Is there anything MORE annoying than the planned encore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. It's a pretty irritating tradition. Everyone knows it's coming and it feels pretty disingenuous.

bad religion doesn't do encores.

what i hate is the 2nd encore.

didn't springsteen do like 6 encores a few years ago?

i don't mind encores as long as the band doesn't play the same songs every night!!

*cough*u2*cough*

the most i've ever seen is three. the first time i saw duran duran. i think they were expecting the first and maybe the second, but the third was a total surprise, seriously. that was when simon glared at me. :sad:

KhanadaRhodes said:
the most i've ever seen is three. the first time i saw duran duran. i think they were expecting the first and maybe the second, but the third was a total surprise, seriously. that was when simon glared at me. :sad:

:drool: Simon... I'm seeing them April 13th :hyper:

I don't mind planned encores (or even the same songs every night). I figure it gives the band and the audience a little breather. And the same songs every night means they should be well practiced.

Doesn't bother me except on the rare occasion where there really isn't audience support for an encore and they give you one anyway, but I don't go to shows that bad anymore.

The only time I've gotten twitchy during encores was when Wilco was here a year or two ago. The audience was crazy and they did 2 encores, maybe 3. I love Wilco, but.. :| /badfan

i have no problem with it... in fact i'm disapointed when it doesn't happen. if the crowd isn't in to it and they do it anyway, that's a little cheesey... but if you're the headline act, odds are everyone in the building is there because they like you, thus they're gonna want an encore, thus then might as well plan on it ahead of time. :shrug:

elevatedmole said:
The only time I've gotten twitchy during encores was when Wilco was here a year or two ago. The audience was crazy and they did 2 encores, maybe 3. I love Wilco, but.. :| /badfan

They usually do two sets of 4-5 encores each so it's actually like the second half of the show with some of their best songs. The crowd goes wild. I love it. :up: Tori Amos also does 2 sets of encores with 2-3 songs each. I like that.

Last edited:
What I don't get it why instead of bands saying "thank you, good night!" after the main set and before the encore, why don't they just say "we'll be right back!" if there's a planned encore anyway.

I like what U2 did on the Slane video but I think they only did that because it was the hometown show and they wanted to be humble. In general, though, I assume encores for big artists are part of the show. I actually view it more as a break for the band before the next set than 'okay it's time for us to scream so they'll come back out.'

the Manic Street Preachers don't do them. In fact, when they did a one off special gig in Cuba, they did one saying "We don't normally do encores because we're such horrible people".

I appreciate encores but the whole thing is predicted which loses it's magic. The band should just play on the songs now and just leave, no more predicted encores.

HelloAngel said:
What I don't get it why instead of bands saying "thank you, good night!" after the main set and before the encore, why don't they just say "we'll be right back!" if there's a planned encore anyway.

Well, it's a show. Do you honestly think every audience is the "best yet!" either? Not many bands are going to say, "Hey [your city name here], you're a mediocre crowd!" All part of making you feel you got your money's worth.

It's really not a big deal. They're entertainers. There's an element of theater in a rock show. Is this disillusioning somehow?

When I saw Angie Aparo (singer out of Atlanta), he actually said, "Why don't we just act like I went offstage and you guys screamed and then I came back out? You guys know I'm coming back...no need to do this whole thing." He turned around to face the back of the stage, took a drink of water, everyone laughed and cheered, and he played a couple songs for his 'encore.' Quite enjoyable. :up:

I loved the encores for Springsteen (3 encores - Ottawa a few years back...) because it was like they were ready to walk off stage and end the show after the first encore, but the will of the crowd kept them on, and it felt so spontaneous. He made us earn those encores...

I agree with typhoon, it's theatrics, it's the same idea as stage production of any kind.

I've seen Tool 3 times, they don't do encores, they sit on the stage, rest, drink some water and decide if they are gonna play another song or 3 (more or less) Pretty cool, I think.

Back
Top Bottom