'I've been to paradise, but I've never been to Italy'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Anyone been to Italy?
I want some suggestions from anyone who's been on just stuff in general. There's a lot to see and every site I have tried looking up stuff on is not very helpful.

I know there must be a good way to cram it all in in a week or so :wink:
Well, maybe not everything and not in a week, but if you've been there what did you do and how did you do it?

I've been to Rome. There's definitely alot to do:

Spanish Steps
Tivoli fountain
Colliseum
Ruins
Vatican - even if you're not Catholic this is a great place to go especially the museum (make sure you dress appropriately)
There's some more but my mind went blank..

What we also did is we took the train to the beach which is about a half hour to an hour away from Rome to this place called Ostia di Lido (I think) and that was really nice.

The food is absolutely delicious! Best pasta and pizza :up:

I've been to Rome, Florence, Pisa and Venice.

I found Florence by far the most appealing place to visit. Rome is great for history. Florence is great for soaking in Italian culture.

italian food :drool:

ive been to florence, venice and milan, they are all pretty short train rides from each other, but milan isnt anything special and venice is overrated in my opinion, so dont spend much time there.

i didnt make it to rome but i wish i would have, im sure there is plenty to see and do there. florence is fantastic and gets 4 thumbs up from me.

yeah im not much help, im sure others can give you lots of good info.

You should try to go to the Naples area. Then you can go to Sorrento :drool::drool::drool:

amalfi.jpg

and Pompeii :up::up:

Capri is close to Naples too

s_10006.jpg

Naples itself is not the greatest though......

I've been all over Italy several times. Florence, Venice and Rome are certainly the big three musts for a brief trip, but if you're planning to go for a bit longer, Umbria is the favorite area among Italians, according to my Italian ex. Some of the Umbrian towns include Assisi, Perugia, Todi, Spoleto, Spello, and Gubbio. These would be less touristy towns--all beautiful and special.

Also in Tuscany besides Florence there is Siena which is one of my favorite towns (it's just inexplicably special) and Lucca.

But you really can't go wrong just about anywhere you go. The north is quite beautiful and underrated also. Vicenza is where my ex lives and is a beautiful city often overlooked on the way from Milan to Venice.

Florence and Venice each have their fans--people tend to love one of them more and find the other overrated. But I think they are both incredible and unique places and to miss one of them on a first and possibly only trip would be a missed-opportunity.

I would love to go back to Rome and spend a couple of months there. It's hard to do Rome quickly.

Oh Angela that is great! You'll have a fabulous trip. I would recommend like the others Florence and Rome- those are what I've heard to be unparalleled.

I went to Italy a couple months ago- just a few days to Stresa, a small town at the base of the Alps :drool: and to Milan for a night, which was okay :slant: but not my favorite city. I loveeeed the lake district, it was just stunning.

this was from the hotel room balconey
stresa10.jpg

Italy?! Only my favorite place in the world :love:
I have been to Italy 13 times, I lived in Calabria (southern, 3 hours south of Naples) 5 summers in a row and I went to school in Florence for 2 years.... and also lived in Valle D'Aosta for 3 months in the middle of a massive snow storm! Also lived in Perugia for 3 months....
I have traveled all over, pm me if you have any questions, I would love to help you!
My favorite city is Florence..... if you have only one week, then I would reccomend flying into Roma for 3 nights, then 3 in Florence, and then like 2 nights in Venice.... but if you can, try to make the trip 10-14 days as there is SO much to see.
From Florence, you can do day trips to a little village called San Gimignano, adorable, and also Siena, Perugia and Pisa are easy access from Florence......
There is so much to see everywhere, the more time the better!
I could go on and on about Italy, but I am at work so dont have the time.... but as I said, let me know if you have any questions!
Italia :up:

U2SJ said:
From Florence, you can do day trips to a little village called San Gimignano

yes yes! I was going nuts trying to think of this town. I loved it.

Yep joyful girl, isnt that such an adorable little town?! I just read your post and agree about Assisi, Gubbio and Spoleto as well!:up: These are all lovely towns!
One of my coolest memories was when I lived in Perugia, we took the train to Siena for Il Palio, a horse race that takes place in the piazza in the summer, its a huge event there.... it was pouring down rain so they had to cancel the race, so my friends and I spent the night on the street cuz we had no way to get back, and it was so funny, there were lots of other people that had nowhere to stay so we all partied all night in the streets in the rain :)
Thats the best part about Italy, the loads of people all over the place all night long..... and you always feel very safe, I would walk home from the discos at all hours by myself when I lived in Firenze!! I miss it so much.....
Now that I divorced my Italian husband I am a little bitter with Italy....lol... but I shall return one day, yes I shall :yes:

U2SJ said:

One of my coolest memories was when I lived in Perugia, we took the train to Siena for Il Palio, a horse race that takes place in the piazza in the summer, its a huge event there.... it was pouring down rain so they had to cancel the race, so my friends and I spent the night on the street

I fell asleep with my boyfriend in the Siena square under a full moon. Something about that town makes you want to sleep outside! I have sleeping issues so I often remember places by how well I slept there. :huh:

Originally posted by U2SJ
Now that I divorced my Italian husband I am a little bitter with Italy....lol... but I shall return one day, yes I shall :yes: [/B]

it happens to the best of us :grumpy:

but I still make Lavazzo espresso in my Italian espresso pot :happy:

My favourite city in italy is Verona! I absolutely love that place! :love:

It's not due to the whole Romeo and Juliet thing, but because of the Roman history. I swear I could spend hours wandering its streets.

b16d916d.jpg

4b1920a5.jpg

06d47ab3.jpg

I've also been to Venice, but i'm not a a big fan of the place. I mean, it's a cool place but I prefer Verona.

I've also been further up north to see my relatives. They live in Trento, in a little town called Torcegno. The town is literally hanging from the mountains! :ohmy:

dont go to venice.

if you go to rome make sure you see the sistine chapel, its worth the plane ticket on its own! and of course the colluseum.

Wow! There is more info on exactly what I need in this one thread than on all the sites I tried looking up lol.
U2SJ, I might actually take you up on the pm matie. I need lots of help here :D I think I've narrowed it down to Rome, Venice, Florence and Pompeii. Also depending on what my travel buddy thinks too :wink:
This might need to be extended from a week to more...Which means less time in London...Which means...damnit! I might just move to Europe :D

Thanks everyone for all the help and also the gorgeous photos!
:)

Back
Top Bottom