It's All Gonna Break- Broke Social Scene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
"where was that kid, that fucked me in the ass"

is that what he says? sounds like it.

Anyway. The "mysterious" missing track from the leak, is 9:55 long, and the best song on the new record. Epic stuff.

Who says a pop song can't be more than 3 minutes long? Poperiffic! :drool:

Horns, geetars, harmonies!

ahhh!!

mr brau you're my new hero. oddly enough i've been looking everywhere tonite for this track, but have had no luck.

please post a you send it....danka

Though I already got the leaked version a LONG time ago, now, I'm still really nervous that no local retailers will be carrying this album, "tomorrow."

There's an indie shop in town, but I'm a broke-as-a-motherfucking-joke college student, and I can't afford the kind of prices that they need to charge in order to stay afloat. :( If fuckin' blows, lemme tell you.

If Best Buy isn't carrying this motherfucker (and I want the "Limited Edition" with the EP--not no bare-bones single-disc bullshit), then I'm gonna be wicked pissed. I already have to wait to do the whole Wolf Parade thing by mail, and I'm sure I'll need to do the same thing for The Fiery Furnaces album on October 24. Boo-urns!

Brau = The Bomb, by the way. Or something like that. :wink:

ah man, i won't be downloading this. not with a 56k.

some other time.

describe the song more, please.

Bow down at the altar of Brau! Well, I coulda gotten it on Limewire myself....but you know. Thanks, my good man!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I will make a point of listening to it once I finish up "Swimmers" for the 900th time. My god...what a voice. I love "this kind" of Broken Social Scene track. That naivete is so compelling, for some reason. Everything I love in this song is why I think "Anthems for a 17-Year-Old Girl" is one of the better songs of the last ten years.

Long, loud, frantic, while still being a "song" with breaks of slowness/jazz free form.

Nice loud vocals. The end is very "Beatles."

I like it.

But not as much as I like the rest of the album (so far). Feels a bit too purposeful for my taste, but it remains a strong, listenable song all the same.

I'm no longer comfortable placing all my hopes for the future of music on this band (as I once was), especially now that Feist seems to have moved on, but they're far from washed-up or something crazy like that. I get the feeling that You Forgot It In People may prove to be the all-time high-water mark--and it's a DAMN high one!--that they'll never top or equal.

But, damn. It sure is fun to watch them try. When this album soars, it REALLY fucking soars! I'm semi-rambling. And I'm also ups. Peace.

Oh, and Brau--I've heard boots of recent performances which, I hate to say, I found terribly underwhelming.

Band sounded tight, but...

No Feist = No Fun

who sings on this song? is it feist, milan, canning, kevin, etc?

i'm seeing bss in november minus feist. of course she's impossible to replace, but still, they're amazing regardless.

To each his own.

I like purposeful music. Which is why i hate The Grateful Dead.

I thought the record as a whole sounded average.

But this tune has song/explore balanced perfect. I love it after 4 listens.

Zoomerang96 said:

i'm seeing bss in november minus feist. of course she's impossible to replace, but still, they're amazing regardless.

a dude.

Zoomerang96 said:
it's kevin, for the most part, with ms. feist doing a bit of the backing vocals.

and brau, i think it's:

when i was a kid, you fucked me in the ass
so i took a pen to paper and i passed you

from what i can make out from the muddy production, there are some great lines in this song:

you all want the lovely music to save your lives

why are you always fucking ghosts?

i'm glad this song didn't leak with the rest of them, it's definitely the best track on this cd.

and i'm off to pick up my copy now.

the album, minus 'it's all gonna break' leaked back in august. i'm not sure if it's as good as 'you forgot it in people', but i may just need more time with it. it seems to be one of those albums that i like more and more each time i listen to it. they're calling it 'you feel good lost in people' over on the bss board, as it's kind of a mix of both of those previous albums.

so i went to the store to pick it up yesterday and they didn't have it. the dude told me that the release date has been pushed back to oct. 11. :angry:

I got it at Best Buy yesterday (Tuesday) for $9.99 WITH the bonus EP. I can dig it. And there were like twenty-five copies on the one shelf, alone...I know nothing of a widespread delay.

If that's the case in your neck of the woods, though....that sucks. :(

you're fucking kidding me.

so did they only delay it in canada? wtf??

:mad:

hey someone post the fast version of ma7or label debut.

it's on the ep isn't it? i'm hoping that the ep will be very similiar in style to beehives...i love beehives...:drool:

the ep leaked a couple of weeks ago.

canada vs. america is awesome.

an 8.4 from pitchfork, if you care about that sort of thing.

Broken Social Scene
Broken Social Scene
[Arts & Crafts; 2005]
Rating: 8.4

Expectations are a bitch. Ask J.D. Salinger. Or George Lucas. Or Kevin Shields. After Broken Social Scene stumbled out of the incestuous Toronto alt-rock scene with Feel Good Lost-- a postrumental refrigerator-hum stiff of a debut-- few would have guessed this group of scruffed-up bohos had a veritable classic lurking in their collective consciousness. Then, ignited by a rabid internet reception, You Forgot It in People gracefully went boom, and lots of people remembered why they loved indie rock-- the shambling ecstasy, the pitch-perfect experimentation, the unabashed heart-on-sleeveness of it all.

