It's a state of mind - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 01-31-2002, 12:48 AM   #16
Kid A
Local Time: 11:22 AM
i just read what you wrote there foray, that is indeed a great post.

you perceived this transition radiohead has undergone, and it's most definitely there, and i think it had to be that way, it was time to hit on something new, and i don't see many of their peers having ever quite tapped into something as volitile and provocative as this

repressed violence indeed...

but what is it directed at?

Old 01-31-2002, 01:06 AM   #17
Kid A
Local Time: 11:22 AM
but I wanted to mention and forgot to, that the songs for Kid A and Amnesiac were written during the same recording sessions

Old 01-31-2002, 09:18 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
There is definitely some kind of sociopathic vibe happening there, though unlike the Limp Bizkits and other 'rage-rock' outfits of this world, I'd suggest that Radiohead actually have something worth being angry about. Disaffected teen angst it ain't.
Precisely, precisely. This is why I hate Linkin Park, because when asked in an interview why they are so angry, one of them replied: 'oh, you know, working so hard... paying the bills... it's tough...' or something lame like that. Welcome to the real world, dood, sheesh.

Wanderer, with regards to what or whom Radiohead's angst is aimed at, I have to ask, as I've always wondered... Did any of them ever have an office job? Seriously. I've been wondering that for years but never bothered to research.

Old 01-31-2002, 09:49 AM   #19
Jesus Online
Local Time: 03:22 AM
Its funny fors. I'd love to know how many of these ironically apathetic role models have actually done this 'grind' they so vehemently hate. I say ironically becuase its always 'we dont give a fuck - but fuck this and fuck that anyway, yeah!'

Welcome to the real world indeed. Welcome to our world. What I hate more is these teens who are either fresh out of school, or unemployed, embracing this angst.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:45 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:22 AM
Well I think what makes Radiohead interesting is the very vagueness of their targets. In the same way that a casual listener could hear U2 for years and never get the 'God' thing, Radiohead plough their own path which is probably only apparent when you've followed them for a while/read a bit about them/let it all sink in.

I don't what jobs if any, they've ever held. I don't think it's particularly relevant. I don't think it's about 'oh fuck having to work for a living' ala Linkin Park, but rather about the dehumanising nature of the whole shebang at this point in history. I mean, any band at the Radiohead or U2 level does work, and works hard: that's a given imo.

Suppressed rage may be a more accurate description. Cause there isn't too much overt anger in their music, it's under the surface. Plus they come from that melancholy English tradition. Who knows, if they were American, they might have turned into Rage Against the Machine.