Is Thom Yorke An Elitist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Some of these quotes are really funny, but it's what Thom says about Oasis that I find really interesting...

"Us on hard drugs? That would be horrible. We'd probably end up
sounding
like Bryan Adams."

"We had a great time doing Airbag. There was a party going on for like
three
days in a row. By the end of it the studio was just a fucking pit of
all
sorts of disgusting things -- half-finished bottles of wine and beer
spilled
on the desk and ashtrays everywhere. It was great. We do play cards and
bridge and shit like everybody says we do all the time. But then, we go
smoke crack in the bathroom afterwards."

(on Oasis)
"They're a joke aren't they? It's just lots of middle class people
applauding a bunch of guys who act stupid and write really primitive
music.
Then people say 'oh it's so honest'"

"If you want to be entertained, go and see Hanson"

OUCH - talk about a slam to Noel Gallagher! "Primitive music." That's not nice. And in the same sentence, he pretty much slams "middle class people". He sounds almost as elitist as some of his fans! (I said "some";))

Questions, comments, cries of outrage all welcome...

Last edited:
yup, ive heard those before.

is he an elitist? maybe. do i care? no. should it effect anyone? i dont think so.

are his comments on oasis justifiable? absolutely. theyre boring as all go out, but they have the biggest ego's in the world. trust me, they rib radiohead every chance they get.

oasis just wish they were the beatles. the beatles wish theyd stop, cause its annoying them.

as for the white people, well, make of that as you will, but i dont really think its a slam. if it is, meh, i dont care.

truth is oasis = crap. (ok fine, wonderwall, champagne supernova and dont look back in anger are classics :angry: )

LOL...I wouldn't say that "Oasis=crap"...I think both bands are very, very good at what they do, although they take completely different approaches to it. Radiohead, obviously, is more cerebral...experimental in approach (at least as of late), the band makes great music...it's just a bit dark and complicated.

Oasis, on the other hand, are a great band. They write more "heart-on-your-sleeve anthems" (and I don't mean power ballads either). Like 'em or not, they make awesome tunes, even if the lyrics are a bit contrived ("sink is full of fishes/she has many issues on the brain").

As far as the actual comments are concerned, I don't think there's any love lost there...both bands seem to manifest a healthy dislike for each other, but then again I think it's more common than people make it out to be...this was just aired out in the open (as are many arguments relating to Oasis).

Yeah, you've got to love what Noel sometimes says about Radiohead, too. For example, I laughed myself silly when Noel said that it will all end with Radiohead writing the most amazing piece of classical music ever that no one will be allowed to hear. Noel's imitation of Radiohead: "Come to our shows, just don't fuckin' clap."

Oasis make me sick...gah!! horrible shit

how often can one man regurgitate the same whinny melody?

such unispiring drivel

Michael Griffiths said:

"We had a great time doing Airbag. There was a party going on for like
three
days in a row. By the end of it the studio was just a fucking pit of
all
sorts of disgusting things -- half-finished bottles of wine and beer
spilled
on the desk and ashtrays everywhere. It was great. We do play cards and
bridge and shit like everybody says we do all the time. But then, we go
smoke crack in the bathroom afterwards."

:lol: Yeah, Thom is an asshole, and prolly an elitist, which most talented musicians are. I still love Radiohead, this is some funny stuff................:lol:

I love how both Oasis and Radiohead love to rip on one another. You just know that deep down though, they both have a huge amount of respect for one another. I think both bands are great.

Personally, I think its annoying as hell when fans of one band will label another band as "boring" or "uninspired". If its not your cup of tea, fine. Obviously someone is buying the albums, so just let it go.

i take it all with a grain of salt, both parties say what they really think

i chuckled last year when Britney Spears said she met Bono and he said how much he liked her songs

Michael Griffiths said:
Some of these quotes are really funny, but it's what Thom says about Oasis that I find really interesting...

"Us on hard drugs? That would be horrible. We'd probably end up
sounding
like Bryan Adams."

