Is it better to work with women or men? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Easier to work with
Men 30 63.83%
Women 17 36.17%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Would you rather we lie and say "oh yeah! In my experience working with and for women is just wonderful!!!" when in fact it more often than not sucked?
Yes. Lie. Lie lie lie.

In all seriousness, assholes aren't defined by gender--the same goes for awesomeness. I guess I'm just constantly amazed by our need to categorize and make sweeping generalizations. Kinda silly.

Edit: I'm one of those anal people.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:37 AM
well, you're right, i can't say for your experience because they are your own experiences.

i've had jerks and cool people i've worked with, for my personal experience, and there were some of each all over the gender spectrum.

but, i wouldn't say only women bring on the drama. at least in my experience.

i'm really sorry if you all thought i was invalidating your experiences, that wasn't my intention at all. i was more addressing the stereotypes being expressed.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

In all seriousness, assholes aren't defined by gender--the same goes for awesomeness.
Absolutely. I worked with a guy once who was the cattiest, nastiest, most backstabbing, trouble-making person-more "catty" than any female I've ever met. He caused so many problems for and with people that he eventually got fired. And I've had female bosses and coworkers who were excellent, and others who weren't. Same for male.

Guys can be just as catty, "whining", whatever-maybe most of them are just better at hiding it from others and at manipulating people and situations. When men do it, it's called aggressive. When women do it, it's "catty" or other things.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Anything business related or schoolwork related I prefer women. They seem to delegate better and get things done.

For any home improvement projects though I find it hard to work with a lady friend, unless I can magically find one of those carpenters from HGTV.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #35
The Fly

Local Time: 06:37 PM
I prefer working with women when they are in the same position in the organisation (status-wise) as me. I relate better to women, being female! But I have found that women in a higher position can be quite catty and condescending to someone younger and subordinate to them. Men are more laid-back and easy to get along with, in my experience, but I have never been as close to the men I've worked with as I've been to the women.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm most definitely not an expert in womens studies, but does anyone notice a trend that some women in management rolls tend to try and assert themselves in a masculine manner and end up overdoing it and coming off as bitchy/catty?

I've noticed a few other posts in this thread echoing that idea and I'm wondering if its a common occurrence. I don't blame them for it but it's interesting nonetheless.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I'm most definitely not an expert in womens studies, but does anyone notice a trend that some women in management rolls tend to try and assert themselves in a masculine manner and end up overdoing it and coming off as bitchy/catty?

I've noticed a few other posts in this thread echoing that idea and I'm wondering if its a common occurrence. I don't blame them for it but it's interesting nonetheless.
But are the women really "overdoing it" or is it a perception thing by other people more than anything? Are the male bosses and female bosses acting pretty much the same but the assertiveness of the women is being perceived as bitchiness because people still hold double standards for male and female behavior?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
I've always preferred working with men. Waaaaay less drama and crap.
Quote:
Even throwing in just a few men helps a lot. Working with ALL women not fun in my experience
Old 01-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades

...assertiveness of the women is being perceived as bitchiness because people still hold double standards for male and female behavior?
Quote:

...assertiveness of the women is being perceived as bitchiness because people still hold double standards for male and female behavior?
Quote:

George Bush, anyone? I love the way that man delegates, and helps create a fair and democratic world.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I've never noticed this, but I work for a college (so money/bottom line/quotas are not an issue) and it's a religious school (so there's a certain level of conduct expected and required) so maybe the environment is biased against it. Like I said before, I've only ever worked entirely with men and since I've never had any issues, I prefer it. It has more to do with the positive way I get along with men, than negative experiences with females (haven't really had this).

Other experiences I've had outside of work where women came off as bitchy and catty were because of their personality, not because they were trying to be like men Some women are just really bitchy and high-strung. I don't like working with them because that type of personality gets on my nerves. They are this way even in an all-female working environment; it has nothing to do with men.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
WAT?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #42
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:

In all seriousness, assholes aren't defined by gender--the same goes for awesomeness. I guess I'm just constantly amazed by our need to categorize and make sweeping generalizations. Kinda silly.

Well said!

I have learned in my work experiences to get in and get my job done and get the hell out. I don't like office politics. I don't like offce drama. I've worked with enough idiots of both genders!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Re: nobody reads this

Quote:
Originally posted by pepokiss
I prefer to work with women

in bed

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah I figured I'd garner a few s. Perhaps I should have used the term 'asshole' instead of the female-specific bitch, because a spade is a spade and I've had asshole managers regardless of gender.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I love stereotypes!
In case you haven't noticed, I AM a woman.

It's true, sorry. Nearly every time I try to contact a person, in person or on the phone, the woman is 'away from her desk' 80% of the time, the man, hardly ever. I wouldn't say it if it weren't true.