Is the forum worth a reasonable monthly or yearly fee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you be willing to spend $3/month OR $24/year (or similar) on this place?

• Yes

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 46.6%

• Total voters

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'm only thinking outloud here... for now... and would really like to get everyone's opinion/feelings on this:

In the case that donations may not work out to sustain the monthly costs and expansion of the forums...

Would you be willing to spend $3/month OR $24/year (or something similar) on this place?

Most people spend more than $3 at Starbucks (or similar), or on a pack of cigs, each day.

All comments and ideas are welcome, and invited.

Thanks,

Joel

Of course.

Just for the visual pleasure of the smilies alone.

:lol: :banghead: :cute: :love: :reject:

tough call

I would pay, because I don't think I could possibly live without my interference family, but at the same time... if it turned into a pay service, I would fear it would change dramatically, because I think we would lose a lot of dear friends... Just a thought.

Anyway, I love interference! Just try and get rid of me.... :sexywink: It's worth $2-3.

There are people like me with an income so tiny I couldn't possibly justify spending it on something like this place. I'd sure miss it though.

this place is worth more than that

The fact that anyone would vote no, especially someone who's been here for 2 years really surprises me.

I mean you could find 3 bucks a month on the ground for gods sakes.

Re: this place is worth more than that

Sicy said:
The fact that anyone would vote no, especially someone who's been here for 2 years really surprises me.

I mean you could find 3 bucks a month on the ground for gods sakes.

see... this is what I fear happening.

Would I? Yes. Can I? I can't don't know. I don't have much money, plus I'd have to convince my parents I DO care about this.

Anyway..

I do agree that it would bring the membership down a *lot*, and probably not be as fun or high-traffic anymore.

Elvis, just out of curiousity, what webhost do you use? Is there any chance another host could be cheaper?

I would. Three bucks a month is nothing, and I'm a college kid.

Also: what about a cool title (you know, for under the username) for supporting members? Something like:

War Child/The Fly/whatever
*Interference Angel*
or
*Supporting Member*
or
*whatever*

Like Public Television, you know, you get a cool toy. :)

Sicy said:

I'm not sure I follow.

People who have been here for two years voting NO. *I voted Yes. I would hate to see Interference lose members over this.

elevatedmole said:
Would I? Yes. Can I? I can't don't know. I don't have much money, plus I'd have to convince my parents I DO care about this.

Anyway..

I do agree that it would bring the membership down a *lot*, and probably not be as fun or high-traffic anymore.

Elvis, just out of curiousity, what webhost do you use? Is there any chance another host could be cheaper?

This server is not hosted on just some webhosting company... it is hosted on a friends server which is co-located, all we have to do is pay for bandwidth.

I voted over in PLEBA. I was just curious...and forgive me if I'm asking for info that you've already given...what the cost breakdown is? When I get a job again I'll be able to contribute...but til then I'm up a creek. :slant:

Yes I would pay. ---> I voted yes for the record.

paxetaurora said:
Also: what about a cool title (you know, for under the username) for supporting members? Something like:

War Child/The Fly/whatever
*Interference Angel*
or
*Supporting Member*
or
*whatever*

Like Public Television, you know, you get a cool toy. :)

I think this is a really cool idea.

diamond said:
Joel-
Do you take foodstamps?:banghead: :dance:
DB9:sexywink:

What you saying that you could not pony up some of those length wise folded (some of you will get that and some will not) dollars bills you spend at the flesh club???:eyebrow:

Interference has been my online home for a long time now, and I have donated, will continue to donate, etc. to help keep it running. However, in the next two years while I?m away with the Peace Corps, making minimum wage and having no net access, I?m not so sure if it would be feasible. Which would make me quite sad. :|

I?m more than willing to donate money, but I really fear what would happen to this place if it became a pay-for site. I think it would lose a lot of the spontaneity and fresh blood and become more closed as only those who are really regulars would be willing to fork over cash. Part of what makes this place great is the large variety of members and the constant influx of U2 fans. A closed community that has a natural wall to outsiders (money) is less likely to stay fresh and reflect a variety of opinions, personalities, cultures, and views. I have to be honest and say that overall, I think it would be a negative thing for the community. If anyone has a problem with that, please keep in mind that it is my opinion and I believe I am entitled to it. I love this place as much as anyone and I care about what happens to it.

I'll do and donate what I can, and will do what needs to be done.

To those of you who silently continue to overuse the Forum each day and ignore these discussions, while driving up bandwidth and not feeling the need to say your peace either way - ALL OF THESE POLLS ARE DIRECTED AT YOU.

I recognize times are hard. Money is elusive. I also recognize that many of you spend valuable money-making hours on the Internet rather than doing other things. Using this site for hours a day DRIVES UP BANDWIDTH COSTS. Therefore, putting Interference in a monetary bind that is currently the issue of the day.

But yet, so many of you, sit silently thinking "Oh, someone will take care of it."

Not true. Well yes, somewhat true.

Of the current approx. 7200 registered users, only LESS THAN 20 of you have donated. (And we do appreciate every penny).

LESS THAN 20. LESS THAN 20.

But yet, more than 100 of you use the Forum for hours each day. Amazing isn't?

If all of the 100 or so regulars who love to sit here on Interference ALL DAY EVERY DAY donated at least $2 monthly - look at HOW MUCH $$$$$ could be raised. We love the regulars - but sitting on the site all day (and all high traffic also caused by LURKERS) costs $$$$$$$$$$$. And it is this high usage and traffic that the Admins/Hosts have been paying for all along.

I suppose many of you believe you deserve to have your lunch paid for by another poor person without helping out sometime.

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

At $24/year...wouldn't just over 200 people cover the yearly $5000 nut, and there are over 7000 registered users(which means like 800 people when you factor in multiple screen names:sexywink: ), so that potentially leaves a lot of extra $$$.
$24 may be a bit hefty , maybe a smaller amount.

I hate to mention it, and Elvis I know you are against it, but what about advertising? Not annoying pop ups, but maybe just ad banners at the top, it could help keep the place free.

Hewson said:
At $24/year...wouldn't just over 200 people cover the yearly $5000 nut, and there are over 7000 registered users(which means like 800 people when you factor in multiple screen names:sexywink: ), so that potentially leaves a lot of extra $$$.
$24 may be a bit hefty , maybe a smaller amount.

I hate to mention it, and Elvis I know you are against it, but what about advertising? Not annoying pop ups, but maybe just ad banners at the top, it could help keep the place free.

Find me an adbanner company that ACTUALLY pays... and I'll consider it - even though the thought makes me ill.

i'd be glad to pay for access to interference. although, i would think a yearly fee would be better. but hey, who's to say both couldn't be offered anyway? so if i had to choose between paying monthly or yearly (even if they came out to be the same) i'd rather pay yearly.

also, hello angel mentioned about how the lurkers run up the bandwidth...i have a possible suggestion for that, even if interference were to stay free. you could always make this a closed forum, meaning you had to be registered and logged in to browse the forums. anyone wanting to hide their online presence could merely check themselves off as being invisible. :)

oh yeah, i have a question though...just out of curiosity, would people with multiple handles be charged for each one, or is it a flat fee per member? i don't have have an alter or anything, i was just wondering.

anyway, hopefully i'll get a job soon and be able to come up with some money to give to interference. :D

Elvis said:

Find me an adbanner company that ACTUALLY pays... and I'll consider it - even though the thought makes me ill.

I would pay more for that NOT to happen. I am dead fucking serious about that shit too.:mad:

would it be possible to get a donation? Perhaps by someone involved with U2? We are the largest U2 fan community.

I'm not really sure what to answer on the poll. Im too young to use internet paypal things and I dont really trust snail mail.

I don't really mind popups that much. I have a popup stopper so half the time I never see them. The site in my profile has popups and I have never found them annoying.

You could always cut down on bandwith. Maybe if you deleted all the accounts that are unactive for 90 days. I dont know how much that would help but it should help a little. Also, if you got rid of all the alter-egos that would help.

I have 1 more idea. This should help but Im not that familiar with this stuff. Anyway, you could get rid of some forums and merge some of them. Example:
Inside brodcast, dont expect suggest, and form help could be merged into one forum.
The goal is soul and its a musical journey could also be merged.

If you did get banner ads maybe you could use something relating to music? Like an HMV add or something.

Last edited:
RavenStar said:
would it be possible to get a donation? Perhaps by someone involved with U2? We are the largest U2 fan community.

True, but I doubt anybody in the U2 camp would support as, as Zootopia is their official forum. :slant:

Really, if everybody just donated a tiny bit, everything would be fine! I wasn't able to donate much right now, but I contributed a small share, and I will be doing more in the future if needed. But, people, don't rely on a few of us to carry everybody because it's not going to happen. I'm a college student with a student worker job on campus...I am NOT making the big bucks. But Interference/U2 is my biggest hobby, and it's worth putting a little money into.

Back
Top Bottom