Is Melon really an Uber-Intellectual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
Who is buried in Elijah's tomb?

No one. Elijah is likely a fictional figure, created to give the dejected post-exilic Jewish people both a moral and literal history. By giving Elijah "prophetic" powers, he falls under the realm of mythic speech, painting anyone who questions it as treasonous / blasphemous. That is precisely what the post-exilic rulers of Israel wanted--unquestioning loyalty.

Melon

Elvis Presley said:
Why is there artifical flavor in lemon juice and real lemons in dishwasher detergent?

:|

Real lemon juice is too sour for most people and is so acidic that it can contribute to tooth decay (although it is good for liver detoxification). The artificial flavoring tones it down a bit, making it more tolerable for mass consumption.

However, it is a fantastic natural detergent, and we don't have to worry about tooth decay on our clothing, now do we?

Melon

daisybean said:
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?

It depends on the potency of your saliva, which is variable, depending on the person.

Melon

Lara Mullen said:
Melon what is your favourite era in History and Why?

The twentieth century and the present, actually, fascinate me the most, mostly because I enjoy how much history is romanticized and construed for personal gains.

I'm terribly curious as to what will happen next...

Melon

oliveu2cm said:
Melon why do you like U2? (it's the only thing I've never heard you talk about :sexywink: )

I like U2, mostly because I enjoyed the experimental qualities of the band, and that even includes 1980s U2. I mean, there are few bands whose 1980s work still sound relevant to today, don't you think?

Needless to say, ATYCLB bored me to tears, even though I can find enjoyment in the album.

Melon

melon said:

Real lemon juice is too sour for most people and is so acidic that it can contribute to tooth decay (although it is good for liver detoxification). The artificial flavoring tones it down a bit, making it more tolerable for mass consumption.

However, it is a fantastic natural detergent, and we don't have to worry about tooth decay on our clothing, now do we?

Melon

I am completely satisfied with this answer and pledge my allegiance to your service......:bow:

melon said:

No one. Elijah is likely a fictional figure, created to give the dejected post-exilic Jewish people both a moral and literal history. By giving Elijah "prophetic" powers, he falls under the realm of mythic speech, painting anyone who questions it as treasonous / blasphemous. That is precisely what the post-exilic rulers of Israel wanted--unquestioning loyalty.

Melon

Well, at least we agree on the first two words of your response. :wave:

ouizy said:
word

melon rocks the cerebellum...
yeah. even if he gets my questions wrong (
laugh.gif
) he's still quite possibly the smartest guy on the forums. :up:

kobayashi said:
what is the first equimarginal principle

The equimarginal principle tells us to maximize utility by selecting the highest values of good or services, giving marginal utility per dollar until our budget is used up.

Melon

joyfulgirl said:
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Probably none at all, considering a woodchuck eats grains, not wood. It would be a useless ability.

Melon

Giant Lemon said:
Melon, excuse my ignorance but who is your avatar (I've wondered that for a while)?

Brian Molko, the androgynous bisexual lead singer of "Placebo." Yes, he can really look like a girl if he wants to. :p

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

This question is egocentric at best, assuming that nothing happens if you aren't there to witness it personally. Considering that lots of things happen when we aren't there, why would sound be any different?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, it still transmits or "makes" a sound. There's just no one there to receive or "hear" the sound.

Melon

Re: in true fashion...

KhanadaRhodes said:
what was duran duran's second single? nick rhodes' real last name?

"Planet Earth" in February 1981 and his real last name is "Bates."

ooh and...who is your favourite band, excluding U2?

I would probably have to say "Orbital."

(Unless you are getting technical about a "band," and, at that point, it is "Oasis.")

Melon

Elvis said:
My question...

Why does my fish tank get so fecking dirty so fast?!

Because the fish are, essentially, excreting wastes in that tank of water. Imagine if we urinated and defecated in a swimming pool every day and only cleaned the pool and changed the water once a week?

Melon

Last edited:
meegannie said:
Why do the DC tax forms make NO sense?? :mad:

Tax forms are complicated, because they are created with the ability to evade taxes. If we merely had flat taxes and no ability to write off anything, taxes would be really damn simple, now wouldn't they?

But no one wants to pay taxes, and those who propose the flat tax are generally wealthy individuals. Note that Steve Forbes' flat tax proposal raised the tax rate for the poorest tax bracket and lowered the wealthiest tax bracket by more than half? I just laughed when he said we should only tax wages, not interest, because that would likely mean that Steve Forbes wouldn't pay taxes at all. Now isn't that the American Dream? To get wealthy and powerful enough to change the laws in your own favor?

You're better off with a complex tax system at this point, because no one in Congress will do any meaningful tax reform that won't hurt the working class--i.e., you. I would suggest doing your taxes online, because it is all explained in a far simpler fashion and all the figures are plugged in for you afterwards.

Melon

sulawesigirl4 said:
what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?

The meaning of "everything"?

I guess this goes into the realm of opinion and not fact, but I think that God, indeed, did create everything and everyone out of love. Why to people have children? To pass on their knowledge for the future. In the same way, God created us to pass on His knowledge to us. Why is life difficult? Because, like our own children, we won't accept answers that are merely handed to us. We have to stumble on these answers ourselves, and, collectively, look where it has gotten us? We have a highly advanced civilization with war and violence (perhaps ironically enough) at its lowest level ever.

We are here to learn something, and that lesson is different for everyone. Relying on the past is what got us in this mess to begin with, and, as long as we continue to repeat history, whether by accident or through historicist romanticism, we will not learn that lesson.

Melon

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Melon:

How many people do you manipulate?

Why not more? ;)

I manipulate no one. I am just very forthright on what I believe. No more intellectual ambiguity.

Why not more? Because I don't believe it to be right. Honesty will always prevail over deception.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom