i've become ridiculously obsessed with watching re-runs of m*a*s*h. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:33 PM
i've become ridiculously obsessed with watching re-runs of m*a*s*h.

this thread could go here, or it could go in the confessionals place. either way, it belongs in "zoo" something.

uh...let's see. being born in 1984, i wasn't around when it was actually on tv. i taped about half of the episodes during the span of a year or so when i was 13. favorite character then (8 years ago, when i was 13)? hawkeye. favorite character now? bj. favorite episode? i'll come back to you (me?) on that one.

i fully expect "trapper was better than bj" and "you're a kid, i remember when that show was on", and "go to hell, you suck and that show is always on [insert channel here] and i've never watched it" posts to follow. so bring them on.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Since I'm the first to reply to your thread, I'll be kind...
Nah, I am definately older than you - in '84, I was starting high school , so I'm actually old enough to remember the last few seasons of it's original broadcast, although I didn't watch the show at that time. It was about when I was in 3rd grade, I believe. I became a fan several years later.

I like the show, I don't have a preference between Trapper & BJ (maybe I'll get flamed for saying THAT! ), and I was actually watching an episode last night that I don't think I've ever seen before. The one where Hawkeye is sneezing uncontrollably - I had to leave before it was over though, so his cure is still a mystery to me.

Anyway, it was a wonderful show & I catch the re-runs any time I can!

Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

i found that one (where hawkeye was sneezing uncontrolably) on a tape, but i screwed up programming the vcr and only half of it taped. so i have no idea how it ended
Old 08-11-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Damn! I really wanted to know, too, 'cuz that's one on the few episodes I've never seen. Oh well... I'll just have to catch it next time.

Tell me this since you brought up the Trapper/BJ argument.... who do you prefer at the helm? McLean Stevenson or Harry Morgan? (Again, I liked both but have a preference for Col. Potter.)

And what about the antagonist for Hawkeye & company? Winchester or .... ack!! Temporary Alzheimer's! .... Larry Linville's character?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 PM
I think in the sneeze episode they brought in Sidney Freedman.. and they found out it was some psychological thing.

When I first started watching MASH, I thought Potter was the best. But then I saw the earlier episodes and I have to say I think Col.Blake is just a bit better. He is so funny... I hate how he died though

Winchester was more likeable than Frank, but Frank had his moments too. My brother keeps telling me there's an episode where he drives a tank into the mess hall... but I can't seem to find it. I think Winchester talked about it once. I do remember an episode where Frank had an anti-aircraft gun installed to shoot down five 0'clock Charlie.. and wound up shooting the old fuel cans instead.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 AM
It was a great show. I was there at the beginning , and it was a sad day when the show ended. I'm glad you're watching it, IWB! A bit of history with humor and compassion.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:33 AM
M.A.S.H. (Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) The 4077th Cast ...

Alan Alda - Capt. Benjamin Franklin Pierce (Hawkeye)
Wayne Rogers - Capt. Trapper John McIntyre
Larry Linville - Maj. Frank Burns
Loretta Swit - Maj. Maragret Houlihan (Hot Lips)
Gary Burghoff - Cpl. Walter O'Reilly (Radar)
McLean Stevenson - Lt. Colonel Henry Blake
William Christopher - Father Francis Mulcahy
Jamie Farr - Cpl. Maxwell Klinger
Harry Morgan - Colonel Sherman Potter
Mike Farrell - Capt. B.J. Hunnicutt
David Ogden Stiers - Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester

Absolutely GREAT show ... an all-star cast that makes me laugh
continuously !!
A GREAT program that will remain a classic, since the reruns still air even now !!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 AM
I think I watched so much MASH as a kid, I can remember what happens in each episode during reruns - to the point it is annoying to watch again.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Colonel Flagg episodes
I love M*A*S*H.........I have started purchasing the DVDs and watch it on TV whenever it is on..........IWB you are not alone in your obsession.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:33 AM
It was a great show. Well written and still stands the test of time. I remember as a kid a certain episode with Col. Blake (Maclean Stevenson). Klinger goes in trying to get a discharge home because someone in the family is sick. So Blake pulls out a file, and it has a lot of other 'excuses', like Mother's sister's brother died; Cousin Joe's daughter; Mom's second cousin on her father's side, etc. Hopefully you get the pic. I remember as a kid laughing so hard at that episode I was in tears. I know, you had to be there, but it was great. One of the all-time best shows. Glad to hear you have discovered them!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #11
War Child

I still watch reruns every night, and it still makes me laugh.

Quote:
I think in the sneeze episode they brought in Sidney Freedman.. and they found out it was some psychological thing.
Yes, it was. A wounded soldier had been brought in who was soaking wet. The musty, wet smell brought back a memory for Hawkeye, only to his subconscious. His cousin (?) had knocked him out of a boat when they were younger, even though Hawkeye couldn't swim. The smell triggered the sneezing, because Hawkeye remembered loving the cousin, but he repressed that he had purposely dumped him in the lake.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I loved Mash so much as a kid that my parents bought me the Mash Trivial Pursuit game. No one wanted to play with me 'cause I knew all of the answers. I've gone prematurely senile so I can't remember many of the questions anymore.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #13
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:33 AM
Here's some trivia for you, my dad actually wrote a quiz book on MASH. So yeah, I've seen my fair share of episodes.....
Old 08-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 PM
That's really neat mofo!

One of my favourite ep's is when they invent this make believe Captain named Tuttle and then donate his payroll to charity. Even a general comes and gives him a medal (I think) without ever even meeting the guy!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl
Damn! I really wanted to know, too, 'cuz that's one on the few episodes I've never seen. Oh well... I'll just have to catch it next time.

Tell me this since you brought up the Trapper/BJ argument.... who do you prefer at the helm? McLean Stevenson or Harry Morgan? (Again, I liked both but have a preference for Col. Potter.)

And what about the antagonist for Hawkeye & company? Winchester or .... ack!! Temporary Alzheimer's! .... Larry Linville's character?

potter, for pretty much the same reason i prefer bj, although i don't hate blake's character. stevenson did a good job, he was funny. i randomly started watching late-night re-runs when i was 13 years old, and FOX was right in the middle of season 4 when i happened to turn on the tv, so i'd never seen any of the earlier episodes until i'd gotten very used to bj and col. potter. backwards, yes.

i thought charles was funnier than frank.