Isabel be a commin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was reading about it online it talked about GW Bush at the beginning:

A state of emergency has been declared in Washington as Hurricane Isabel heads towards the East Coast of the US.

President George W Bush has left the White House, and staff there are preparing for the worst - boarding up doors and windows.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said: "We're working to secure items that might be blown away, in the event of the high winds here.

"This could include flags, it could include the awnings around the complex, those will likely be brought down. We'll be checking the drains in the complex to be sure that they are clear."

People up and down the east coast have continued to evacuate as the hurricane approaches.

British airlines have cancelled flights across the Atlantic leaving hundreds of passengers stranded owing to Isabel.

BA cancelled its three daily services to and from Washington and a daily flight to Baltimore and Bmi cancelled its two flights to and from Washington from Manchester, but is still operating a service to Chicago.

Virgin Atlantic said it had scrapped its one flight to Washington from Heathrow this morning.

The airlines have advised passengers to keep an eye on the news and their websites, and said they would be reviewing flights regularly. It is not yet known whether flights will be affected tomorrow.

Isabel has weakened to a Category 2 storm, the National Hurricane Centre said.

Its latest update said Isabel's centre is located around 85 miles south-southeast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, with maximum winds remaining at around 100mph.

It is heading north-northwest at approximately 16mph.

Those who are staying in the region frantically stocked up on supplies and tried to protect their homes as far as possible.

At hardware stores across the region, people have been purchasing plywood to board up windows and other supplies.

Many stores are running out of items such as torches and batteries.

Sandbags have been placed around properties amid fears that a storm surge could lead to widespread flooding affecting millions of people.

Traffic streamed inland from the vulnerable shores of both North Carolina and Virginia as residents and visitors alike headed for higher ground.

About 100,000 people along the North Carolina coast had been told to evacuate before the storm hits land.

But forecasters are warning it is a powerful storm that will stay strong as it closes in on the East Coast.

This is the pic I saw on bbc.co.uk

_39352946_1surfap203cred.jpg

wow thats sweet. they are talking about 19-32 foot waves at Virginia Beach today. They are normally very small

*edit
there are news videos on weather.com

Last edited:
that was quite a pic you posted Digi.

I pray that everyone along the northeast coast stays safe. I've been watching the coverage on CNN and the Weather Channel.

all i can say is thank God isabel was only a category 2 when it hit. after watching the aftermath on tv this morning, i can only imagine how much worse it would have been if it had been any strongrer of a hurricane :no:

I thought I would post some pictures of downtown baltimore my friend took. I have some from the DC area that are pretty insane as well.

Attachments

• hooters2.jpg
    hooters2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 32
with pics like that it's amazing that there wasn't more damage.

btw, remember this pic?

DiGi said:

one of my cousins emailed it to my mom from somewhere else, but my mom found out on the Urban Legends website that it is indeed NOT a photo of Isabel approaching.

http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/bl_isabel_photo.htm

Comments: This image began circulating via email on Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2003 as Hurricane Isabel bore down on the eastern seaboard of the United States. It seems to have been intentionally mislabeled. According to a Web page of the National Weather Service, the photo, credited to Steve Todd, actually documents a tropical cyclone sighted in the Pacific Ocean six months ago named "Graham."

Though we have reason to suspect the information on the National Weather Service site isn't perfectly accurate either ? it lists Graham as a 2002 storm, when in fact it struck in late February 2003 ? it does put the lie to the email's claim that the photo depicts Hurricane Isabel.

My family in Virginia got hit hard. I was talking to my mom on the phone the night of the storm and she was acting like it was no big deal--'not much rain, a little wind, that's it'--and I said, mom, according to weather.com, the eye of the storm is like right over your head-- and sure enough, in the light of the next day, she was able to see what a disaster it was. She lost her boiler and had to spend $5,000 on a new heating system. My sister in Richmond was without power for a week, but no major damage, and then that tornado ripped through a neighborhood just a few miles from her house.

:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom