I've fallen in love with Don't Believe The Truth all over again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I cannot resist starting this thread... really I can't! I know there is already a thread devoted to Oasis' last album but I'm experiencing some kind of re-kindled love here. This album is so full of gorgeous, almost psychedelic melodies that I want to go back and discover everything I missed between 1998 and 2004. Yeah.. after Be Here Now, I didn't get any of their albums.. only knew the popular singles. But anyway, I was listening to Truth on my way back from work today and I don't know if the beautiful sunny weather had something to do with it but I found myself thoroughly enjoying and singing along to every single song on this record. Whereas before I would listen from Turn Up The Sun thru Idle, skip to Abel and quickly to Let There Be Love. I still don't think this can top the sheer intensity of Morning Glory but I think it's one of their best albums in years! Eagerly awaiting the next one! :heart:

There is no weak track on this album, I've loved it since the first listen. :love:

definitely their best since Morning Glory, and although there aren't any individual classics except maybe "The Importance of Being Idle" and "Let There Be Love", it's completely solid.

It's not a return to their brit-pop days, but it's most definitely a sign that there's still life in this band.

LemonMacPhisto said:
There is no weak track on this album, I've loved it since the first listen. :love:

:up: :yes:

Sad to say, but I had not heard much from Oasis (Champagne Supernova, Wonderwall...) before this album. I bought it when it came out and immediately fell in love with everything about them!

DBTT is a great album... I think I'll go listen to it again.

Thanks for bringing this up again, Zoo :)

hippy said:

Thanks for bringing this up again, Zoo :)

No problem. I'm glad! :)

You know, the first time I listened to Let There Be Love, I liked it but kinda had this feeling in the back of my head going 'Oh... it's basically Oasis doing All You Need Is Love!'. I don't have that feeling anymore cos I love the song so much!

That said, Guess God Thinks I'm Abel is by far the most beatlesque I've ever heard Oasis sound... and it's actually one of my favorite songs on the album for that very reason! esp. the Lennonesque Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhs in the background! :love:

I really enjoyed this last album (and seeing them live). I think I have the first one and this, and love them both. It seems each song on this album has a tinge of something else, like one reminds me of The Kinks (Importance Of Being Idle), Squeeze (Let There Be Love), and the obvious Beatlesque sounds. If I remove Disc 2 of the U2 Best Of, I may pop the Oasis back in. It's right up front on the shelf :wink:
Oh, and I do have 1 other Oasis CD that someone recommended, but I only listened to it once. Nothing grabbed me, but I guess I should give it another shot... :hmm:

ETA: Just put it on - listening to Idle :dance:

Idle is such an excellent song! One of Noel's best ever!

I don't mind as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine
I'll be fine if you give me a minute
A man's got a limit
I can't get a life if my heart's not in it

Awesome. :heart:

Keep The Dream Alive is great! It sounds kinda like the All Around The World of this album with that repetitive guitar at the end.

^Their earlier stuff is fantastic, but this album is pretty good too. I was kinda surprised though, I didn't really think much of The Importance Of Being Idle - so I assumed the rest of the album would be of the same standard, but I really like it.

It's a good album but it doesn't compare to DM or WTSMG.

Some great songs "Idle", "Keep the dream alive" but I don't like Liam's voice in this record. He's voice is nothing now compared with the BHN days, Stand by me, All around the world :drool: ...

But it's a good record, and I hope they keep releasing records with this level, at least...

I really WANT to love this album and I do like most of the individual tracks (the exceptions being 'Mucky Fingers' and the verses after the first one of 'Turn Up The Sun'- such lazy, lazy rhyming. The fact that its opening line has Liam singing "I carry a madness everywhere I go" is its redeeming feature. 'Lyla' also doesn't really grab me but I can tolerate it. Oh, and A Bell Will Ring- I don't get that one either) but as an album I just don't want to listen to it and I don't know why! :confused:

OK, I'm ruining the mood of this thread...

Love Like A Bomb (The intro- :drool: "I'm seeing a whole other world in my mind" :drool: "She's blowing my mind" :drool: )
The Importance of Being Idle (The drums!)
Meaning of Soul ( :rockon: )
Guess God Thinks I'm Abel (The faux ending!)
Part of the Queue (Classic Oasis!)
Keep The Dream Alive (Lovely lyrics)
Let There Be Love (Beautiful)

Is that better? :wink: But if I like so many of the tracks WHY don't I like the album?!

^It happens the samewith me sometimes. *cough* HTDAAB *cough*

Anyway, Mucky Fingers is my favourite track on DBTT, quite strange you don't like it

Best album of 2005 in my opinion......Loved it when it first came out, and love it even more now that I saw them perform it live...

