Issac Hayes Quits South Park over Scientology Episode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
NEW YORK - Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

That's a shame, but they really don't use Chef much anymore anyway. I don't think he'll be missed.

there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins

I can't believe he can say this with a straight face. South Park's satire regarding religious beliefs has been its bread and butter for many episodes.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

Interesting. I haven't watched South Park in a while but I caught that episode. An instant classic.

Killing Chef should be an awesome episode.

Hayes is a hypocrite.

Scientology is not a religion!

I say kill off the Chef.

It figures another celebrity starts mouthing off as soon as Scientology is in his opinion ridiculed. :shifty:

Hollywood is possibly the most deviant and liberal place on earth; the kind of place that would hire three consecutive men to play a woman. But even heroin addicted transsexual recyclers want to burn all Scientologists at the stake. Everyone associated with this cult, which would be more credible if it was based on Dora the Explorer or a Magic Eight Ball, is insane. Stars are so arrogant and in love with themselves they truly believe laws, even religious laws, don't apply to them. And everybody in Hollywood knows that John Travolta is as gay as a pair of pink capris.

www.idontlikeyouinthatway.com

hehehe I thought that was pretty funny.

nbcrusader said:

I can't believe he can say this with a straight face. South Park's satire regarding religious beliefs has been its bread and butter for many episodes.

No kidding. It's alright if they bash other religions but by god if it's scientology forget it. He is a hypocrite.

I bet TC had something to do with it.

nbcrusader said:

Apparently he didn't care as long as the satire was limited to the religious beliefs of people other than himself.

Hypocrites aren't real big on self-awareness.

I just watched the episode, it pretty much calls out scientology for being a bunch of hooey and ripping people off.

Oh, and Tom won't come out of the closet, and R Kelly sings all his lines.:lol:

But that episode was made months ago... unless he's being pressured by his Scientologist friends, I don't understand why he's making a big stink over it now.

Last edited:
trevster2k said:
Tom won't come out of the closet

060125-southpark01.jpg

"I'm not... I'm not in the closet."

"The Closet," the Controversy--and Cruise
Friday March 17 8:49 PM ET

By Joal Ryan

Wednesday night on South Park, Robert Redford got zinged, and Chef urged one and all to "suck on my chocolate salty balls."

The controversial part was what didn't air: A closet.

"Trapped in the Closet," a South Park episode featuring a literally closeted Tom Cruise and a primer on Scientology, was abruptly pulled from Comedy Central's schedule, and replaced with a nearly eight-year-old chestnut spoofing the Sundance Film Festival.

The network wouldn't confirm or comment Friday on why "Trapped in the Closet" was shelved in favor of the 1998 episode "Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls."

Cruise's rep, however, did comment: "This has nothing to do with us," publicist Arnold Robinson said Friday.

Cruise, a Scientologist who has staunchly defended his religion and an avowed heterosexual who has successfully sued people and publications that have suggested he is in the metaphorical closet, was pegged as the culprit in the South Park switcheroo in a report Thursday on HollywoodInterrupted.com.

The blog reported that the star "threatened" to sit out the publicity cycle for Mission: Impossible 3--presumably meaning no interviews, no photo-ops, no Oprah couch--if "Trapped in a Closet" aired again on Comedy Central.

M:I-3 is due to be released in May by Paramount, which is the corporate sibling of Comedy Central, which is, like Paramount, owned by Viacom.

Specifically responding to Cruise's reputed corporate power play, rep Robinson said: "That is not true."

This is not the first time Cruise has been linked to the closing of "Closet." In January, Britain's Sun reported the episode would "never" air in the United Kingdom because TV executives there were "scared [Cruise] will sue." (The episode apparently aired without incident in Canada a few days later.)

This also isn't the first time Comedy Central has been accused of caving. Last December, a Catholic rights' group took credit for the network pulling reruns of South Park's Virgin Mary-skewering ninth season finale, "Bloody Mary."

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, meanwhile, have weighed in on the latest controversy--with fighting words.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the self-described "servants of the dark lord Xenu" said in a statement Thursday that does not mention Cruise. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies."

Earlier this week, Parker and Stone publicly parted ways with Isaac Hayes, the longtime voice of Chef, after the "Shaft" legend complained South Park had gone too far in satirizing religion. The duo said Hayes, a Scientologist, never complained about the show until it took on Scientologists.

"Trapped in the Closet" first aired last Nov. 16. In it, a cartoon version of Cruise enters a closet, and doesn't come out for quite a while. Cruise is eventually joined in the closet by fellow Scientologist John Travolta and R&B singer R. Kelly, who wrote the soap opera of a song that shares its name with the episode title.

Also in the episode, South Park tyke Stan is recruited to join the Church of Scientology, and, in the process, gets an earful about "frozen alien bodies," Hawaiian volcanoes and the "evil lord Xenu."

"Guys, you got it [Scientology] all wrong," Hayes said he told Parker and Stone in a January interview with The A.V. Club. "We're not like that."

Comedy Central would not say if "Trapped in the Closet" will reair at a later date, or if it will be included in South Park's syndication package.

Video clips from the episode, including the bits with Cruise and the closet, and Stan and the Scientologists, can be found on the Comedy Central Website.

In a bit of timing that is said to be coincidental and not at all related to the "Closet" controversy, South Park begins its 10th season next Wednesday.

The promos for this week's season premiere are lauding the episode as the "return of Chef?"

I don't know...

this just in... apparently he didn't quit, but he did have a stroke :(

source

Isaac Hayes did not quit "South Park." My sources say that someone quit it for him.

I can tell you that Hayes is in no position to have quit anything. Contrary to news reports, the great writer, singer and musician suffered a stroke on Jan. 17. At the time it was said that he was hospitalized and suffering from exhaustion.

It’s also absolutely ridiculous to think that Hayes, who loved playing Chef on "South Park," would suddenly turn against the show because they were poking fun at Scientology.

As recently as early January, before his stroke, Hayes defended the "South Park" creators in an interview with “The AV Club,” the serious side of the satirical newspaper, The Onion.

AV Club: They did just do an episode that made fun of your religion, Scientology. Did that bother you?

Hayes: Well, I talked to Matt [Stone] and Trey [Parker] about that. They didn't let me know until it was done. I said, 'Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that [expletive], you know?' But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses and understand what we do. [Laughs.]

But it’s hard to know anything since Hayes, like Katie Holmes, is constantly monitored by a Scientologist representative most of the time. Luckily, at the Blues Ball he was on his own, partying just with family and friends. He was very excited about having gotten married and about the impending birth of a new child.

Friends in Memphis tell me that Hayes did not issue any statements on his own about South Park. They are mystified.

“Isaac’s been concentrating on his recuperation for the last two and a half, three months,” a close friend told me.

Hayes did not suffer paralysis, but the mild stroke may have affected his speech and his memory. He’s been having home therapy since it happened.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be the first time that those suits would manipulate somebody in such a way.

I suggest that people google Lisa McPherson and Scientology.

Also check out xenu.net

We the evil thetans allied with the dark lord Xenu will stop you scientologists, all hail Xenu overlord of the man-animals :wink:

I found this on www.relevantmagazine.com. It's just sad and it shows how pathetic this cult really is.

An ad in LA Weekly is the latest strike in a high-profile religious Hollywood battle. It reads, “Thanks, Tom Cruise and the Church of Scientology, for your expert advice on mental health” after a schizophrenic teen killed his mother. Both were practicing Scientologists who didn’t believe in using psychiatric drugs …

Wow am I the only one watching this?

I love Matt and Trey so much. This is fucking great.

Back
Top Bottom