I've fallen in love with Don't Believe The Truth all over again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sleep Over Jack said:

How horrible of a band to wear their influences on their sleeves. ;) Mucky Fingers is the only song on that list that sounds specifically like another band's song..the others are influenced in a more general way, IMO, although Part Of The Queue definitely borrows from Golden Brown, most of the song doesn't sound cribbed to me.

Just listen to Street Fighting Man. :ohmy:

If that doesn't sound like a 'specific' rip-off by Oasis with Lyla I don't know what does. :huh:

roy said:

Just listen to Street Fighting Man. :ohmy:

If that doesn't sound like a 'specific' rip-off by Oasis with Lyla I don't know what does. :huh:

One melody line and similar ending sound SFM-esque but the rest of the song does not, to these ears. Its not like the entire song is a clone. Anyway, I take issue with your claim they just rip off Lennon and the Beatles, when there really aren't many songs that blatantly sound like copies..for instance, like I've said on here before, what on Definitely Maybe sounds like the Beatles?

^Has Verve in sig :drool: History is one of my favourite Verve songs ever :drool:

My karaoke pick would be Love Like A Bomb...I'm just throwing that in so my post isn't totally off-topic! :wink:

Guess God Thinks I'm Abel is on my "Top 100 Songs of 2000-2006" playlist

I can't get enough of it :drool:

So do we all think that Liam is fast becoming the best songwriter in Oasis or not?

EDIT TO ADD: Because for me, Liam's songs sound more new and exciting than the stuff Noel's coming out with. That's not to say that it's bad or anything, it's just I'm finding that it's Liam's songs that are making me sit up and say, "Wow! This is amazing!"

Last edited:
Oasis don't try and hide their influences. They are brutally honest about who they "borrow" from and if anything, they are putting out the welcome mat for young people seeking to understand how rock and roll has developed. It pays tribute to the past.

As Liam implied on the Familiar to Millions DVD, "if it aint broke, dont fix it."

Love Like A Bomb is my fave track from DBTT, but I love Gem's A Bell Will Ring. It's such a solid album with splendid flow, something U2, Radiohead and Coldplay have lacked in their recent offerings. Turn Up The Sun is an ideal opener.

I'm personally not the hugest fan of Let There Be Love (just something bout Liam's vocal). I wouldve preferred the stunning b-side Sittin Here In Silence On My Own as an album closer.

How good are some of the other bsides too. Pass Me Down The Wine and Eyeball Tickler.

There's also an almost-instrumental track out there called I Can See It Now. I think it was on the JAP release.

Anyone know if there will be a fourth single from DBTT or have Oasis finished with releasing material from the album.

The boys reckon there is no Oasis album till at least 2007. I have a feeling we can expect the mooted Masterplan 2, and possibly a greatest hits. What a contentious selection of tracks that might be.

Also, I listened to Standing on the Shoulders of Giants the other day. An immensely enjoyable album, which was unfairly included in that 50 worst albums ever list that was released a few weeks back. The flow leaves a lot to be desired, but there ares some quality tunes on there.

intedomine said:

Also, I listened to Standing on the Shoulders of Giants the other day. An immensely enjoyable album, which was unfairly included in that 50 worst albums ever list that was released a few weeks back. The flow leaves a lot to be desired, but there ares some quality tunes on there.

I find it incredibly ironic that Q should put SOTSOG as one of the worst albums ever when they gave it four out of five stars on its release...

TheQuiet1 said:
^Has Verve in sig :drool: History is one of my favourite Verve songs ever :drool:

My karaoke pick would be Love Like A Bomb...I'm just throwing that in so my post isn't totally off-topic! :wink:

yay Verve! :D

I was jamming along to "Mucky Fingers" in the car the other day and I decided that this is my favorite "attitude" song... when you just get in the mood to yell and scream at the world. :yes:

Acquiesce is my new favorite Oasis song

why did they stick this as a b-side? It could've been huge.

Like Wonderwall huge.

hmmm, me neither.

It might've saved Be Here Now if it was on it. Wait, imagine if these songs all made Be Here Now.

Sad Song
Don't Go Away
Acquiesce
All Around the World
Stand By Me
D'Ya Know What I Mean?
Going Nowhere
Stay Young

not in that order but damn. :drool:

Last edited:
Sad Song :drool: I can understand why they left it off Definitely Maybe (except the vinyl editions) but to think that means so many people will never have heard the song :(

TheQuiet1 said:
Sad Song :drool: I can understand why they left it off Definitely Maybe (except the vinyl editions) but to think that means so many people will never have heard the song :(

I give it to everyone of my friends if they ask for a mixtape.

it's so beautiful, and Noel's voice just drives it home.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I give it to everyone of my friends if they ask for a mixtape.

it's so beautiful, and Noel's voice just drives it home.

