Is there anyone else who cant understand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll give you a brush-up on the basics of football.

Send me a message next time you're online and have some time, I'll have you up to speed on chop blocks and flat routes in no time. :sexywink:

Chizip said:
i dont understand cricket

It's easy.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

AcrobatMan said:
American Football,
Ice Hockey,
&
Baseball
Football has enough rules to make it a bit difficult to grasp entirely.

Hockey should be an easy one to comprehend, icing and offsides being the only things a 6 year old might have trouble with.

Baseball is fairly easy at its basic level, just things like the infield fly rule that might confound someone.

yertle-the-turtle said:

It's easy.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
Sounds like a Jenna Jameson movie.

ok ..lets start with ICE HOCKEY ( i call field hockey as HOCKEY)

ICE HOCKEY..
I never saw ICE anywhere except my refrigerator or on TV until I was 25 when I went to UK.. and the only kind of hockey the channels showed were FIELD HOCKEY.

I think its very popular on this forum..I thought such sports could only be played in ICELAND, Greenland and Alaska. But obviously over the past 5 years..I understand this is very popular in USA and Canada.

BASEBALL
I mean..if you dont want your opponent to hit it..why do you pitch FULL TOSS :).. and where are the wickets..?

AMERICAN FOOTBALL
It looks like rugby.. Even rugby ..I dont understand...but...I have watched ...a bit on TV...and sense what they are trying to achieve...but American football..I sometimes see on TV and dont understand anything..

Obviously I can go to websites and understand...and stuff..but I wonder how are these sports this popular on this forum

:)

nothing against these sports

AcrobatMan

american football...
American football is a unique sport -- it is a game about gaining territory as much as it is about scoring points. When two teams step onto a football field, each is battling for every inch it can take from the other. Each team wants to defend the field that is behind it and invade the field in front of it. Ultimately, they want to gain enough ground to score a touchdown or field goal.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/football.htm/printable

and baseball...
Baseball is a game played with a bat, ball and glove. The fundamentals of the game involve throwing the ball, hitting the ball, and catching the ball. Of course, the execution of these three tasks is more challenging than it sounds, and it is that challenge that compels baseball players to play the game.

Unlike most games, a running clock does not limit the length of a baseball game. The two competing teams play over a period of innings, which are subdivided into halves. Professional and college games are generally nine innings long.

During the first half of each inning, the visiting team bats and attempts to score points, called runs, while the home team players take their respective defensive positions in the field. The defense's goal is to get the offensive team's players "out" in a variety of ways. After three outs are recorded, the teams switch -- the offensive team moves to defense, and the defensive team moves to offense. The batting team sends one player at a time to try and hit the ball.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/baseball.htm/printable

AcrobatMan said:
ok ..lets start with ICE HOCKEY ( i call field hockey as HOCKEY)

Why the hell are you only allowed to use right-handed sticks and only use one side of it in field hockey?

AcrobatMan said:
..but I wonder how are these sports this popular on this forum

Let's just answer the basic question and move on. It is obvious that this person is just trying to get people's piss.

The ANSWER: Because people like these sports! Much like you might like a sport or dance or band. You/we are entertained by it!

Very simple. :D

We can probably now ignore the thread or ask a mod to lock it!

They are relatively simple compared to cricket. :huh:

Football, don't get tackled on offense, tackle on defense.

Baseball, get a hit on offense, get an out on defense.

Hockey, kill a man if it means he doesn't get a shot at the goal. (I'm not a big hockey fan because it's legal assault)

Regular Football (soccer) and Tennis are about the only two sports I'm a die-hard fan of.

I tried fitting in with the "Canadian spirit" ever since I moved here and watch Hockey, but I guess it's not my thing. Especially being a footie fan with all the regulations, legal assault just doesn't feel like a professional sport (no offense intended to the Hockey fans). Don't even get me started on American Football.

I guess the only other sport you mentioned that I may like is baseball, but let's face it in Toronto, there isn't a decent team to support. ;)

yertle-the-turtle said:

It's easy.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

That was bewdiful :drool:

I like the complicatedness of cricket, sue me. I like baseball too, but I enjoy cricket more.

I like the fact it takes ages to complete, that a batsman can face six potentially destructive deliveries (Allan Donald and Michael Atherton come to mind) and stay on. I like spin bowling because that requires guile rather than sheer power; it's bloody called 'slow bowling' but it can be devastatingly effective. I like the fact a jammy edge through the slips usually gets you four runs rather than being out. I even like the petit bourgeosie feel about the game - middle names on scorecards, breaks for lunch and tea, 'the pavilion', and the eliteness of it all, that so few nations in the world play it at the highest level.

The only thing I hate are meaningless run chases in limited overs matches or Test matches you know are going to be draws from day three.

Yeah I do like baseball though. Baseball's fun, and there are many of the same elements that I like about cricket - big hits, spectacular catches, good pitching - but it's just not cricket.

Maybe it's a cultural thing.

yertle-the-turtle said:

It's easy.

:lol:

That was brilliant.

And yes, I think maybe it's a cultural thing. If you grow up with a sport or play it when you're young, you're more likely to feel a bond of sorts with it. I've such fond memories of weekend family gatherings back home...a braai (barbeque) and a friendly game of cricket or rugby afterwards. I absolutely LOATHE baseball and American football, but if I grew up with those sports, I probably wouldn't.

The only North American sport I've grown to enjoy is ice hockey. Everything else is just plain boring (to me.) I understand the rules, I just don't understand what there is for me to personally like about them.

zonelistener said:

Let's just answer the basic question and move on. It is obvious that this person is just trying to get people's piss.

not really...its about games u dont understand..

You can say FOOTBALL and CRICKET are sports u dont understand
and how they are so popular..

or something...u wont do anything to a REAL football fan or cricket fan

AcrobatMan
ps: I love football and cricket

bayernfc said:
I guess the only other sport you mentioned that I may like is baseball, but let's face it in Toronto, there isn't a decent team to support. ;)

actually, the toronto blue jays won 87 games and finished in second place in their division, and out of the 30 teams in MLB, they had the 10th best record.

soooooo, there is more than a decent team to support. they're pretty good.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
soooooo, there is more than a decent team to support. they're pretty good.

The entire nation of Canada just doubled over in laughter when you called the Toronto Blue Jays "pretty good".

I get the feeling the team's going to be absolutely dismantled this season (apparently this past season was a lot more expensive than the owners were planning on, and it still didn't get them close to the playoffs), Vernon Wells is going to take off, and we'll be left with another 10 years of shitty baseball and low crowds in Toronto before someone wises up and moves the team to Hartford.

Shea Hillenbrand was right.

the Blues increased payroll from 50 million to 70 million last year, and there is talk it could be increased to 95 million for next year

so a nearly 100% increase in payroll in 2 years time is pretty good

DaveC said:

The entire nation of Canada just doubled over in laughter when you called the Toronto Blue Jays "pretty good".

I get the feeling the team's going to be absolutely dismantled this season (apparently this past season was a lot more expensive than the owners were planning on, and it still didn't get them close to the playoffs), Vernon Wells is going to take off, and we'll be left with another 10 years of shitty baseball and low crowds in Toronto before someone wises up and moves the team to Hartford.

Shea Hillenbrand was right.

i'm sure the folks in tampa, kansas city, pittsburgh, denver & baltimore would gladly switch teams with you.

and i dunno if you were serious or joking, but moving the team to hartford would be a god awful idea, and the mets, yankees and red sox would never allow it.

if they really were to move, i would imagine buffalo would be a more logical option... still close to the fan base, still far away from other teams.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom