It's a town full of losers, I'm pulling out of here to win!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

Those were the last words Bruce Springsteen sang last Tuesday.
I witnessed one of the best concerts in a long time (since Elevation Antwerp actually) and also one of the best concerts ever. Bruce Springsteen played a single date in Rotterdam (Ahoy) and I was lucky enough to have tickets to it. The tickets weren't the best seats or so, actually they were pretty lousy (high up in the bleachers of the second ring at the side of the stage). I decided then to watch the concert standing behind the seats of the first ring. Maybe I could have seen everything pretty well from my original seats, but it was so steep and small there that I maybe wouldn't be able to stand during the concert (sitting down is for wussies!). I mean, I'm not really afraid of heights, but I know that I can have some problems with my balance (especially when dancing/jumping). The view behind the first ring was OK. When the persons with first ring seats would stand up it was quite difficult to see the stage (and Bruce), but when they sat down (only for the really quiet songs) I could see everything well. Thankfully, Bruce also some screens that showed what was going on (more about that later).

Here's the setlist:
The Rising
Lonesome Day
No Surrender
Prove It All Night
Empty Sky
You're Missing
Waiting For A Sunny Day
The Promised Land
Worlds Apart
Badlands
She's The One
Bobby Jean
Mary's Place
Counting On A Miracle
For You (solo piano)
The River (solo acoustic)
Into The Fire

Dancing In The Dark
Ramrod
Born To Run

My City Of Ruins
Born In The USA
Land Of Hope And Dreams
Thunder Road

In a way the setlist is maybe a bit standard for the tour at this moment, but I don't care. I only see one Bruce concert this autumn and I've seen him only once before, so he may play everything he likes, as long as he plays well. And boy, he was on a roll last Tuesday!
He played with a lot of vigour and seemed looser (and happier, and better) than when I saw him in Barcelona on the '99 Reunion Tour (world tour opening night).
Still, like with the broadcast of the Barcelona concert last week, I thought that Prove It All Night was dragging a little bit. I'm a pretty late convert to Bruce (yep, you guessed it, from '99) and so I don't know anything about the history of this song in concert (as I read that many are always happy when he plays this). As I said, I'm not that impressed by it. However, this was more than compensated by Badlands. When I first heard the song some years ago I wasn't that impressed by it. Also the many live versions didn't sound that special to me. But in Barcelona last week and in Rotterdam on Tuesday I was blown away by the song. It seems like it has gotten a new life and it sounds great!
Worlds Apart is my favourite track from The Rising and it also sounds terrific in concert. Especially the guitars at the end make it a very moving song. Wonderful. She's The One is a very nice fun song (to me at least), the heavy emphasis on drums/percussion gives it a nice body. Speaking of drums, it is true that Max Weinberg may look like an accountant, but he's also one of the hardest hitting drummers in the world. What a power!

The big surprise for Rotterdam was The River. He hasn't played it before on this tour and in Rotterdam he apparently did it as an request for a girl. Her boyfriend was a big Metallica fan and he only wanted to go with her if Bruce would play The River. And so he did, in a solo rendition on his acoustic guitar. Now, I think The River is one of the saddest songs ever (especially the second verse) and also one of Bruce's best. To hear this superb song totally acoustic was pure heaven!

Oh, I hope somebody has made a video of Bruce's performance of Ramrod. If so, it should replace almost all so-called 'comedies' on TV. That song was hilarious. Bruce trading many, many, MANY funny faces with Steve. It seemed like the song went on forever (and if it was up to me it could have go on forever), with the whole band (except for the seaters Danny, Max and Roy) joining Bruce for a walk around the stage (and ending with their butts to the audience). Man, I'd love to have a video of this!

Finally, the ending was also great (how often have I used this word already in the review?). After LOHAD the concert seemed over, but they came back for one last time for Thunder Road. It was the perfect ending for a perfect concert. And yet, Bruce made it even better as his last words were "See you in Spring." Now, that's good news!

C ya!

Marty

:drool: That is AWEsome

:tongue: The thought of the show ending with "Thunder Road" (my 2nd fav Bruce song......) :love: :drool: :tongue: :combust:

Very nice review - thanks :)

I would love to hear that version of The River :drool:

And I agree w/ you about She's The One, Ramrod, and Max *lol* at accountant-yes, he's an excellent drummer

:D

PN008032.jpg

I could watch and listen to Bruce 24/7:bow: :bow: :bow:

Damn, I'd love to hear The River!!!

(and of course thunder road is one of my favorite songs ever!!)

He played The River :scream:?

The one song I really wanted to hear when I saw him! But I'm glad you got to hear it. It's the one song I really like Patti's harmony on.

Loving the Lonesome Day video. That song is fast working its way into my top 10 favorite Bruce songs of all time. The video is so sad...and the lyrics are, too...yet why do I always feel uplifted when I hear it? I guess it's the 'it's alright' part.

Thanks for your story

I doubt I'll get to see him in concert, so reading some people's descriptions such as yours, make it almost as good as being there. The part about "the River" is precious . I LOVE that song ( I won't go into it , but it's special...u know, takes me back)
so the fact it involved lovers, the fact it involved a promise, the fact Bruce Springsteen respected the guys need and actually fulfilled his request, the fact he performed it for them on an acoustic guitar....very special...and you were there:yes: cool.
and the Metallica meets springsteen bit, that is funny, diverse taste...healthy imho.

Your story about not feeling comfortable in the high seats reminded me of my first U2 concert. Our seats were a long way up in the stands, so steep. I could not have possibly dealt with that. It was a bit of an adventure finding a new place to be. I felt it perhaps wasn't a better place,it was a bit of a distraction, but I still had a great time. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to deal with things like that...in a way.
The best thing all round would be just if we got great seats in the first place.

seriously. thank you...great story

Back
Top Bottom