Is the forum worth a reasonable monthly or yearly fee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you be willing to spend $3/month OR $24/year (or similar) on this place?

• Yes

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 46.6%

• Total voters
I was wondering one last thing. Why is it that peole cant vote on the polls?
I hope I'm not being too nosey asking that.

there are over 7,000 members? I'm a little curious about how the numbers add up here, $24 per year... how many members do you anticipate keeping then... 200?

thanks, elevatedmole!

I think one reason that the donations thing is good is because people will more likely DONATE $24 a year then be forced to pay money.
Sicy was right about the smilies though. So much fun!
:dance: :banghead: :reject: :macdevil: :evil: :shocked: :wink: :eeklaugh:

HelloAngel said:
I'll do and donate what I can, and will do what needs to be done.

To those of you who silently continue to overuse the Forum each day and ignore these discussions, while driving up bandwidth and not feeling the need to say your peace either way - ALL OF THESE POLLS ARE DIRECTED AT YOU.

I recognize times are hard. Money is elusive. I also recognize that many of you spend valuable money-making hours on the Internet rather than doing other things. Using this site for hours a day DRIVES UP BANDWIDTH COSTS. Therefore, putting Interference in a monetary bind that is currently the issue of the day.

But yet, so many of you, sit silently thinking "Oh, someone will take care of it."

Not true. Well yes, somewhat true.

Of the current approx. 7200 registered users, only LESS THAN 20 of you have donated. (And we do appreciate every penny).

LESS THAN 20. LESS THAN 20.

But yet, more than 100 of you use the Forum for hours each day. Amazing isn't?

If all of the 100 or so regulars who love to sit here on Interference ALL DAY EVERY DAY donated at least $2 monthly - look at HOW MUCH $$$$$ could be raised. We love the regulars - but sitting on the site all day (and all high traffic also caused by LURKERS) costs $$$$$$$$$$$. And it is this high usage and traffic that the Admins/Hosts have been paying for all along.

I suppose many of you believe you deserve to have your lunch paid for by another poor person without helping out sometime.

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

ugh.... what horrible form. absolutely atrocious.

why not just leave what elvis said?! elvis put it perfectly, but this is simply coming across far to harsh, and people will agree.

if intimidation tactics are needed to raise money, then shame on you. but they arent, because ive read all of elvis's posts and they HAVE been tactful. i agree he needs money, and shouldnt have to pay for it himself.

however, the way you came across is simply disgusting. you dont "ask" for money in that sort of fashion.

i also want to point something else to you hellonangel....

you say that only 20 percent of us have payed, alright, fine but you said 20 percent of the 7200 registered users, and that means a shit load of people! and as far as i knew, this campaign only recently began....i think.

at least before today i had no idea it really existed.

and 7200 users can mean several handles per user, plus people who never post anymore or did and dont any more.

20 percent doesnt sound so bad at this point then does it?

Zoomerang96 said:
i also want to point something else to you hellonangel....

you say that only 20 percent of us have payed, alright, fine but you said 20 percent of the 7200 registered users, and that means a shit load of people! and as far as i knew, this campaign only recently began....i think.

at least before today i had no idea it really existed.

and 7200 users can mean several handles per user, plus people who never post anymore or did and dont any more.

20 percent doesnt sound so bad at this point then does it?

bear,

i take it you havent read my posts in this thread... perhaps you should.

Also.. something to note.. the current figure of $693 has been donated by LESS than 30 members!

As for your question pertaining to donating money... those involved with running Interference which extends beyond myself, to the admins, moderators, designers, etc... are the ones involved in making the decisions. From time to time, I/we do look to the membership for opinion/ideas... which is how this thread started. Even if Bono decided to drop us the entire $5000... he wouldn't have controlling power of Interference. Those who are donating... are doing just that donating to keep something that they already enjoy going... not buying stock options. lol

Interesting i have mixed feelings. I am also a college student and could afford the money. I understand that some don't have jobs and i've been there.

I have been here for only two months or less and have become attatched. I would feel more confortable donating because theres no presure but there is a sense of resposibility to help. But if would have come to pay for this I would, I already spend too much money on junk food:D so i could cut back

thank you elvis, thats more than i expected.

30 members coming up with over 600 dollars is commendable to say the least.

In reference to HelloAngel's harsh words:

I guess we can attribute some of them to the fact that she's having to balance the books/do alotta stuff on her own, but still i don't see any reason for people to have a guilt trip put on them simply because they think there are more important things in life to spend their money on than a website. Her tone is the sort I'd have hoped to hear used in reference to things that are actually important, things like charities, 3rd World Relief and the like. If someone is prepared to donate, fine, but I don't see the decency in putting guilt trips on people to the point that they explain their financial situation in detail on this forum.

Excuse me if this has already been mentioned...

