Is it bad for me to laugh at this story? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2004, 11:18 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
exactly. it's parents these days that create the psycho teens these days.
Wait a second...I really take offense to that.

As a parent of a teenager who has had her share of problems, I tired of parents getting the blame for everything. I've dealt with probation officers, judges, psychologists, guidance counselors, teachers...everyone of them has looked at me like Im a bad parent because my daughter was in trouble. I've had CPS show up at my door, because I physically restrained my 16 year old from walking out of the house at 11pm. Maybe next time I should just let her go...and have the police at my door saying she was in trouble, hurt, or God Forbid..worse. What these teens did was wrong...and should be charged with attempted manslaughter...at one point in their lives, comes a time when they have to realize there are consequences for their actions. /end rant

PS: That troubled teen of mine that I mentioned? With alot of guidance, tough love and communication on both sides...is starting college next year, majoring in psychology.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:37 AM   #17
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoBabe40

Wait a second...I really take offense to that.

As a parent of a teenager who has had her share of problems, I tired of parents getting the blame for everything. I've dealt with probation officers, judges, psychologists, guidance counselors, teachers...everyone of them has looked at me like Im a bad parent because my daughter was in trouble. I've had CPS show up at my door, because I physically restrained my 16 year old from walking out of the house at 11pm. Maybe next time I should just let her go...and have the police at my door saying she was in trouble, hurt, or God Forbid..worse. What these teens did was wrong...and should be charged with attempted manslaughter...at one point in their lives, comes a time when they have to realize there are consequences for their actions. /end rant

PS: That troubled teen of mine that I mentioned? With alot of guidance, tough love and communication on both sides...is starting college next year, majoring in psychology.
Thanks for saying that. It sounds like we have a lot in common.

As the mother/stepmother of 4 kids from 17 to 28 who have been in their share of trouble as teenagers, all I can say is walk a mile in my shoes...its not an easy job. Yes, some parents do deserve some blame for their screwed up kids but some of us try really hard to do the right things and our kids screw up in spite of it.

And yes, I do think these turkey tossing hooligans should be charged with attempted manslaughter.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #18
Refugee

Tough love...the hardest kind of love. There are consequences for our actions so hope that there are consequences for those teens.

As for the parents of troubled teens/young adults on this board, I really do have an admiration for you.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Thanks for saying that. It sounds like we have a lot in common.

As the mother/stepmother of 4 kids from 17 to 28 who have been in their share of trouble as teenagers, all I can say is walk a mile in my shoes...its not an easy job. Yes, some parents do deserve some blame for their screwed up kids but some of us try really hard to do the right things and our kids screw up in spite of it.

And yes, I do think these turkey tossing hooligans should be charged with attempted manslaughter.
No prob...Im just tired of society pointing the fingers at the parents when their kids screw up..I keep tellin my daughter..if you can find another place to live, where someone else is going to love you as much as we do...GO FOR IT.

She's still at home
Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 11:01 AM
I agree that parents often get a raw deal. Kudos to you parents who posted in defense.

But, as a teacher, I have to say that I agree to some degree with the opinion that parents help create the environment that is turning a lot of teenagers into thugs. You wouldn't believe how little cooperation the schools get from parents these days - it's amazing. To a near-majority of parents out there, the teacher is the enemy. The gap of support that exists between parents and educators is unacceptably huge.

I don't know what the solution is - I know that most parents try and succeed in raising good kids - but in many cases - especially ones that get public notoriety like the turkey incident - the parents get very defensive and refuse to acknowledge the dif between right and wrong when it comes to their kid.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by frozenmuze04
I agree that parents often get a raw deal. Kudos to you parents who posted in defense.

But, as a teacher, I have to say that I agree to some degree with the opinion that parents help create the environment that is turning a lot of teenagers into thugs. You wouldn't believe how little cooperation the schools get from parents these days - it's amazing. To a near-majority of parents out there, the teacher is the enemy. The gap of support that exists between parents and educators is unacceptably huge.

I don't know what the solution is - I know that most parents try and succeed in raising good kids - but in many cases - especially ones that get public notoriety like the turkey incident - the parents get very defensive and refuse to acknowledge the dif between right and wrong when it comes to their kid.

Just my two cents.

I agree with you there...a child only knows what he is taught by the parents. Unfortunately there are other influences out there that influence the child. All we can do as parents is teach them right from wrong, and hope it follows them into adulthood.

It's a tough job, but someone hasta do it
Old 11-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #22
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoBabe40

No prob...Im just tired of society pointing the fingers at the parents when their kids screw up..I keep tellin my daughter..if you can find another place to live, where someone else is going to love you as much as we do...GO FOR IT.

She's still at home

Our almost 20 year old who HATED us when he was 16 and couldn't wait to leave has now discovered that home isn't such a bad place. I think we're going to have to pry him out of his room with a crowbar to get him to move out!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:57 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 PM
That story isn't funny at all
Old 11-19-2004, 12:00 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:01 PM
If it was a frozen turkey, thats basically the same as throwing a 20lb boulder at someone's windshield...not too bright...probably Yankee fans.
Should have thrown mashed potatoes and stuffing instead.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:04 PM   #25
War Child

A little off topic...for those of you who are old enough to remember this show...

Wasn't there a WKRP In Cincinnati episode where they threw turkeys out of a plane...before they realized turkeys cant fly?

I think I just aged myself again...
Old 11-19-2004, 12:06 PM   #26
The Fly

Local Time: 11:01 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - omg -

That was one of the funniest episodes of a television show I've ever seen.

The great quote: "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

(In the show, they're going to send "flying" turkeys out from a radio station helicopter as gifts to poor families - the turkeys instead just plummet and it's live on the air. Twisted, but funny as hell.)
Old 11-19-2004, 12:07 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Mr. Carlson..."I thought for sure turkeys could fly"

Les Nessman's new report was hilarious..."The turkeys are plummeting to the earth"

OK so now I'm dated too.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:10 PM   #28
War Child

I loved that show..

Les Nessman...with his little bowtie...

Quick trivia question....who played Herb (I think that was his name) ? The one who was always lusting after Loni Anderson..
Old 11-19-2004, 12:12 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 01:01 PM
That was a funny show and that was one of the episodes that I always remember.

WKRP funny
Those kids in the story not funny
Old 11-19-2004, 12:19 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Our almost 20 year old who HATED us when he was 16 and couldn't wait to leave has now discovered that home isn't such a bad place. I think we're going to have to pry him out of his room with a crowbar to get him to move out!
Me, and my siblings get along really well with our parents. I always say that when my degree is over I'll get a job and would like to find a home. My Mum wants us to stay until we're married which may never happen and wants to build us a house in the back garden.

I don't want to leave home next year when I go to Spain either. I'm sad, I love being at home.