Is Kanye West the greatest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Windmilllane

War Child
Is Kanye West the greatest artist of all-time?

It seems like he doesn't get enough publicity for someone who is perhaps bigger than Elvis, the Beatles, U2 and Jesus Christ.

He is good, but I don't think he is revolutionary, or even spectacular

no way is he the greatest, not even close, this shouldn't be a question

if he rattles of 10 more good albums then he can join the ranks

phhhhhhhfffffttttt................

are you retarded?
ofcourse hes the best
with his toothbrush

i think hes a crest kid

while this thread was obviously done in jest...

kanye is revolutionary... a hip hop artist with a real message and mass public appeal and a positive influence to boot.

is he the greatest of all time? of course not... he's had two albums. he's not even the greatest rapper of all time let alone artist. but don't sell him short... in a very short time this man has influenced his genre in a way that only a handfull of arists before him have.

Windmilllane said:
Is Kanye West the greatest artist of all-time?

It seems like he doesn't get enough publicity for someone who is perhaps bigger than Elvis, the Beatles, U2 and Jesus Christ.

If he is bigger than U2, why is he OPENING for U2?

larrysgal said:
Isn't Kanye the guy that thinks too highly of himself? Don't like his attitude too much.

Not that I'm supporting Kanye or anything, but I'd just like to point out that most musicians think too highly of themselves.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
kanye is revolutionary... a hip hop artist with a real message and mass public appeal and a positive influence to boot.

The point I was going to make is kinda linked to the above. There are dozens of hip hop acts that project a greater message than Kanye. Plenty that are more politicaly/socially aware and intelligent. Plenty that are positive. Plenty of better lyricists and rappers. But none have any real mass public appeal - not even close. On the flipside, those that do hog the public spotlight generally don't exactly have the positive image, or any real depth to their message or music at all.

Kanye is a fantastic mix that will hopefully act as a gateway to pop hip hop listeners who have been given a steady diet of shit for years. He's the point where a fan of the very commercially popular 50 Cent and a fan of the very intellectually astute Blackalicious can actually meet and agree.

If you think Kanye is hip hop at it's smartest, you are very wrong. If you think Kanye is the only rapper out there projecting a positive image, with some belief behind the lyrics, you are very wrong. Hopefully though he is appealing to those who thought those things didn't actually exist, simply because they'd never been exposed to it, and from there they'll dig deeper for more. If he can achieve anything it could be a move away from the gangsta shit that has dominated commercial hip hop for years now, and there are plenty of ridiculously talented, positive, intelligent hip hop acts out there creating great music, better than Kanyes, who haven't got the commercial clout to break through, but should and maybe could.

Earnie Shavers said:

If you think Kanye is the only rapper out there projecting a positive image, with some belief behind the lyrics, you are very wrong.

I think you missed the keep phrase that Headache used:

a hip hop artist with a real message and mass public appeal and a positive influence to boot.

Of course there are others. That can be said about every genre of music.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think you missed the keep phrase that Headache used:

Of course there are others. That can be said about every genre of music.

I think I didn't make my point very well then. It was meant to read as basically backing up what Headache said. Is Kanye the best out there? No. Is he the best thing to happen to commercial hip hop in a decade? Absolutely.

GibsonGirl said:

Not that I'm supporting Kanye or anything, but I'd just like to point out that most musicians think too highly of themselves.

He he, that's true. I must be mixing him up with someone else though. All these hip hop/rap artists look the same to me (and sound the same).

I think Kanye looks and sounds different than any other rap artist out there.

I also dont' find him that cocky.

Sincere and proud not afraid to speak his mind.

a lot like Bono :up:

it seems not many people caught that this thread was taking the piss . . .

but i'll bite. the guy's definitely an excellent producer and a decent mc. i thought the college dropout was a fine album, but late registration is disgustingly overrated. it's got 2 or 3 fantastic tracks and the rest is just pretty mediocore stuff that barely distinguishes itself from other currently popular hip-hop/r&b.

as for whether he's an egonmaniac asshole, no doubt about it. boasting & self-aggradizement (uh, spelling?) are pretty much standard to hip-hop. however, west comes off as an egomaniac both on and off the mic. every interview i've heard or read from this guy makes him seem like a complete asshole.

this will get worse, as late registration has come near the top of every critical poll and has moved serious units; such a combination of critical acclaim and popular appeal is rare. he'll also be taking home the best album grammy in february; all those middle-aged white grammy voters want to show how "with it" they are. if you thought this guy was insufferable before, just wait a few months.

that being said, yeah, i'll take him over 50 cent everyday. he's pretty intelligent, often witty, and fairly forward-thinking. he's even gone on record saying that *gasp* it's ACTUALLY OK to be gay! this no doubt also helps west's standing with critics; in hip hop, for every progressive act like outkast, there's 100 thuggish 50 cents. it's a sad commentary on the state of current popular hip-hop that an artist with (mostly) positive and open-minded views is such a rarity.

Back
Top Bottom