The majority of the people here who are willing to donate a yearly fee have, over time, developed a love for Interference and would not think twice about a few dollars here and there to help support in the up keep of the site. Most of the people here (myself included) have made many friends via Interference and had some wonderful experiences. Hence, handing over a few $$ isnt a big deal.

However, this system would not help with respects to getting new people to the site. Having to pay a fee (no matter how small) is a definate turn-off for many people especially if they have no real idea about the site and the experiences the member of the site have. Security over payment method is also an issue for many people and may deter people from joining the site.

Although this may be a goof short term fix to many issues facing the longevity of the site, there are many problems that could surface as a result of fee payment.

Once again, sorry if this has been mentioned before :)

It has been mentioned, bono_man, and I do agree with that. I think if it was a pay site, it would discourage new members. I know this place and know I love it, so I would pay. But if I was just looking to sign up, I really don't think I'd pay...I'd probably just go over to Zootopia or something.

I think somebody else also mentioned something about a trial basis being available for new people...something like a 30-day introduction where they would not have to pay. There would have to be a way to block that IP from just registering another free account after the end of those 30 days though.

I also think its sad that some people have felt a need to resort to guilt trip tactics to get their point across. Wasnt this just meant to see how people feel about the idea?

We are all aware of the value of $3 and dont need people to tell us how much it is nor do we need people telling us what we should and should not be spending our money on. In doing so, I am sure you have got a lot of people around here offside and for this reason alone, I will not contribute to such a thing. Maybe if the so called representatives of this site had used more tact (Elvis, you are not included here) more people would be open to giving up their hard-earned cash.

What a real stick for all involved. Thats an enormous personal cost to Elvis. And it is done for love.

I was talking before to another old timer earlier about this and the idea popped up about auctions.
The idea has kinda been growing with me ever since. We could see what the concensus is on some of us donating some of our U2 collectables and doing our own type of interference ebay. I would bet that we as a fan base have a phenomenal collection of things and understandably may not want to part with certain things, but I know I have some stuff that I would give up in a flash for auctioning. My U2 collection is not as important to me as it once was, and I think the rest of the stuff I own is fairly standard and therefore not really worth much. I dont think I have anything that would earn a great deal, but really whatever I do have to auction would serve 2 purposes. One, it would go to an owner who appreciates it more than I, and secondly, the money can go directly into Interference.

The kind of stuff we could sell off is really limited only by our willingness to part with our collections. Its not a long term solution and it may not even begin to answer the problem Elvis faces, but does anyone have thoughts on this?

Bonochick said:
I think somebody else also mentioned something about a trial basis being available for new people...something like a 30-day introduction where they would not have to pay. There would have to be a way to block that IP from just registering another free account after the end of those 30 days though.

That was my idea

And there is a way to block them. I know from my own experience. My reg IP for this site is currently blocked.

I subscribe to People, Blender, and Better Homes and Gardens Magazines. I read them whenever I get them in the mail cover to cover. I pay no more than 25 dollars per each subscription per year.

I am on Interference everyday, although I don't post alot. I read posts "cover to cover". To me, this place is where I can get all my U2 information-so it's sort of a U2 magazine for me. I would have no problem paying no more than 25$ for a "subscription" a year, just like I do for my other subscriptions.

My two cents.
And no making fun of me for the "Better Homes and Gardens" magazine ok?

bono_man said:
Maybe if the so called representatives of this site had used more tact (Elvis, you are not included here) more people would be open to giving up their hard-earned cash.

Well, reading this thread now I feel comfortable being honest, since some others have been. Normally I wouldn't feel comfortable.

I truly appreciate the effort people put forth for this forum, and I've enjoyed getting to know some very nice people here. I am willing to help, but some things in this thread really offended me. It is not right, as others have said, to 'browbeat,'intimidate' 'lay on guilt trips' or question how people spend their money. Some things said here make me feel VERY unwelcome in this forum-like I have no right to be here unless I can justify my presence here w/ a cash donation.

Sorry, but this has turned me off to donating. Just being honest here, w/ nothing personal against anyone/no offense intended.

Gina Marie said:

Well, reading this thread now I feel comfortable being honest, since some others have been. Normally I wouldn't feel comfortable.

I truly appreciate the effort people put forth for this forum, and I've enjoyed getting to know some very nice people here. I am willing to help, but some things in this thread really offended me. It is not right, as others have said, to 'browbeat,'intimidate' 'lay on guilt trips' or question how people spend their money. Some things said here make me feel VERY unwelcome in this forum-like I have no right to be here unless I can justify my presence here w/ a cash donation.

Sorry, but this has turned me off to donating. Just being honest here, w/ nothing personal against anyone/no offense intended.

Gina, and others....

I think more than anything, this thread was intended to play devil's advocate, as well as were some of the posts in it.

