Is Melon really an Uber-Intellectual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who is your favorite classical composer? Why is this person your favorite composer? What is your favorite piece of music composed by that person?

I am really enjoying this thread and glad I found it! Melon - you rock! :up:

Hmmm - now a question I guess...

How long will it take me to shovel 7" of snow off of a 20 x 14" deck with 5 5' wide stairs and a 15' x 3' walkway? Just kidding, but I'm off!

deep said:
Barokpaukje1.JPEG

Melon,

If you remove the streached skin from this drum

and strike in the open space, is there a sound ?

It depends on how much you can compress the air between your hand and the open drum. It certainly can make a sound.

Melon

DebbieSG said:
-what building in Boston has a terrific view of Fannuel Hall?

I don't know if there is really any that have a terrific view, but it isn't difficult to go there and see it up close.

-what is Harvard famous for, besides the Yard?

Harvard is famous for lots of stuff, really. I walk through that campus quite a bit actually. If I can find an interesting Ph.D program, I might apply there.

and finally, where is the best shopping in the metropolitan area?

Downtown Crossing, Copley Place and surrounding areas, and Cambridgeside Galleria.

Melon

AvsGirl41 said:
I have a dumb question...the answer probably lies in your profile, which I can't access! Or it has been answered in the past.

Where do you go to school? And what do you study?

I go to Emerson College. I studying for an M.A. in media arts.

Melon

icelle said:
what is the meaning of political science? where's the science in politics?

LOL...where is the art in liberalism ("liberal arts")? It's really a goofy phrase, if you ask me.

Melon

Dreadsox said:
Who is your favorite classical composer? Why is this person your favorite composer? What is your favorite piece of music composed by that person?

Difficult question, considering I really don't have much of an opinion on this.

I like Samuel Barber. I don't know why I like him. I really like "Adagio for Strings."

Melon

Melon,

I went to Tufts *years* back.

I do not remember where Emerson is, is it anywhere near Tufts?

ouizy said:
Melon,

I went to Tufts *years* back.

I do not remember where Emerson is, is it anywhere near Tufts?

Emerson College is downtown in scattered buildings surrounding Boston Common.

Melon

oliveu2cm said:
What do you think of the big dig?

;) Olive

I think it will immensely revitalize the east end of Boston once it is all over. It has always been my opinion that the interstate system is what has ruined most of our cities, and to see that Boston took the initiative to try and put this system underground and reclaim the waterfront is fantastic.

Sure, it's taken 20 years and $15 billion, but I cannot think of a better and lasting investment for the future vitality and prosperity of Boston.

Melon

There is a new book out called "1421" and it alleges the Chinese, um, discovered "America" in 1421. Now, we all know that the "Indians" were here, um, first. Among the other popular and non-popular theories (Vikings/Leif, some Polish guy, Columbus, etc. etc.), who do YOU think "discovered America?"

melon said:

I go to Emerson College. I studying for an M.A. in media arts.

Melon

I was almost a Police Officer there. Went to work at the Ritz instead.

Here is a question for you....

Does Kenny the doorman still work the door on Arlington Street at the Ritz?

melon said:

It depends on how much you can compress the air between your hand and the open drum. It certainly can make a sound.

Melon

Melon,

Great job with all of your answers!

I know my question about the drum seemed silly.
Most people would say there is no sound without a skin to hit.

I was thinking about the tree falling in the forest and no one there.

I agree the question sounds egocentric. But, does not what we call sound only exist because the crashing of the tree sends sound waves (tiny particles) that strike our eardrums causing them to vibrate, a la sound,

Remove our eardrums, well I think you see where I am going. The crashing of the tree is only half of the equation.

What is the US involvement right now in Colombia's drug trafficking?

I know that under the "antiterrorism package" Bush signed last year, Colombia's president Alvaro Uribe Velez, can use 1.7 Billion in U.S. military aid directly against the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).

But in reality do you think this will do anything at all for Colombia's 38-year-old conflict?

(I'm learning about Colombia right now.. and well.. at times all this info confuses me! Just looking for an opinion)

Why do IgG3 and IgG2a get digested faster by pepsin than IgG1?

melon said:

Real lemon juice is too sour for most people and is so acidic that it can contribute to tooth decay (although it is good for liver detoxification). The artificial flavoring tones it down a bit, making it more tolerable for mass consumption.

However, it is a fantastic natural detergent, and we don't have to worry about tooth decay on our clothing, now do we?

Melon
A follow up to the lemon dish detergent answer: What advantage is there to washing your clothes in the dishwasher?

Also: Who is a more important Emerson Alum: Anthony Clark or Jay Leno?

How tall is Bruce Springsteen? No cheating :D, because trust me, I've got a pretty good idea about the answer to this one...

And how does he look so good at his age? :wink:

anitram said:
Why do IgG3 and IgG2a get digested faster by pepsin than IgG1?

Yay! A question I care about. :yes: Sorry Melon, but the geeky biochemist that I am must at least ponder this question.

Truthfully, I don't know the absolute answer. But here's what I do know (and this is from my memory of enzymatic digestions, how pepsin works and the overall antibody structure).

Every antibody has 2 identical heavy chains and 2 identical light chains. Here is the very simplified structure (ignore the dots... they are just used for alignment):

[size=0.5]...[/size]||
// \\

Pepsin digests at the "hinge" region (between the || area and the slanted // \\ areas). It also digests the || (also called the Fc region).

IgG3, IgG2a and IgG1 are just subclasses of the antibody class IgG. All of these subsclasses have small differences in the amino acid sequences in the constant region of the heavy chains. Therefore, it is my guess that the rate of digestion is heavily dependent on these amino acid differences. Pepsin is a "promiscuous" protein, in that it cleaves other proteins somewhat non-specifically. However, it does prefer phenylalanine and glutamate. As such, it is possible that IgG3 and IgG2a have more of those amino acids in the constant region of the Fc portion of the heavy chain.

Of course, I thought that your comment is only true with regards to mouse antibodies. I do not think this is true with regards to human antibodies.

O.K., geek mode off. :p Not sure if I'm right or not, but this is the best I can do on a Sat. night at 1:10 a.m. - while I have friends e-mailing me telling me to come over to their house for some very late night drinks. LOL!

Last edited:
It's alright. I really didn't want to ponder that question anyway...lol. I don't know everything....honest! ;)

Melon

deep said:

But, does not what we call sound only exist because the crashing of the tree sends sound waves (tiny particles) that strike our eardrums causing them to vibrate, a la sound,

Remove our eardrums, well I think you see where I am going. The crashing of the tree is only half of the equation.

Not really. It depends what your definition of sound is. But the waves that our ears and brain convert into the sensation of sound, are there anyway.

So, if you got two persons standing in front of the tree, one wears huge earphones, so he can?t hear anything, but the other person is without earphones and can hear the tree crashing, the sound is there. If the person who can hear goes away, it would still be there.

Then, sound is not only felt with ears but can be felt with the body, too.

The perception of sound differs: Your perception may differ from mine, and before there is perception, the eardrum has to work, the cochlea has to work, the little hairs, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom