Isabel be a commin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Eyeing a major hurricane
9/14/2003 7:14 P.M.
John Desjardins, Senior Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

Hurricane Isabel is packing sustained winds over 155 mph, keeping it on the threshold of a category 4/5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Whether Isabel is a strong category four or category five hurricane is irrelevant... the impacts of such a strong storm will be tremendous. Where Isabel will have an impact is the big question. It is still too early to pinpoint a location of landfall, but Isabel will likely have a significant impact on the East Coast by the middle of the week. While the hurricane is expected to weaken somewhat by Wednesday/Thursday, there is a good chance it will be a major hurricane with winds over 110 mph at landfall. Residents form the Carolinas to Long Island should already be making preparations for the potential impacts from Isabel. These preparations would include knowing the location of evacuation routes and local shelters, and stocking up on batteries, food, and potable water in the event of power outages.

Why do they give hurricanes names anyway? What is the point of this? Why not use this time wisely, and find out more about the weather?!?! Hurricane Andrew? Why would you name a hurricane Andrew? What, did it show up in a little crovat and a dickey, smelling of Polo, sipping a Perier' yelling "scurry scurry, Andy's here!" What do they call a tornado? Tornado... you get the message. They don't go Tornado Timmy's comming, flee! If they're gonna give a hurricane a name, why not give it a name that applies? Like Hurricane Jesus Christ on a Crutch! Or the next big one, Hurricane Hooooooly F**king Moses.
-Lewis Black

all i know is that if i'm gonna have to buy supplies and board up the damn windows 'cause of this thing, i sure as hell better be getting a day off friday.

and after that stupid ass blackout we already had... if the power goes out from this hurricane for any extended period of time... oohhhhhh baby i'm gonna be one angry mofo

Headache in a Suitcase said:
all i know is that if i'm gonna have to buy supplies and board up the damn windows 'cause of this thing, i sure as hell better be getting a day off friday.

and after that stupid ass blackout we already had... if the power goes out from this hurricane for any extended period of time... oohhhhhh baby i'm gonna be one angry mofo

*nods* you and me both....could be a 3 day weekend tho:)

i've been watching the hurricane on tv all week too...i hope it doesn't do a lot of damage no matter where it hits, but i don't see how that's avoidable. that thing looks massive on the satellite pictures.

20030914NY17.jpg

i'm even getting concerned about my brother and sister-in-law in NYC if it goes further north which it might, and of course i'm concerned about all my u2 friends up and down the east coast too. :huh:

:no:

Why do they give hurricanes names anyway?

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/general/lib/reason.html

Reason to name hurricanes

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE , NOAA, National Weather Service

Experience shows that the use of short, distintive given names in written as well as spoken communications is quicker and less subject to error than the older more cumbersome latitude-longitute identification methods. These advantages are specially important in exchanging detailed storm information between hundres widely scattered stations, coastal bases, and ships at sea.

The use of easily remembered names greatly reduces confusion when two or more tropical storms occur at the same time. For example, one hurricane can be moving slowly westward in the Gulf of Mexico , while at exactly the same time anothe hurricane can be moving rapidly Northward along the Atlantic coast. In the past, confusion and false rumors have arisen when storm advisories broadcast from radio statio were mistaken for warning concerning an entirely different storm located hundreds of miles away.

I'd an avid Weather channel watcher - when I see a hurricane that size it scares the hell out of me. good luck to East Coast Interlanders and their families. .I'll be ducking to avoid any schrapnel. :reject:

Mr. B.

Why do they give hurricanes names anyway? What is the point of this? Why not use this time wisely, and find out more about the weather?!?! Hurricane Andrew? Why would you name a hurricane Andrew? What, did it show up in a little crovat and a dickey, smelling of Polo, sipping a Perier' yelling "scurry scurry, Andy's here!" What do they call a tornado? Tornado... you get the message. They don't go Tornado Timmy's comming, flee! If they're gonna give a hurricane a name, why not give it a name that applies? Like Hurricane Jesus Christ on a Crutch! Or the next big one, Hurricane Hooooooly F**king Moses.
-Lewis Black
:lmao: The best name for a hurricane was definitely Bob. Hurricane Bob. Now THAT'S threatening. :rolleyes:

I want to have a hurricane party but I think we'll be just far enough away that all we'll get is some wind and torrential downpours I'll have to drive to work in. :madspit:

I should have known a hurricane would be on it's way. This is the week we would usually make our family trip to Myrtle Beach and there always seemed to be hurricane or tropical storm on the way.

I heard a lady talking to someone about Isabel on her cell phone at Chipotle. She said something about we could get some of the rain here. I'm kind of wondering about that. :scratch:

I kind of wondered how it would effect you Schmeg when I saw it on the news.

As long as the old trees in the front yard hold up, we'll be fine if it does hit here.

My grandparents were in Myrtle Beach for a hurricane one time.

Let's see we delayed one trip a few days once. Then one time we got there spent one day and had to leave because everyone had to evacuate...I forget what hurricane that was but it was 3 or 4 years ago I think...watched it unfold on the weather channel upon our return. Then the last time we went the year before last we started our trip with Gordon...downgraded to a tropical storm and ended it with Helene also a tropical storm. I got a few extra days off work for that one since we decided not to drive home in all the rain.

weather men piss me off. they got me all pumped up about a nice big hurricane comming up here to long island, and now it looks like it's gonna hit north carolina, and we're only gonna get the outskirts of the storm. man, the carolinas always have all the fun. what am i supposed to do with all the "i survived hurricane isabel" t-shirts i ordered? balls i say

I hope my ageing mother will be okay--she's going to get it pretty bad in Va. :(

As I'm heading to NYC this weekend, I'm totally relieved that it's weakening.

My best friend is getting married Saturday (I'm her maid of Honor) and her wedding is planned to be outside!! Needless to say, she's already in a major state of panic!

I just want an excuse to stay in my hotel room in NYC and watch "Survivor." But I hope my mommy will be okay.:(

Back
Top Bottom