Is Kanye West the greatest? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

The point I was going to make is kinda linked to the above. There are dozens of hip hop acts that project a greater message than Kanye. Plenty that are more politicaly/socially aware and intelligent. Plenty that are positive. Plenty of better lyricists and rappers. But none have any real mass public appeal - not even close. On the flipside, those that do hog the public spotlight generally don't exactly have the positive image, or any real depth to their message or music at all.

Kanye is a fantastic mix that will hopefully act as a gateway to pop hip hop listeners who have been given a steady diet of shit for years. He's the point where a fan of the very commercially popular 50 Cent and a fan of the very intellectually astute Blackalicious can actually meet and agree.

If you think Kanye is hip hop at it's smartest, you are very wrong. If you think Kanye is the only rapper out there projecting a positive image, with some belief behind the lyrics, you are very wrong. Hopefully though he is appealing to those who thought those things didn't actually exist, simply because they'd never been exposed to it, and from there they'll dig deeper for more. If he can achieve anything it could be a move away from the gangsta shit that has dominated commercial hip hop for years now, and there are plenty of ridiculously talented, positive, intelligent hip hop acts out there creating great music, better than Kanyes, who haven't got the commercial clout to break through, but should and maybe could.
I think Kanye is great, but also overrated - but better him getting this kind of praise than Notorious B.I.G. with their lyrically brilliant "Nasty Girl"

cee-lo...

Old 01-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

I think Kanye is great, but also overrated - but better him getting this kind of praise than Notorious B.I.G. with their lyrically brilliant "Nasty Girl"

nigga please. biggie's corpse shits all over kanye.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
We're comparing this guy to Bono now?
why would we do something like that? young artist who apeals to a wide audience, and despite being in a genre that has turned into decadence with nothing but partying and bangin' chicks getting played on the radio actually writes songs about, God, religion, political beliefs? My word... he sounds nothing like U2 in the 80's, you're right.

people even think that he thinks to highly of himself, just like they did with bono.

if one can put aside, just for a moment, their complete dislike of all things rap and just look at this objectively, one can make a lot of comparisons between Kanye and a young Bono.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by love_u2_adam
rap = retards atempting poetry and thats my view!!!!
such an open minded, highly intelligent view you have there.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

while i like kanye i dont think he is as "revolutionary" as some people say *cough*headache*cough*

he isn't the first popular rapper to have a message, and his musical style isn't exactly something that hasn't been done before either

his style reminds me a lot of Jay-Z actually

so id say arrested development or public enemy's socially conscious lyrics + jay-z's style = kanye west

edit - ok with further research i see that kanye helped produce jay-z's blueprint, which is probably why the styles are similiar
Old 01-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

I like what I've heard from Kanye....but I can't contribute much here as I only know a couple of his tunes.

Did see him on Oprah last week and he was in a terrible car accident a few years back, complete w/ fractured jaw etc.

For my $, I go w/ Jay Z !
Old 01-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
If he can achieve anything it could be a move away from the gangsta shit that has dominated commercial hip hop for years now, and there are plenty of ridiculously talented, positive, intelligent hip hop acts out there creating great music, better than Kanyes, who haven't got the commercial clout to break through, but should and maybe could.
Honestly, I think the days of acts like Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff are long gone. (despite what everyone may think of them , might actually be "revolutionary" ) I'm not sure if commercial clout would be enought to break through today hip hop/urban culture being what it is.

edit: I don't claim to be an expert on culture here. I can only go off of what I'm exposed to by my profession.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

2 kw
Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
while i like kanye i dont think he is as "revolutionary" as some people say *cough*headache*cough*

he isn't the first popular rapper to have a message, and his musical style isn't exactly something that hasn't been done before either

his style reminds me a lot of Jay-Z actually

so id say arrested development or public enemy's socially conscious lyrics + jay-z's style = kanye west

edit - ok with further research i see that kanye helped produce jay-z's blueprint, which is probably why the styles are similiar
but ya see, that's why he is revolutionary in the rap world... the social message of public enemy, arrested development, grand master flash and the furious five, etc. etc. while having the overall mass appeal to fans of all genres, people of all races like a jay-z. i mean shit... It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back sold a million copies since it's release in 1988. Late Registration sold 900,000 copies in it's first week alone.