(on Oasis)
"They're a joke aren't they? It's just lots of middle class people
applauding a bunch of guys who act stupid and write really primitive
music.
Then people say 'oh it's so honest'"

"If you want to be entertained, go and see Hanson"

both elitist and a prick...
i apologise to the people who say"i hate people giving out about bands they dont like", but what would the world be like without a little debate?....smartass comments not welcome..!

noel is :drool: :drool: :lol: :drool: :drool: and oh, funny, talented, great voice.........and a lot of other things...

damnit im sorry i just use any excuse to go on about how much i looooove noel...

Zoomerang96 said:
noone can say with a straight face that oasis are better than radiohead.

Oasis are better than Radiohead. :|

Do we need some kind of fancy ceremony for that? Or maybe I've earned a cookie for my tireless efforts. Guess I'll have to trudge onwards alone.

Sorry to destroy your theory there.

I wouldn't say that Oasis are better than Radiohead, because they're way too different to be compared. I'll just say that Oasis' music does it for me while Radiohead's doesn't really.

Oasis aren't the world's most innovative band, but even if their music is derivative, it's got their own swaggering personality stamped all over it and they've got some insanely catchy, awesome sing-alongs. Radiohead have got some truly lovely moments, but what often puts me off their music (apart from Thom Yorke's increasingly whiny singing) is that to my ears, it just sounds so goddamn joyless. I mean, I -love- my depressing music, but not when I feel like I'm being drawn into the world so dark, cold and sterile that it makes Pink Floyd sound warm and fuzzy in comparison.

Saracene said:
Radiohead have got some truly lovely moments, but what often puts me off their music (apart from Thom Yorke's increasingly whiny singing) is that to my ears, it just sounds so goddamn joyless. I mean, I -love- my depressing music, but not when I feel like I'm being drawn into the world so dark, cold and sterile that it makes Pink Floyd sound warm and fuzzy in comparison.

Wow. That's EXACTLY how I feel about Radiohead, but I could never quite put it into words. (Prepares to be flamed...)

AcrobatMan said:
Noel is Good..

Thom Yorke is God..

End of story..

Lock this thread :)
Ah, but Thome has buckled under pressure after the huge success of OK Computer, while Noel, though not always successful, has always tried to confront it. (Flame away!)

The Wanderer said:
buckled in what way?

unless you mean Jim Thome of the Cleveland Indians, yes, he sucks :down:
I don't mind what Thom Yorke did after their huge success with OK Computer, as it created some incredible music. What I mean is, instead of rising to the occasion by releasing a "Joshua Tree" (which U2 did after their version of OK Computer), Radiohead decided to run from that, almost afraid of their potential - in a way, afraid of not fulfilling their potential - and decided to retreat into themselves for shelter. It's basically what that Rolling Stone article stated about Thom Yorke saving himself instead of Rock n' Roll. And fair enough.

Last edited:
if you say so, but for many Kid A is simply a great album by a great band, and it was radiohead's 4th album, U2's 4th album was UF, radicially different from the previous 3; and i certainly don't agree with the notion that radiohead haven't realized their potential

Imo Kid A was a monumental release, Radiohead reinvented themselves similar to U2 with the release of AB. If Radiohead ran from anything it was pop culture.....

I guess I'll step into this fray. And yes, I'll state it up front, I'm a huge OASIS fan.

First, Noel has admitted that OASIS will never write ground breaking music. But they do write some good old rock tunes. I'm never going to be surprised by what they do, and they have done some crap tunes, but overall, a great band.

2. All rock stars run their mouths off. I seem to remember U2 and the Rolling Stones pissing at each other during the POP era.

3. Radiohead has written some great tunes. Kid A and Amnesiac have some good stuff on them, but I wouldn't say it's the end all be all of music. OK computer is a really great album, I'd say the Bends is better IMO.

4. OASIS run their mouths off about everything. Their U2 fans, but I've heard them slagg them off. I tend to separate the crap that comes out of their mouths from their music.

5. Radiohead (Thom York especially) are elitist. They have this holier-than-thou, arthouse I'm-so-deep-and-groundbreaking-woe-is-me attitude that is very offputting. But I still like their music.

6. I find those quotes amusing.

7. I don't think there's really a purpose to this post :rolleyes:

ha, you know holier than thou is exactly what u2 is known as.

and none of us seem to mind now do we?

exactly.

Back
Top Bottom