One of the things that is difficult for some of us Oasis fans to admit is that Liam is a very expendable member of Oasis, and arguably the band would have been better off without him.

That is not to say that I don't like Liam as a singer, or as an individual, I adore his honesty and couldn't imagine Oasis without him.

But the harsh reality is that prior to Heathen Chemistry, he wrote no songs (cept for Little James), he only sung on about half of Oasis songs, and he was widely considered to have an inferior voice than his big bro.

Some of Oasis' best songs were Noel sung, and due to the pressure to try and perpetuate the idea that Liam is essential to Oasis, many comparatively average Liam-sung Oasis songs make it onto records.

A few cases in point:

- The Girl With The Dirty Shirt on BE HERE NOW, but no Flashbax or The Fame!

- Little James on SOTSOG, but no Carry Us All, Full On or Cigarettes in Hell

There are so many classic Oasis b-sides, and most of them are sung by Noel, so questions are inevitably gonna be raised as to the worthiness of the inclusion of "Liam" songs.

intedomine said:

One of the things that is difficult for some of us Oasis fans to admit is that Liam is a very expendable member of Oasis, and arguably the band would have been better off without him.

That is not to say that I don't like Liam as a singer, or as an individual, I adore his honesty and couldn't imagine Oasis without him.

But the harsh reality is that prior to Heathen Chemistry, he wrote no songs (cept for Little James), he only sung on about half of Oasis songs, and he was widely considered to have an inferior voice than his big bro.

Some of Oasis' best songs were Noel sung, and due to the pressure to try and perpetuate the idea that Liam is essential to Oasis, many comparatively average Liam-sung Oasis songs make it onto records.

A few cases in point:

- The Girl With The Dirty Shirt on BE HERE NOW, but no Flashbax or The Fame!

- Little James on SOTSOG, but no Carry Us All, Full On or Cigarettes in Hell

There are so many classic Oasis b-sides, and most of them are sung by Noel, so questions are inevitably gonna be raised as to the worthiness of the inclusion of "Liam" songs.

i'd probs be a oasis fan if liam wasnt there , his vocie is so whiney makes me wanna throw something.

The really frustrating thing with Liam is that on a good day he's untouchable as a singer (Headshrinker for example) but on a bad day... (Go Let It Out on Familiar to Millions :yikes: ). Whereas IMHO Noel is the dependable one. He could never have sung Headshrinker to the standard Liam did, Hung In A Bad Place just wouldn't have sounded right if Noel had sung it and so on BUT on the other hand Noel NEVER puts in a bad vocal performance. Oasis could easily survive without Liam, I personally think they'd be poorer off for it, but it could be done.

The Fame is a great song :bow: Can't believe it didn't make The Masterplan. But I don't really like Full On to be honest. It's the piano on it that gets to me.

I personally believe that Noel established himself as a legend after the MTV Unplugged performance when Liam backed out at the last minute and Noel absolutely stole the show with a stunning performance.....But I still love Liam and believe that he is the face of Oasis (definitely not the musical talent though)....

I admire Noel much more than Liam. I can consider myself an Oasis fan but Liam annoys me most of the time.

Back to DBTT, I'm remembering myself how great The Importance of Being Idle and Mucky Fingers are. I love those songs :up:

Liam's voice is perfect for rock songs, but Noel's is perfect for slower paced songs.

and they're ok vice versa, just ok.

the band needs them both.

I need to hear The Fame :ohmy:

Have Oasis ever performed The Fame live? Anyone know? I realise it's unlikely but they regularly do B-sides live albeit pre-Be Here Now ones.

TheQuiet1 said:
Have Oasis ever performed The Fame live? Anyone know? I realise it's unlikely but they regularly do B-sides live albeit pre-Be Here Now ones.

Gee, it would be awesome to hear live. But so would so many of Oasis' post-Morning Glory b-sides. Let's All Make Believe, Carry Us All, Flashbax to name a few.

The problem is that many of the bsides from Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe are stooped in such high regard even amongst Oasis' harshest critics. It's hard to imagine a b-side from Oasis more "obscure" era being played live, so I s'pose we'll have to make do with the possibility of Step Out, Acquiesce and D'Yer Wanna Be A Spacemanbeing played live, which is not necesarily something to be sneezed at...

Back
Top Bottom