We (those involved in Interference) have no want or intention to limit Interference to those only that can pay. That would be insane... and against the purpose of why I initially started this place - which was to create a community of U2 fans.. as many as possible.. and to let everyone share the experience... which once was not cohesive at all. Everyone's emotions are running high about this.. some one way.. some another... but things seem to be going steady with the donations for now... lets all settle down... work together... and make the original point of this thread NULL. For those that feel attacked... I personally apologize... I want everyone to feel at 'home' here... and perhaps I should have waited to post such a thread... to stir the pot... after we saw how donations were doing, what's done is done...

Again, thanks to all that have and are donating!

Joel

I'm going to apologize here and explain where I was coming from. :)

It was not meant as a guilt trip, a brow-beating exercise, or however it has been described. I'm not that kind of person. (Those of you who know me no I am nothing like that).

:arrow: It came from talking to Elvis and realizing how dire the situation is in terms of money and how soon Interference could have been turned off. I panicked. Therefore, words came quick, and at the time, although I didn't mean them in a harsh way, words can take on a life of their own. :eek:

It also came from trying to think of a PlanB and realizing that a PlanB is a large challenge and might be insurmountable.

That was my only point in writing what I wrote. I'm sorry if offense was taken, because I sincerely sincerely did not mean it that way. Elvis and I have been jumping up and down looking at the heartfelt generosity that has been layed out here in such a short time. :heart: :cute:

I certainly do not expect people to donate, and mainly for all of the reasons you all have described above. An no, I could never imagine this being a paid site; Donations are more fair. :yes:

I realize that tone is hard to decipher over email, the Internet, etc - but I am not a harsh person and never intended to be gruff. I hope you can forgive me. I will not make excuses for myself - all I can say is that my words did not come from a bad place. It came from a place of wanting this wonderful place to stay afloat.

I'm going to lay low now on this thread, because it was only a Poll to gauge people's thoughts. And the people's thoughts are what it needs to continue to measure. :yes:

Last edited:
well...in less than a month donation have almost racked up 1000 dollars.

If that rate keeps up interference will be flying high

Well... I voted no.

But if it is a must, I wouldn't mind to pay for this, as $3 per month is not really a big deal. The question is how.(I'm sorry if someone has already asked this question. I didn't read through all of this thread...) I'm too young to have a credit card. My dad won't let me to use his credit card for this. Through snail mail? Do I need to change it to US dollars? Is it secure enough? :silent: :scream: I don't know...

I hope nobody feels that I'm trying to guilt-trip anybody into donating or anything. I was just trying to point out how small of an amount can really help (small amounts we spend everyday that we don't even realize). :)

Basstrap said:
well...in less than a month donation have almost racked up 1000 dollars.

If that rate keeps up interference will be flying high

Actually... in 2 days exactly, we have raised $803 so far.

Thats really incredible! If we can keep up the pace we'll be at the goal in no time, and won't have to have another major donation drive for quite awhile.

:)

I dunno... i understand those who are willing to pay, and i understand those who'd prefer giving their money to other things over a internet forum. (i tend to agree with the later opinion)
And of course, i understand those who can't afford to pay.

And i do think if people are having such heated debates already, imagine what will happen if the 5000 dollars won't be collected and this becomes a must-pay site.

And i hope that there won't be a "you payed - you're cool" and "you didn't pay - get lost" vibe around with this donating thing.

Maybe the 5000 $ will be collected via the donations.

U2girl said:
And i hope that there won't be a "you payed - you're cool" and "you didn't pay - get lost" vibe around with this donating thing.
i hope not either. it seems so far elvis is keeping the names a secret. however, i hope months later, there's not some heated argument on the forum and someone retorts something like "well i'm right because at least i donated money" or something. i'd like to think the members of interference are bigger than that. :D

HelloAngel said:
. I'm not that kind of person. (Those of you who know me no I am nothing like that).

. Elvis and I have been jumping up and down looking at the heartfelt generosity that has been layed out here in such a short time. :heart: :cute:

and never intended to be gruff. I hope you can forgive me.
. :yes:

Having met Carrie in real life, she is probably one of the sweetest U2 Fans ever.
I have met a great many this last tour:)
This girl is cool and epitomizes what a U2Fan should be.:)

Keep up the good work folks-

Sincerely-
Diamond:dance: :cool:

Last edited:
Elvis said:

Find me an adbanner company that ACTUALLY pays... and I'll consider it - even though the thought makes me ill.

ghetofabu said:

I would pay more for that NOT to happen. I am dead fucking serious about that shit too.:mad:

I agree with gheto on this one, NO banner ads PLEASE!! :no:

It sounds like everyone is calming down about this which is good. For those of you who were offended by the quick and harsh words, please accept the apologizes also.

:heart: Now let's all have a group hug. :heart:

Personally, I don't post here much any more and there are PLENTY of things/people that bug the hell out of me here....but there are also PLENTY of things/people that make me smile. In other words...
* I don't want to see this place go away.
* I appreciate the hard work all involved contribute.
* I've donated the recommended yearly amount.

Back
Top Bottom