Is Kanye West the greatest? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 03:27 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

yea you really sound like an impartial rap enthusiast there. and if you're so upset about having to see "westie," why in the hell you call him that, then by all means, give your ticket to someone else so that you don't have to sit through the insuferable opening act.

it's very tough to have this debate with the close minded who think anything rap sucks... i would imagine it was sort of like how it was back in the 50s and 60s when parents would complain about rock and roll not being real music.

I don't have much time for Hip Hop, I honestly feel that it is a sub standard genre compared with Classical, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Techno/Trance and even Country. It is possible however that I could like some Hip Hop artists, like some of these lesser known Aussie artists such as the Hilltop Hoods and 1200 techniques, who seem much more revolutionary and ambitious than Westie...

Westie to me however, seems like just another 50 cent or Jay Z...

Bring back 2pac and Ginuwine...

(And I like the band who Westie is supporting more than I dislike Westie's music, so there's no chance I'm gonna sell my ticket, but rather, stand there with my thumbs pointed down and a bored look upon my face while Westie shows off his "creative" flair)

Old 01-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:45 PM
Ok....what is this thread??? Is this serious?

He's not even the greatest rapper of all time. Not even in the top 20 of all time.

HES HAD TWO ALBUMS!!!!

If Jay-Z comes out of retirement, kanye will be a distant second, if that. Did people forget about Nas?

btw, i did like his first two albums. didnt love them but they were good

Old 01-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RademR
Ok....what is this thread??? Is this serious?
no
Old 01-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Kanye is alright, but nothing special I think

on the list of rappers I know, I list Flava Flav above him

when you're listed below Flava Flav, there's a problem
flava flav doesn't even rap.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

(And I like the band who Westie is supporting more than I dislike Westie's music, so there's no chance I'm gonna sell my ticket, but rather, stand there with my thumbs pointed down and a bored look upon my face while Westie shows off his "creative" flair)
Do yourself a favor and at least go with an open mind. You might be suprised he puts on a good show.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Look, mate.

Bloody Dream Theater are coming to Singapore with their ridiculous seven minute guitar solos masquerading as musical entertainment.

Kanye at least writes actual songs. It could be worse. Most 'proper rock n' roll' bands these days are unbearably shite.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #52
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

flava flav doesn't even rap.
he still wins because he's Flava Flav
Old 01-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat

Do yourself a favor and at least go with an open mind. You might be suprised he puts on a good show.
What? A good show in which he stands around, poncing around the stage like he owns the place, blurting out "songs" that don't do a thing for me...

It's hard to go in with an open mind after hearing the sad excuse for a song "gold digger" being played on every radio station you tune into. Boring!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redkat

I didn't really care either way about West but then I saw him live and it was a really great show (didn't hurt that Bono came out before to introduce West).
Old 01-09-2006, 01:02 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:45 AM
The thread is half serious. It was started in sarcasm, but at some point about half the posts turned serious.

I think revolutionary is too strong a word, as he's not actually doing anything new. He's just a very good mix of a few very good things.

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

What? A good show in which he stands around, poncing around the stage like he owns the place, blurting out "songs" that don't do a thing for me...

It's hard to go in with an open mind after hearing the sad excuse for a song "gold digger" being played on every radio station you tune into. Boring!

Trade "Gold Digger" for "Vertigo" in the above post. Leave the rest the same. Catchy pop hit. Overplayed. Outspoken, some would say cocky/arrogant performer....

And yes, rock and it's retro-rehash love affair hasn't produced anywhere near the exciting music that has come from hip hop and it's closely related genre cousins so far this decade. I don't care if someone doesn't like Kanye West and doesn't really care for seeing/hearing him as a support act (just count your blessings - a lot of people got stuck with Keane, if you want to hear music with the creativity meter stuck firmly on zero...) but when you say you wanted to see an up and coming rock act, you come across as if you are writing off the hip hop genre, not the artist. But then you measure 'revolutionary' against acts like Hilltop Hoods and 1200 Techniques, who are both great in their way as fun little Australian acts, but are most definitely, most certainly, not doing a single thing that hasn't been done a thousand times over a long time ago.

Remember, it could have been Keane.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

And yes, rock and it's retro-rehash love affair hasn't produced anywhere near the exciting music that has come from hip hop and it's closely related genre cousins so far this decade. I don't care if someone doesn't like Kanye West and doesn't really care for seeing/hearing him as a support act (just count your blessings - a lot of people got stuck with Keane, if you want to hear music with the creativity meter stuck firmly on zero...) but when you say you wanted to see an up and coming rock act, you come across as if you are writing off the hip hop genre, not the artist. But then you measure 'revolutionary' against acts like Hilltop Hoods and 1200 Techniques, who are both great in their way as fun little Australian acts, but are most definitely, most certainly, not doing a single thing that hasn't been done a thousand times over a long time ago.

Remember, it could have been Keane.

I'd rather Keane than Kanye... I find Keane exciting, exhillarating and enchanting compared with the yawnworthy material Westie is churning out...

You reiterate the disgraceful sentiments that are frequently expressed by elitist music fans on this forum...

This same ol' idea that a band or an artist ONLY has credibility if they try and reinvent or redefine a genre....

It doesn't matter if the artist writes what is undeniably a cool little tune. It doesn't matter if they've slaved away in the studio for hours trying to write a song that is better than "Strawberry Fields Forever." Even if they achieved this goal, the music elite will knock 'em down immediately, and should this artist reap some kind of commercial success.....well, the artist is not worth mentioning are they? They are dismissed as irrelevant, or "sell outs".

How dare they make the music they want to make!
How dare they not write something as revolutionary as Revolver or Kid A!
How dare they not use the F-word in the song title!
How dare an artist have an idol!

If the above sentiments are what music is all about, than what happens to the sheer enjoyment of listening to and making music? Must every artist attempt to be the next Radiohead, Pink Floyd or Beatles? Or, quite preposterously, the next Kanye?

If Keane are enjoying making the music they want to make, and if they are enchanting the thousands of fans who have enjoyed their records, than surely they are relevant, and surely they are exciting to the many people who listen to them....

Just because an artist is not revolutionary or groundbreaking, does not mean they are not exciting....

I feel sorry for those who cannot listen to music for the sheer enjoyment of doing so, and also for thosebitter and twisted music "fans" who battle that inner demon that instills a sense of prejudice towards any artist who might simply be fulfilling their musical ambitions and enjoying it at the same time...
Old 01-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

If white dudes on a U2 board are debating whether he's "the greatest"... he's not the greatest.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

the new Rolling Stone

Old 01-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

he still wins because he's Flava Flav
point.

and today's useless fact that doesn't really matter but i'm gonna say it anyway, flava flav and previously mentioned dream theater are both from long island.

just more useless information to knock out some little morsal of useful knoweldge in your mind
Old 01-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #60
New Yorker

I may be out of the norm, but I can't stand Kanye West. I think he's an annoying little prick who has no reason to be that cocky. But that's just my opinion.