Is anyone watching The Next Great American Band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
It's an Idol-type show I sort of stumbled on by accident. I saw it advertised, assumed it'd be crap and had no plans to watch it, but the night it premiered, my tv just happened to be on that channel, and it caught my attention. I've seen maybe just over half the episodes so far. Each week they have the bands perform songs from a specific artist or band - some of the artists covered so far are Billy Joel, The Stones, Dylan and Elton John. Follows the same format as Idol, they perform then get critiqued by the judges (Johnny Reznik, Sheila E and Dickie someone from an Aussie show, I think?), and then the viewers vote. There have been a wide variety of genres represented amongst the contestants, including rock/metal (a band of childhood to adolescent brothers), brit pop, pop-punk, country, contemporary christian-jazz, and bluegrass-roots.

Surprisingly, the band who has grabbed my attention the most is the bluegrass band, The Clark Brothers. Wow, they can rock out. Very intense. They've left me with chills more than once. I can't see them winning, they're more of a niche band, but I always look forward to hearing what they're gonna do with the covers.

Clark Brothers performing Dylan's Maggie's Farm and an original

Clark Brothers performing The Stones' Gimme Shelter

I saw this being promoted a while back (maybe early fall?), and thought it might be interesting. I haven't seen it advertised or on TV since then.

Maybe I should look it up and see if I can find episodes online or something. :hmm:

:reject:

I'm watching. Looove the Clark Brothers.

I like that this show has focused more on constructive criticism and good musicianship, where on American Idol, clever putdowns seem to have become the norm. In other words, less cheese, more filling. :wink:

I have watched a few episodes of this show. I really don't like country music but the Clark Brothers are FANTASTIC. Wow. It will be a true shame if they don't end up winning. I would buy thier CD for sure.

Clark Brothers fans unite! :hi5:

:wink:

I generally don't like much country either, and what I do like is more old school, Johnny, of course, Hank Sr., Willie and Waylon, Patsy Cline, Loretta and Dolly. I'm more of a rock fan, but as a rule, I can find at least a couple of exceptions in each genre that I find enjoyable. I don't care what the Clark Brothers play, they have hard core, intense, driving rock in their souls. :drool:

Other than them, the other bands have been hit and miss for me. I think that country band is the most polished and professional, but they're mostly bland to me. Dot Dot Dot and Tres Bien, they've had okay moments, but there's really not that much memorable about them to me. The Doom kids are cute and make me want to root for them just because, well, they're kids who rock! But they have a ways to go before they're ready for the big leagues, I think.

This week is Rod Stewart week. I wonder what The Clark Bros will be doing. :hmm:

Sheila E tonight - :uhoh:

I really liked it too, but wow.

Queen next week. That should be interesting. And when I say interesting, I mean in that train-wrecky way. Although I do believe The Clarks will find a way to pull it off, somehow. There's been speculation on other boards that the week after will be Bowie, because someone at the taping said the host muffed the Queen announcement at the end a couple of times by saying Bowie instead of Queen, and that they had to reshoot it.

Last edited:
i watched some shows. the "judges" seem to be mimicking the american idol judges personas. clark bros. are great tho.

BonoFox1 said:
The CLARK BROTHERS WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!":yippie:

I saw. I was kinda wishing SixWire would win, because of the dreck that 19E are known for putting out. I hope they don't water down the Clarks too much. They seemed really happy, though. :up:

vaz, I thought they did an amazing job of it, but I happen to like the sounds of traditional/roots/bluegrass instruments, and I like the passion they instill into the covers they perform.

Back
Top Bottom