i've become ridiculously obsessed with watching re-runs of m*a*s*h. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shari schultz
Colonel Flagg episodes
I love M*A*S*H.........I have started purchasing the DVDs and watch it on TV whenever it is on..........IWB you are not alone in your obsession.

flagg is hilarious.

"don't play dumb, you're not as good at it as i am."

he's the wind, you know.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #17
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I think I watched so much MASH as a kid, I can remember what happens in each episode during reruns - to the point it is annoying to watch again.

Me too. My mom was OBSESSED with it. She would watch the first run episodes and every single re-run. I bought her a MASH box set for her last birthday!

We used to make up nonsense lyrics for the theme song together...da, da, da....in the horny, morning dog

Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #18
fah
Blue Crack Addict

I remember watching MASH on tv in the 70's

I can't pick a favourite character or episode One of the best things about the show was the number of cast changes. I think it kept the show fresh
Old 08-13-2005, 06:42 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I remember when I learned the name of the theme song was "Suicide is Painless," and it kind of stopped me in my tracks.
I thought more when I watched it after that.

I enjoyed it because the humor was dark and there was a certain futility and sadness about it.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:56 AM
I watched the first-run episodes when I was a kid. My father loved the show too, and we used to play the MASH trivia game when it came out!

My favorite episodes are probably the Col. Flagg ones. The saddest one was when Col. Blake died. What really gets me was how he was talking about how happy he was to be going home earlier in the episode. It's so hard to watch that knowing what's going to happen.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:14 PM   #21
War Child

Quote:
The saddest one was when Col. Blake died. What really gets me was how he was talking about how happy he was to be going home earlier in the episode. It's so hard to watch that knowing what's going to happen.
True, but I think it's one of television's best moments. What makes it even more hearbreaking is those are honest emotions. No one knew what Radar was going to say at the end except him.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

I love MASH! I watch reruns every day. Luckily, on the program I watch them on, you get a full hour - two back to back episodes! It's fantastic. I only wish I could have seen it when it was actually new...being born in 1987 didn't help at all.

As for Trapper/BJ, I think I like BJ more. I fell in love with him when he first arrived at the 4077th...pissed out of his mind with Hawkeye. Poor Frank! Speaking of Frank, I liked him more than Winchester. Sure, Winchester was hilarious, but there was just something about that smarmy ol' Burnsy that you had to love.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:46 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

I love M*A*SH* and am old enough to have watched it from the beginning (although I was a bit young to get all the nuances during the first few years). I remember being so shocked and horrified when Henry was killed...that just didn't happen on TV then. Especially not in comedies. But MASH was a different kind of comedy. And it was really, really good.

I remember I hadn't seen an episode in years (and I haven't seen one in years now) and I caught one and was astounded at how funny and powerful it was. Now I want to go watch a MASH marathon!

Although I loved Blake and Trapper John, and Frank was certainly fun to laugh at, I found Potter, BJ, and Winchester far more rounded characters, so I like them better. Perhaps Blake and Trapper John would have become more rounded had they stayed throughout the whole series (as Hawkeye did). The character of Frank just wasn't very bright, so growth wasn't really possible.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:04 AM   #24
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:56 AM
I've come to really love M*A*S*H in the last few years. My mother had watched it a lot when I was little but I'd never really paid much attention, but when the re-runs began again, I decided to sit down and watch it. I actually missed the first one - the first episode I ever saw was the hysterical To Market, To Market (where they fly Henry's desk out of his office) and I've been hooked ever since.

The re-runs at the moment are well and truly in Potter/BJ/Winchester/no-Radar territory, but while I've been sick, I've gotten out my videos of the early part of the series. I've gained a new appreciation for Potter, BJ, and Winchester, who I'd come to take for granted. I think the comedy is more sophisticated with them; I actually like Winchester and think he's a wonderful character. I was delighted when Frank left as I found him offensive to my braincells, and all the more delighted to find an intelligent person replaced him!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Frank Burns was the kind of guy you love to hate. I do remember having pity on him once or twice, but he just wasn't somebody you could respect because he was so dumb - arrogant and dumb is a horrible combination. Larry Linville was funny as hell though, and a fantastic actor. I can't recall anything else he's ever done, so I assume he got typecast and had trouble finding work, which is a real pity. He came to my college to speak once and he was the complete opposite of his character - a very intelligent, cool, well-spoken guy. I was sad when he died.

I don't think Winchester was quite as funny as Frank, but I liked the character better as a person. He was arrogant too, but at least he had some reasons to justify thinking rather highly of himself. And there were moments when he showed he really did have a big heart, like when he helped the soldier who was a concert pianist and lost use of one of his hands.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #26
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Where are all the Margaret fans?

She was my favourite and I think along with Hawkeye one of the characters who grew the most in the show.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:56 AM
I saw the tank episode last night on PRIME. Oh my god was it ever funny. Frank wanted to show-off to Margaret that he could drive a tank.. so he got in it and started chasing her with it and then couldn't figure out where the brake was. He rolled over the Womens shower (I wonder if this was a salute to the movie at all...) then to a tent where Hawkeye, BJ and a bunch of them were playing poker. It was funny watching them scramble out of the tent, and BJ did a somersault out. Then Colonel Potter went and stopped his jeep right in front of the tank and was yelling at poor Frank to stop.. but Frank plowed right over the jeep.. compacting it quite nicely.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:39 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

fah, i'm sorry, i've always hated margaret.

i'm regretting this thread like i regret any band thread that goes well...in a good way, of course. i'm tempted to run to my dvds and tapes and watch anything and everything people mentioned, you know insteead of listening to every song or every band people mention. i'm such a nerd

massachusetts had its no sales tax holiday this past weekend, and my family was going to the mall, so i too the opportunity to save a couple bucks in tax on the season 4 dvd
Old 08-17-2005, 06:20 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:56 AM
Oh the name of the Frank Tank episode is Hey, Doc .. if you wanted to see it. I think it's season four
Old 08-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #30
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:26 AM
Catch 22, right? The movie of the book which became MASH. Follow?
Hawkeye rules....Alan Alda was a big Groucho Marx fan and that comes through in spades with the Hawkeye character