Now, with file-sharers queuing up like mad and pre-orders bumping them to Amazon Top 50 status, the collective reacts to the furor by expanding and magnifying; another six members join the brood for its self-titled third full-length, and the band's once-refined studio sound is blown up into a pixilated blur of blood-gush guitars and squall-of-sound production that's somehow meticulously unhinged. This exercise in excess makes the ambitious You Forgot It in People seem positively understated by comparison.

De facto band leader Kevin Drew recently told Pitchfork that Broken Social Scene producer (and NYPD punching bag) David Newfeld "got addicted to the idea of trying to top YFIIP." He added: "His massage therapist says he might die in 10 years unless he changes his lifestyle." It's Newfeld's risky mixing and uncanny knack for coalescing myriad instruments and voices into a propulsive whole that defines this new album. Whereas You Forgot It in People was exacting and refined-- each cymbal crash snipped to perfection, each underlying string melody was spare and to-the-point-- Broken Social Scene is wily and flowing. Just consider each disc's mood-setting introduction: YFIIP's "Capture the Flag" is muted and tasteful; BSS's "Our Faces Split the Coast in Half" gets out of bed, trips, falls down, does a sloppy summersault, and gets back up no worse for the wear. The contrasting titles alone-- one direct, one Dali-esque-- speak volumes. But, however symbolic, "Faces" is only a casual stretch, with follower "Ibi Dreams of Pavement (A Better Half)" serving as the album's first true workout.

"Ibi" breaks in with a woozy, five-alarm guitar-- a warning call for the track's off-key surrealism and pile-on distortion. Like the shaky ascent of a homemade rocketship, the song constantly teeters on cataclysmic oblivion; shards of chords slip away and grind against each other as the track embarks. Buried between the static and the void, mumbled vocals are folded in before the brass enters and elevates the endeavor to fist-pumping, room-on-fire glory.

That track's garbled vocals and lyrical ambiguity are filtered throughout this record. With no accompanying lyric sheet, most of the album's highly interpretable words not only provide fans with a time-wasting message-board guessing game but add another layer of atmospheric haze to the group's already out-there takes on sex, politics, and that whole indies-vs.-majors thing. On the wispy, faux-idyllic "Major Label Debut", the chorus could be "I'm all hooked up" or "I'm all fucked up," but either meaning snidely puts down the rockstar clichés Broken Social Scene are determined to avoid.

Anyone's who's been to a Broken Social Scene show over the past few years probably knows "Major Label Debut" as a rollicking, open hi-hat dust storm. But here, that version is relegated to an accompanying EP (otherwise filled with mostly expendable outtakes and instrumentals) while the album version is slowed down and fogged up-- and decidedly less single-worthy. Another live favorite and possible crossover contender, "Superconnected", is still catchy on record, but Newfeld's all-at-once, in-between-vox production subverts any chance at overt smashdom.

Such insular stubbornness leads to Broken Social Scene's few overly self-indulgent moments, when their lack of inhibitions turns from charming to faintly annoying. Their tendency to jam out-- not entirely surprising given bassist Brendan Canning's striking Trey Anastasio-meets-Elmo look-- turn the seven-minute "Bandwitch" into an aimless jumble. Along with the similarly too-free-spirited "Windsurfing Nation" and "Handjobs for the Holidays", such unchecked exorbitance damages the album's hard-won continuity.

But a few regrettable overreachings are somewhat inevitable when a band tries to top a record as strong as YFIIP. Looser and slightly kinkier, Broken Social Scene indulges in the pop eccentricities and keen melodic ears of more than a dozen Canadians who take willful pride in their ability to lock together into one solid unit and make good on the sum of their unique individual talents. With its doomsday provocation of a title, the epic Springsteenian endcap "It's All Gonna Break" bursts forth with enough ideas to keep a lesser band productive for years. The song ecstatically encapsulates Broken Social Scene's heightened ambitions and flawed Icarus journeys, conflating into a bold, brash love-in infatuated with its own bumps and bruises.

-Ryan Dombal, October 4, 2005
ok, i promise not to post in this thread anymore tonight.

:sexywink:

i couldnt agree with that article more.

ma7or label debut and superconnected were really, really...messed around with by neufeld. superconnected is still good, even though it could have been SO much better if neufeld wouldn't have been around for it.

as for ma7or label debut...argh. a travesty. i honestly don't know if i've ever heard a song SO butchered in my entire life.

Zoomerang96 said:
i looked everywhere for it, and i never knew it was leaked. why didn't you say anything?

:angry:
i DID. not here, but at the X-rated place.

i think i can also speak for hitman when i say i'd rather examine the contests of frank costanza's urine than bear witness to such a cesspool of unimaginative troglodytes meandering through a message board in search (and indeed, in lust) of pictures of something they'll never ever have.

...but i do manage to post a few of my favourite slash stories from time to time.

anyway, mr. brau oddly enough the album wasn't released in canada this week. it got bumped back at the last second...brutal. why would they do that?! apparently it comes out this coming week though, so it's only a matter of time...

Back
Top Bottom