Is Melon really an Uber-Intellectual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

Brian Molko, the androgynous bisexual lead singer of "Placebo." Yes, he can really look like a girl if he wants to. :p

....and sing like one too. :sexywink: I've always thought he was kind of attractive in your avatar, though. :eek: :uhoh:

nbcrusader said:
What is your favorite Bible verse?

"He has made everything appropriate to its time, and has put the timeless into their hearts, without men's ever discovering, from beginning to end, the work which God has done." -- Eccl. 3:11

Melon

I have another one.

What do you think the most positive thing about humans are? We hear all the atrocities on the news, we hear people commiting themselves blindly to archaic or egocentric rules, forging wars, continuing repression,etc.. despite this, what do you think is mankind's most redeeming quality?

:)

Last edited:
Melon,

I think you too get turned on by data (Edge reference #2.)

I am glad I created this thread, I hope you are tired.

Brian Molko, the androgynous bisexual lead singer of "Placebo." Yes, he can really look like a girl if he wants to.

There was a point in time when the only song I would listen to was that popular one they made, "...a friend in need's a friend indeed, a friend with weed is better..."

total genius.

Here is the next question:

Do you agree with the city of San Francisco's decision to make it illegal to use a Segway Human Transporter on the sidewalk? If so why? Do you think this is a novel invention, or do you think it is a piece of trash?

curious,

oliveu2cm said:
I have another one.

What do you think the most positive thing about humans are? We hear all the atrocities on the news, we hear people commiting themselves blindly to archaic or egocentric rules, forging wars, continuing repression,etc.. despite this, what do you think is mankind's most redeeming quality?

:)

Our most redeeming quality is our curiosity, which drives us to learn more and more about the world around us, and to create bigger and better advanced things.

I have problems with people and/or institutions that try and label that as "evil." :|

Melon

ouizy said:
Do you agree with the city of San Francisco's decision to make it illegal to use a Segway Human Transporter on the sidewalk? If so why? Do you think this is a novel invention, or do you think it is a piece of trash?

Actually, yes, I do think it is a good idea to ban it on the sidewalks. These things travel at approximately 15 mph, which may not seem like much, but even a 25 mph collision is enough to kill someone, and the Segway travels much faster than the average pedestrian.

I don't particularly think the Segway, itself, is a novel invention; just the mechanism used to keep that thing balanced. I think that is where the benefit of this invention shall be.

Melon

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
do you think the United States Federal government should substantially increase mental health care?

NOTE: These opinions are just that: opinions; and have not been evaluated by the FDA or any other organization. I am not a doctor or psychiatrist, and these opinions are my own. People should not alter their medication on this advice, nor put it out of their mind completely, without speaking to your doctor first. In reading this, you agree that this is merely my opinion, and that you indemnify me of any liability or libel of any kind. If you do not agree to these terms, do not read this further. Your further reading of this passage implies consent to this disclosure.

This is a complex issue to me.

First off, I have deep problems with the two most common types of antidepressants right now--SSRIs and Wellbutrin (bupropion). As the traditional medical world is finally discovering (silently), both of these drugs work by altering the reuptake systems of serotonin and dopamine, respectively--but not both at once. "Reuptake," though, is the key word. If you aren't producing enough of the chemical to start with, all the reuptake inhibiting in the world isn't going to do a damn thing, and there is a portion of the mentally ill who fall into this category. So what happens? These are the "helpless."

These drugs, however, are terribly flawed. An SSRI will boost free serotonin levels--but at the expense of the dopamine levels. What happens? This is where the withdrawal symptoms come from when people try and quit SSRIs cold turkey, because dopamine is the chemical that controls addictions. It shouldn't be a shocker to anyone that Zyban, the anti-smoking prescription, is Wellbutrin repackaged under a different name to make it look like it isn't an antidepressant. I'm flat out shocked that the FDA is allowing this deception.

But what about Wellbutrin? It boosts dopamine at the expense of serotonin, and, since dopamine is the anti-addictive neurotransmitter, there are generally few withdrawal symptoms with this drug. However, for those on Wellbutrin for a while, a lack of serotonin will make you jittery and high strung, with the potential for muscle spasms and, yes, seizures. Hence why Wellbutrin effectively scared some doctors from prescribing it for patients, who may, in fact, need it.

In general, I think these drugs are overprescribed and dangerous. These are no different, to me, than the amphetamines of the 1970s that were also, supposedly, "safe" at the time, but were later made illegal.

But are there any alternatives? In all actuality, yes, there are. There are chemical compounds from natural sources that can do exactly what these drugs do, but better, faster, and with few to no side effects. But why aren't these being prescribed? Well, they are, somewhat, but not in the U.S. Germany, for instance, first prescribes St. John's Wort in over 90% of depression cases; Prozac only about 6% of the time. Compare that to the U.S., where Prozac is the leading prescription. What is different? The pharmaceutical industries, in essence, are little more than corporate drug pushers. If a pharmaceutical salesman is successful with a doctor, that doctor will suddenly prescribe that drug more often. Also, most HMOs also have a "preferred" antidepressant, negotiated with whatever pharmaceutical company that gives them the best price. One year, the "preferred" may be Prozac. The next, Paxil. The year afterwards, Celexa. You never know.