MacPhistoPT said:

Anyway, Mucky Fingers is my favourite track on DBTT, quite strange you don't like it

I cannot listen to that song in the car because I feel the need to embarrass the heck out of myself by banging my head and doing the "rock on" fingers all the way through :reject: :lol:

"Mucky Fingers" is one of the most badass songs I've ever heard :drool:

U2One said:
Best album of 2005 in my opinion......Loved it when it first came out, and love it even more now that I saw them perform it live...

it was awesome live, wasn't it? :yes:
Caught them at the Hollywood Bowl last September... :drool:

The first time I listened to the album right after I bought it, I listened to the intro of Turn up the sun I thought what is this? Coldplay? But right after that came the guitars, what a intro, what a song!!!

My 3rd favourite band!!

MacPhistoPT said:
^It happens the samewith me sometimes. *cough* HTDAAB *cough*
:giggle:

MacPhistoPT said:

I'm quite good at being strange ;)

Originally posted by POP-ROMANCER
I listened to the intro of Turn up the sun I thought what is this? Coldplay? But right after that came the guitars, what a intro, what a song!!!

I'd forgotten about that! That intro is great especially when the guitars roar in. :drool: Maybe I just need to listen to the album more...

Glad to see this thread is back up! :lol:

I can't get enough of Turn Up The Sun, The Importance Of Being Idle and Guess God Thinks I'm Abel! :drool: :drool: :drool:

I think one of the reasons this album works so well is the input from the other members of the group. Obviously, Noel has been the catalyst and driving force behind the band for most of their existence, but it was quite apparent that his wealth of material was beginning to dry up on the last few records. He just wasn't able to carry an entire album on his own anymore.

But with this record, we see a further emergence of Liam, and the two songs penned by Andy Bell (Turn Up The Sun and Keep The Dream Alive) are two of my favorites. It seems like the band gelled very well during the recording of this record, and the fact that it sounds so cohesive proves it.

gosh, i wish i felt the way you all do, but i've tried over and over again to like it, but i still think it's by far their weakest album.

It looks like Oasis were getting so desperate they went down the same road as Coldplay and just ripped of other peoples music.

I mean:

Velvet Undergroud - Mucky Fingers
Rolling Stones - Lyla
John Lennon - Let There Be Love
Stranglers - Part of the Queue

and despite all this 'help' they still managed to produce another excruciatingly boring album.

phanan said:

the two songs penned by Andy Bell (Turn Up The Sun and Keep The Dream Alive) are two of my favorites.

That is because Ride > Oasis. :wink:

roy said:

It looks like Oasis were getting so desperate they went down the same road as Coldplay and just ripped of other peoples music.

I mean:

Rolling Stones - Lyla

and despite all this 'help' they still managed to produce another excruciatingly boring album.

The Beatles - Wild Honey
Led Zeppelin - Love and Peace Or Else
Television - the vast majority of the Boy and October albums

Should I have not gone there?

u2popmofo said:

The Beatles - Wild Honey
Led Zeppelin - Love and Peace Or Else
Television - the vast majority of the Boy and October albums

Should I have not gone there?

Em..so that's two U2 songs in the last 24 years. Oasis have blatently spent their entire career ripping off the Beatles and John Lennon. It seem all that they've done with this latest lame attempt is to broaden their plagiaristic horizons.

I thought I mentioned more than just 2 songs there, my bad.

So can I similarly say that U2 have spent their entire early careers ripping off Television and later career having Brian Eno create music for them, all they've done recently is broadened their own plagiaristic horizons (to include other bands and their own back catalogue)?

:wink:

No, I dont really think that. There's a destinction between "being influenced by someone" and "copying someone", in my opinion I just think the "copying" arguement is unfairly used far too often (hence using the U2 example to show a weakness in that line of arguement). Truthfully, I haven't liked much of anything Oasis has done in a decade and even find myself disliking the stuff of theirs I used to enjoy. That said, I think they've certainly provided a influential and unique enough sound of their own to music (in the UK at least, they're barely even a footnote in the US anymore).

u2popmofo said:

There's a destinction between "being influenced by someone" and "copying someone", in my opinion I just think the "copying" arguement is unfairly used far too often

I agree. All or most music is influenced by somebody or the other. It's just easier to tell in certain cases and not so easy in others!

roy said:

I mean:

Rolling Stones - Lyla

How horrible of a band to wear their influences on their sleeves. ;) Mucky Fingers is the only song on that list that sounds specifically like another band's song..the others are influenced in a more general way, IMO, although Part Of The Queue definitely borrows from Golden Brown, most of the song doesn't sound cribbed to me.

Back
Top Bottom