Is SNL written by first graders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnRKeyintheUSA

War Child
Watching it last week I realized their writing has sunk to a new low. How many potty jokes, pee your pants, poo poo, farts, toilets, etc. are going to be funny? Most people go through a phase of thinking that stuff is funny- in early elementary grades. These writers suck. Many of their skits also have no purpose or punch line and are not funny. Can we fire them all or put the show out if its misery please?

Yeah, I usually attribute crappy, juvenile skit writing to MadTV, but apparently they have flopped places with SNL as of late and are the better show currently.

It's sad how bad SNL has gotten. The SNL Digital Shorts are the only thing good about the program anymore.

I wish NBC would cancel the show. Just pull them off the air for a season and make them get their shit together.

Stupid TV. Be more funny!

I can't watch SNL anymore. Too painful. I might tune in for weekend update, but I won't go out of my way to watch it.

I read an interesting article in The National Post a while back, and they say the reason for SNL's nosedive is its dependence on dialogue-driven skits, and poorly written dialogue at that (the well-written dialogues left with Tina Fey, imo). Who are the physical comedians of the cast? Amy Poehler maybe...

I know there's alot of Andy Samberg love out there too, but he falls under the first-grader category for me. "Dick In A Box"? That was funny for about 5 seconds, and people were hailing it as the funniest skit ever.

I can't bring myself to watch any more either. All I'm interested in these days are the musical guests, and Weekend Update. The writing has definitely gone down the crapper.

I don't like Andy Samberg. He looks smug, and it makes me want to punch him.

I did think Dick in a Box was funny, though. It's the Cupcakes rap thing I thought was stupid while everyone was raving about it five ways from Sunday.

maro_chik said:

I know there's alot of Andy Samberg love out there too, but he falls under the first-grader category for me. "Dick In A Box"? That was funny for about 5 seconds, and people were hailing it as the funniest skit ever.

Thank God, I thought I was the only person who didn't find that funny...I thought the fact that Facebook added a box with a hole in it as a gift option for Valentines day was funnier then that sketch

The last time I watched SNL was when U2 were on and that was pretty tough. Of course, U2 were great, but it was dreadful sitting through the show to see them. I realize SNL is now an NBC institution, but I never really liked the show after Martin Short left and that was waaay back in the 80's.

The sad thing is, this is the best season since Will Ferrell left.

TThe cast members are all talented, but don't have that "Go-To Guy":

the '70s cast had about 5 of them: Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner and even perennial host-but-never-a-cast-member Steve Martin

The absymal early '80s had Eddie Murphy and to a lesser extent Joe Piscopo (you know, before he started injecting Ivan Drago-sized steroids into his body)

The late '80s had a great cast anchored by Phil Hartman.

The early '90s had Mike Myers and gradually Chris Farley.

The '94-'95 season was by far the worst SNL season ever since the '80-'81 disaster, try and watch that shit again and laughing.

The mid-late '90s cast almost fell under that same format of a "Go-To Guy"-less cast, then Will Ferrell emerged as one of the funniest cast members ever.

Look at the cast since Ferrell left and tell me there's a guy like him. There just isn't, and until they find a guy like that. I like Andy Samberg, but he's like the 21st Century Adam Sandler (Instead of Weekend Update bits, he does Digital Shorts, same difference.)

Also, SNL needs to find a group of hosts that will host maybe around 10-15 times in the next 6 years, soon. Alec Baldwin, John Goodman, and Steve Martin aren't getting any younger. Justin Timberlake might become another 5-Timer soon, he's hilarious.

And Mike's right, sometimes MadTV is actually funnier than SNL. Watch Keegan Michael Key as Coach Hines or Bobby Lee in anything, they're absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:
I'm not defending SNL because I don't watch that often and when I do it's for about 15 minutes, but I feel like people have been saying the show sucks for the past 15 years. Bashing the show seems like the collectively cool thing to do, but the amazing thing is that the old episodes get better as time passes - even the supposedly bad episodes. In 5 years, we'll probably being the same things we're saying now.

Hmmm, Are You Funnier that a First Grader? They could make that work.:wink:

randhail said:
I'm not defending SNL because I don't watch that often and when I do it's for about 15 minutes, but I feel like people have been saying the show sucks for the past 15 years. Bashing the show seems like the collectively cool thing to do, but the amazing thing is that the old episodes get better as time passes - even the supposedly bad episodes. In 5 years, we'll probably being the same things we're saying now.
It's true, nostalgia's a bitch. SNL has had ups and downs its entire run.

Canadiens1160 said:
It's true, nostalgia's a bitch. SNL has had ups and downs its entire run.

:up: This is true. This season is OK. I have watched SNL since its beginnings, off and on, and each season has had its ups and downs. Sometimes I just watch it for the News or just for their great home made commercial ads, or for the musical guest. But I have remained a faithful viewer even till now.

3/31-musical guest is ARCADE FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't watched SNL in ages because I just don't think it's funny anymore. I've heard interviews with a lot of former cast members about the way the show is run and it seems all Lorne Michaels is interested in is either spawning a catch phrase or a movie.

Back
Top Bottom