think about that

public enemy - it takes a nation of millions to hold us back... 1 million copies sold over 17 years.

kanye west- late registration... 900,000 copies sold over 7 days.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

but ya see, that's why he is revolutionary in the rap world... the social message of public enemy, arrested development, grand master flash and the furious five, etc. etc. while having the overall mass appeal to fans of all genres, people of all races like a jay-z. i mean shit... It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back sold a million copies since it's release in 1988. Late Registration sold 900,000 copies in it's first week alone.

think about that

public enemy - it takes a nation of millions to hold us back... 1 million copies sold over 17 years.

kanye west- late registration... 900,000 copies sold over 7 days.
but see arrested development had mass appeal. the group won a Grammy Award for Best Rap Album and Best New Artist, and were also Band of the Year by Rolling Stone magazine.

so i dont know, its been done. im not saying its not good, and a nice change of pace from the current scene, i just dont see it as anything super revolutionary.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
We're comparing this guy to Bono now?
Yes!

If Bono does so can I
Old 01-04-2006, 05:50 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

but see arrested development had mass appeal. the group won a Grammy Award for Best Rap Album and Best New Artist, and were also Band of the Year by Rolling Stone magazine.

so i dont know, its been done. im not saying its not good, and a nice change of pace from the current scene, i just dont see it as anything super revolutionary.
and after one album they were gone from the mainstream.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:16 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

kanye is revolutionary... a hip hop artist with a real message and mass public appeal and a positive influence to boot.

Is that it?

He's revolutionary only because he has a "real message" and a "positive influence" and is respected in many circles.

Is that all it takes to qualify some chap as revolutionary?

Going by that logic, it seems that almost every artist is revolutionary....

For christ's sake, Britney Spears is more revolutionary.... think about all the artists she has inspired....

Westie is just another rapper to me....

That he "raps" a positive message, doesn't make his music any more different from the rest of the Hip Hop out there...

I have to see this Westie bloke support U2 next year. I was hoping to see a decent up and coming rock and roll band support U2, but I'm gonna be standing there falling asleep while this "artist" is on stage....

Gold Digger shits me, and it sounds like the rest of the garbage out there....

Nothing against Hip Hop as a genre, but there is a lot of underground, progressive and obscure Hip Hop out there which is a LOT more revolutionary than the "music" Westie is churning out...

Westie just got lucky...
Old 01-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

Is that it?

He's revolutionary only because he has a "real message" and a "positive influence" and is respected in many circles.

Is that all it takes to qualify some chap as revolutionary?

Going by that logic, it seems that almost every artist is revolutionary....

For christ's sake, Britney Spears is more revolutionary.... think about all the artists she has inspired....

Westie is just another rapper to me....

That he "raps" a positive message, doesn't make his music any more different from the rest of the Hip Hop out there...

I have to see this Westie bloke support U2 next year. I was hoping to see a decent up and coming rock and roll band support U2, but I'm gonna be standing there falling asleep while this "artist" is on stage....

Gold Digger shits me, and it sounds like the rest of the garbage out there....

Nothing against Hip Hop as a genre, but there is a lot of underground, progressive and obscure Hip Hop out there which is a LOT more revolutionary than the "music" Westie is churning out...

Westie just got lucky...
yea you really sound like an impartial rap enthusiast there. and if you're so upset about having to see "westie," why in the hell you call him that, then by all means, give your ticket to someone else so that you don't have to sit through the insuferable opening act.

it's very tough to have this debate with the close minded who think anything rap sucks... i would imagine it was sort of like how it was back in the 50s and 60s when parents would complain about rock and roll not being real music.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #45
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Kanye is alright, but nothing special I think

on the list of rappers I know, I list Flava Flav above him

when you're listed below Flava Flav, there's a problem