At the same time, however, there are people who truly do need and have successful treatment with these drugs, but the high failure rates and overprescription of these drugs cannot be ignored. We are a stressed out society that eats too much (and when it does eat, eats too many sugars) and exercises little. Don't you think this isn't going to affect your brain sooner or later? But rather than fix this problem, we just pop more pills.

What we need is not necessarily more money in mental health, but a whole new health care system.

Melon

daisybean said:
I have one other question:

Where did the Whortenses come from?

"Whortense" is a name that originated from deathbear. To show that the person behind "melon" could be capable of lightening up a bit, I created them.

Melon

Barokpaukje1.JPEG

Melon,

If you remove the streached skin from this drum

and strike in the open space, is there a sound ?

melon said:
"Planet Earth" in February 1981
:ohmy: that was their first single. their second was "careless memories," released in april 1981. i like it because the b-side is "khanada." :drool: :laugh:

but i have another, non-music related question. what is the point of a liberal arts college? aside from the stupid canned response where we need a full education, being exposed to stuff like philosophy and english.

ok, i have a few:

-what building in Boston has a terrific view of Fannuel Hall?

-what is Harvard famous for, besides the Yard?

and finally, where is the best shopping in the metropolitan area?

i accept various answers, but remember, Bono is a special part of Harvard, a fine ivy league leader in peace corp volunteers, and fine institutions of very important thinkers and decision-makers.

He, bono, may want you to take a picture of his true home, the economics department of that prime, priveledged and now exciting(!) academic establishment, the pearl of the ivory towers, there in the East U.S.

Yay, this is so enthralling, no? Go, melon! Go!

melon said:

The meaning of "everything"?

I guess this goes into the realm of opinion and not fact, but I think that God, indeed, did create everything and everyone out of love. Why to people have children? To pass on their knowledge for the future. In the same way, God created us to pass on His knowledge to us. Why is life difficult? Because, like our own children, we won't accept answers that are merely handed to us. We have to stumble on these answers ourselves, and, collectively, look where it has gotten us? We have a highly advanced civilization with war and violence (perhaps ironically enough) at its lowest level ever.

We are here to learn something, and that lesson is different for everyone. Relying on the past is what got us in this mess to begin with, and, as long as we continue to repeat history, whether by accident or through historicist romanticism, we will not learn that lesson.

Melon

Boah thats a fine answer.

You have impressed me.

Credit where credit is due.

I have a dumb question...the answer probably lies in your profile, which I can't access! Or it has been answered in the past.

Where do you go to school? And what do you study?

what is the meaning of political science? where's the science in politics?

Melon,

My elementary geometry question

a) In a triangle ABC, what is the condition (in terms of AZ, BX etc) that 3 lines AX, BY and CZ will meet at one and only one point K. Note that X lies on side BC of the triangle, similar for Y, Z.

b) Can you prove this condition ( answer to part a) indeed ensures that the lines AX, BY, CZ are concurrent ?

c) What is this theorem called ?

Thank you
AcrobatMan

I had no idea that Melon was the whoretenses :ohmy: :lmao:

Melon, what do you think I should do my history paper on? It has to be a historical question about anything before 1500 AD. I would like to do something relating to Ireland, but I'm also willing to do something else interesting. Any suggestions?

KhanadaRhodes said:

:ohmy: that was their first single. their second was "careless memories," released in april 1981. i like it because the b-side is "khanada." :drool: :laugh:

No...their first single was "Anyone Out There," a 1980 UK 7" indie release. :sexywink:

but i have another, non-music related question. what is the point of a liberal arts college? aside from the stupid canned response where we need a full education, being exposed to stuff like philosophy and english.

It's tradition, really, stretching back to the Roman Empire with Cicero, and getting influenced by other philosophers along the way.

http://www.conncoll.edu/academics/departments/italian/ProctorAnnapolisdeans.pdf

Here's a paper I found on the subject, which gets into the origins, history, and purpose of the "liberal arts" education. I think this paper can say it better than I can.

Melon

ILuvLarryMullen said:
Melon, what do you think I should do my history paper on? It has to be a historical question about anything before 1500 AD. I would like to do something relating to Ireland, but I'm also willing to do something else interesting. Any suggestions?

Hrm...considering I have an interest in how religion and politics went hand-in-hand--with politics often trumping religion, and religion merely being used as a control tactic--I would study the role of religion in feudal Europe, how things changed with the advent of the Bubonic Plague, and how it contributed to the Reformation.

:sexywink:

Melon

melon said:
No...their first single was "Anyone Out There," a 1980 UK 7" indie release. :sexywink:
well i wasn't counting that crap. :mad:

but good work for even knowing about that.
even if i know you didn't know it beforehand. :tongue:

thanks for answering my other question too...i still don't like it though. :down:

Back
Top Bottom