at all. From this point on however the album just turns into background music; some great guitar work, some over-produced vocals but nothing that grabs attention at all. It's with the half a minute intro to "Riad 'n the Bedouins" that the album finally grabs the listener's attention again. However Axl again delivers a really sub-par vocal performance that just ruins the whole thing again. Half of his vocals in this song are him screaming, which just does not work. The song however sounds at least slightly interesting, so that's an improvement on the last several tracks; too bad it really struggles to deliver anything beyond that.

"Sorry" has everything a bad song should have. Awful guest vocals, uninteresting guitar-work, and over-processed vocals by Axl; it is easily the worst song on the album. The fact that it also doubles as the third longest song on the album doesn't help matters either. The equally awful "I.R.S." comes next and really the less said about that one the better. "This I Love" is meant to be one of the earliest written tracks on the album and it's no surprise that it also happens to be one of the five strongest tracks on the album. The final track "Prostitute" is a fairly strong song too, much better than the majority of the other album and the album at least finishes on a high.

Overall the album is pretty weak; with about two songs that I would class as being great and about three maybe that are good. The majority of the songs are simply average, with a couple of bad ones thrown in as well. Surprisingly the weakest link on this album is not the band; it is Axl. Despite being basically the Axl solo show, the band proves to be much stronger than him in every regard, with some of the solos even being pretty great. So where can Guns N' Rose go from here? It's simple; they should get rid of Axl.

3.6/10"

I don't think I'd say the Smiths are alternative... but that might just be because the smiths are SO big over here, and they're played SO often, that it's hard to imagine anything other than mainstream. I still love them more than life itself, though :D

We'll have to consult the expert, where's Cassie? :wink:

Reel Around The Fountain has to be my favorite by them. It is so beautiful. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom