Isn't buying Used CDs piracy too???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
This crackdown on illegal downloads that RIAA's doing has me wondering. What about Used CDs? There's tons of stores both online and offline selling used stuff, where no money goes to the artist.. only to the previous owner. Why all the fuss then?

i've thought about that myself too. not sure how to answer that. for some reason, selling used books, DVDs, video games, and CDs is okay though...

Once the item is purchased new, that's when the royalties, etc. are paid. I don't know about used. I used to work at a record store back in the 80s, and it was never an issue :shrug:

Screwtape2 said:
Yep. By the letter of the law even letting someone listen to an album that they don't own would be considered piracy. :tsk:

:lol: That's true. What a dumb law. :tsk:

I think about all the great stuff I probably wouldn't have picked up new that I bought used. Chances are if I like an album, I'll buy something else by that artist later. Used CDs can increase an artist's fan base, which will lead to more money for them later.

Honestly, that's how I feel about downloading the occasional song or two, too :shh:

This thought has crossed my mind as well. Again, the issue probably lies with the proliferation. Theoretically, downloads can reach an unlimited group, whereas a used CD is possessed by only a handful of people during its lifetime.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I think about all the great stuff I probably wouldn't have picked up new that I bought used. Chances are if I like an album, I'll buy something else by that artist later. Used CDs can increase an artist's fan base, which will lead to more money for them later.

Honestly, that's how I feel about downloading the occasional song or two, too :shh:

or the occasional catalogue, fuck it right? :wink:

t8thgr8 said:

No. If I like an artist, I'll support that artist by buying his/her/their album(s).

I do buy used when I can, both with books and CDs, because I'm at a point in my life where that makes more sense for me financially. I find it interesting, though, that writers never seem to take issue with their books being remaindered and sold for next to nothing, or being resold in used book stores. It seems in some ways that the publishing world is dealing better with the underlying issues of authorship, ownership, and "piracy" than the music industry is.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

No. If I like an artist, I'll support that artist by buying his/her/their album(s).

I got into Bright Eyes because a friend burned me two albums. I loved them and bought official copies ASAP. I like having the real thing.

t8thgr8 said:
actually, this is how i got into two of my now-favourite artists. i downloaded torrents of the complete discographies of both depeche mode and split enz. i loved what i heard so much, i've since replaced everything with legally-obtained cds. but were those torrents not available, i probably wouldn't have gotten into them, or at least not as much.

Back
Top Bottom