Is there such a thing as GREAT Christmas music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is quite possibly my favorite rendition of O Holy Night I've heard yet - instrumental (horns). It was apparently on Studio 60 this past week. If there's an entire album from these guys I just might have to buy an actual Christmas album. :eek:

For some reason it keeps cutting off the link.

copy and paste (add mp3 to the end):
nbc.com/Studio_60_on_the_Sunset_Strip/music/studio_60_o_holy_night

Last edited:
The one Christmas song I really can't stand is "Carol of the Bells."

Play the right version of it and it sound like what one might hear while someone is being stabbed to death 'neath the Christmas tree.

Just my opnion. :)

corianderstem said:

I'm fairly certain Mariah didn't write or do the original version, so your amusing scenario is alas, only a fantasy. :(

The song All I Want For Christmas Is You was written and produced by Mariah Carey and Walter Afanasieff for her 1994 Merry Christmas album, by the way.
So the "scenario" is alas, the only one possible. At least that I could think of..

Diemen said:
This is quite possibly my favorite rendition of O Holy Night I've heard yet - instrumental (horns). It was apparently on Studio 60 this past week

That's beautiful, I wish I could save it

I heard John Legend sing O Holy Night on a Christmas special, I thought that was pretty good

tonyhotland said:
The song All I Want For Christmas Is You was written and produced by Mariah Carey and Walter Afanasieff for her 1994 Merry Christmas album, by the way.

Get out, really? Huh, you learn something new every day!

She did such a good job of writing a song that sounds like an old throwback that I thought it WAS an old throwback!

:wink:

Diemen said:
you should be able to save it - once you've loaded the page, click on the address and then hit alt-enter and it should download.

That didn't work with Firefox, maybe IE. Nothing technical like that ever works for me.

And was that Chris Botti? :wink:

Diemen said:
This is quite possibly my favorite rendition of O Holy Night I've heard yet - instrumental (horns). It was apparently on Studio 60 this past week. If there's an entire album from these guys I just might have to buy an actual Christmas album. :eek:

When I first saw that a few weeks ago it brought tears to my eyes. :heart: So moving.
When they showed it again the other night I taped it.
If you find an album, pm me..

Popmartijn said:
20+ posts and no mention yet of Phil Spector's A Christmas Gift For You? :sad:
Truly one of the greatest Crimbo albums ever. :up:

Yes, infact I`m playing it right now!

I also love the old stuff by Bing, Sinatra & Dean Martin - my Mum got me into those.

:ohmy: All I know is, that one song about the little kid who wants to by his dying mother a new pair of shoes for Christmas
....makes me want to :barf:

XHendrix24 said:
Fairytale of New York has GOT to be the best "modern" Christmas song by quite a bit.

:yes:

Granted I'm late, but Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses is the best semi-contemporary Christmas song... followed closely by The Kinks' Father Christmas.

Thank you, yertle. A Merry one to you as well.

I appreciate that you recognize my Christmas... like all things Canadian, our holiday is late by several decades.

:shh:

inmyplace13 said:
MS already said it, but the Vince Guaraldi Trio tunes for Charlie Brown Christmas are fantastic.

Also:

sufjanchristmascoverpv8.jpg

:up: Got it for Christmas and what I've heard from it so far is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom