Is the forum worth a reasonable monthly or yearly fee? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Would you be willing to spend $3/month OR $24/year (or similar) on this place?
Yes 47 53.41%
No 41 46.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2002, 12:34 AM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 09:18 PM
I was wondering one last thing. Why is it that peole cant vote on the polls?
I hope I'm not being too nosey asking that.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:36 AM   #92
Kid A

there are over 7,000 members? I'm a little curious about how the numbers add up here, $24 per year... how many members do you anticipate keeping then... 200?

Old 08-07-2002, 12:48 AM   #93
Refugee

Normal No.

As much as I'm addicted to this place, I wouldn't pay.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:12 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenStar
I was wondering one last thing. Why is it that peole cant vote on the polls?
I hope I'm not being too nosey asking that.
Check this thread:

http://forum2.interference.com/showt...threadid=61088
Old 08-07-2002, 01:37 AM   #95
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 08:18 PM
wink jk

are donations tax deductable?
Old 08-07-2002, 02:04 AM   #96
Refugee

thanks, elevatedmole!

I think one reason that the donations thing is good is because people will more likely DONATE $24 a year then be forced to pay money.
Sicy was right about the smilies though. So much fun!
Old 08-07-2002, 02:05 AM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
I'll do and donate what I can, and will do what needs to be done.

To those of you who silently continue to overuse the Forum each day and ignore these discussions, while driving up bandwidth and not feeling the need to say your peace either way - ALL OF THESE POLLS ARE DIRECTED AT YOU.

I recognize times are hard. Money is elusive. I also recognize that many of you spend valuable money-making hours on the Internet rather than doing other things. Using this site for hours a day DRIVES UP BANDWIDTH COSTS. Therefore, putting Interference in a monetary bind that is currently the issue of the day.

But yet, so many of you, sit silently thinking "Oh, someone will take care of it."

Not true. Well yes, somewhat true.

Of the current approx. 7200 registered users, only LESS THAN 20 of you have donated. (And we do appreciate every penny).

LESS THAN 20. LESS THAN 20.

But yet, more than 100 of you use the Forum for hours each day. Amazing isn't?

If all of the 100 or so regulars who love to sit here on Interference ALL DAY EVERY DAY donated at least $2 monthly - look at HOW MUCH $$$$$ could be raised. We love the regulars - but sitting on the site all day (and all high traffic also caused by LURKERS) costs $$$$$$$$$$$. And it is this high usage and traffic that the Admins/Hosts have been paying for all along.

I suppose many of you believe you deserve to have your lunch paid for by another poor person without helping out sometime.

ugh.... what horrible form. absolutely atrocious.

why not just leave what elvis said?! elvis put it perfectly, but this is simply coming across far to harsh, and people will agree.

if intimidation tactics are needed to raise money, then shame on you. but they arent, because ive read all of elvis's posts and they HAVE been tactful. i agree he needs money, and shouldnt have to pay for it himself.

however, the way you came across is simply disgusting. you dont "ask" for money in that sort of fashion.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:09 AM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

i also want to point something else to you hellonangel....

you say that only 20 percent of us have payed, alright, fine but you said 20 percent of the 7200 registered users, and that means a shit load of people! and as far as i knew, this campaign only recently began....i think.

at least before today i had no idea it really existed.

and 7200 users can mean several handles per user, plus people who never post anymore or did and dont any more.

20 percent doesnt sound so bad at this point then does it?
Old 08-07-2002, 02:25 AM   #99
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
i also want to point something else to you hellonangel....

you say that only 20 percent of us have payed, alright, fine but you said 20 percent of the 7200 registered users, and that means a shit load of people! and as far as i knew, this campaign only recently began....i think.

at least before today i had no idea it really existed.

and 7200 users can mean several handles per user, plus people who never post anymore or did and dont any more.

20 percent doesnt sound so bad at this point then does it?
bear,

i take it you havent read my posts in this thread... perhaps you should.

Also.. something to note.. the current figure of $693 has been donated by LESS than 30 members!

As for your question pertaining to donating money... those involved with running Interference which extends beyond myself, to the admins, moderators, designers, etc... are the ones involved in making the decisions. From time to time, I/we do look to the membership for opinion/ideas... which is how this thread started. Even if Bono decided to drop us the entire $5000... he wouldn't have controlling power of Interference. Those who are donating... are doing just that donating to keep something that they already enjoy going... not buying stock options. lol
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:29 AM   #100
The Fly

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Interesting i have mixed feelings. I am also a college student and could afford the money. I understand that some don't have jobs and i've been there.

I have been here for only two months or less and have become attatched. I would feel more confortable donating because theres no presure but there is a sense of resposibility to help. But if would have come to pay for this I would, I already spend too much money on junk food so i could cut back
Old 08-07-2002, 02:34 AM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

thank you elvis, thats more than i expected.

30 members coming up with over 600 dollars is commendable to say the least.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:54 AM   #102
New Yorker

In reference to HelloAngel's harsh words:

I guess we can attribute some of them to the fact that she's having to balance the books/do alotta stuff on her own, but still i don't see any reason for people to have a guilt trip put on them simply because they think there are more important things in life to spend their money on than a website. Her tone is the sort I'd have hoped to hear used in reference to things that are actually important, things like charities, 3rd World Relief and the like. If someone is prepared to donate, fine, but I don't see the decency in putting guilt trips on people to the point that they explain their financial situation in detail on this forum.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:46 AM   #103
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Excuse me if this has already been mentioned...

The majority of the people here who are willing to donate a yearly fee have, over time, developed a love for Interference and would not think twice about a few dollars here and there to help support in the up keep of the site. Most of the people here (myself included) have made many friends via Interference and had some wonderful experiences. Hence, handing over a few $$ isnt a big deal.

However, this system would not help with respects to getting new people to the site. Having to pay a fee (no matter how small) is a definate turn-off for many people especially if they have no real idea about the site and the experiences the member of the site have. Security over payment method is also an issue for many people and may deter people from joining the site.

Although this may be a goof short term fix to many issues facing the longevity of the site, there are many problems that could surface as a result of fee payment.

Once again, sorry if this has been mentioned before
Old 08-07-2002, 06:01 AM   #104
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:18 PM
It has been mentioned, bono_man, and I do agree with that. I think if it was a pay site, it would discourage new members. I know this place and know I love it, so I would pay. But if I was just looking to sign up, I really don't think I'd pay...I'd probably just go over to Zootopia or something.

I think somebody else also mentioned something about a trial basis being available for new people...something like a 30-day introduction where they would not have to pay. There would have to be a way to block that IP from just registering another free account after the end of those 30 days though.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-07-2002, 07:18 AM   #105
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 12:18 PM
I also think its sad that some people have felt a need to resort to guilt trip tactics to get their point across. Wasnt this just meant to see how people feel about the idea?

We are all aware of the value of $3 and dont need people to tell us how much it is nor do we need people telling us what we should and should not be spending our money on. In doing so, I am sure you have got a lot of people around here offside and for this reason alone, I will not contribute to such a thing. Maybe if the so called representatives of this site had used more tact (Elvis, you are not included here) more people would be open to giving up their hard-earned cash.