Is a low IQ a prerequisite to work at Ticketmaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
A couple of weeks ago, I got Radiohead tickets.

The ticket limit was 4. I got 4 tickets, and my mother got 1 for my cousin.

When it came time to go pick them up at Ticketmaster, the employee is printing them out and he says to me, "One of these might be cancelled because the ticket limit is 4." Clearly to that I replied that it was 4 tickets per person, and he then says to me, yes, and you bought 5.

Now, call me crazy, but since when are my mother and I the same person? I calmly explain that to him, and he then says, oh, but it's on the same credit card. I kindly pointed out to him that no, I in fact had used AmEx whereas her sole ticket was on her VISA. He then says "But all the credit cards are connected."

Is he insane?

Then I told him that I had already been billed for the tickets, so how could one be cancelled. And he says, "Oh, but sometimes they don't cancel tickets right away, but weeks later." Yeah, because the credit company will just charge you whenever they feel like. :no:

Einstein was right. There are no limits to human stupidity.

They have an automated system. It is only 1/4 as stupid as the phone representatives. It is actually a breath of fresh air. It made ticket buying enjoyable - minus the fees that equal to about 36% of the ticket cost.

don't know whether a low IQ is a prerequisite, but it does seem to be a bonus in life in general

In response to your subject line... yes. (maybe i should be glad they never hired me at sunrise)

when i was lining up to get radiohead tickets the guy, who's worked there for yeeears, says, with a completely straight face "the service charge is probably about $2".

riiiiight.

maybe we'll see each other at the show, though ;) i'm on the lawn.

i used to work for ticketmaster the corporation and for a record store that provided the service.

there's a difference between those two. im sorry that you got screwed, but don't go telling me that ticketmaster employees have lower iq's.

Last edited:
I can tell ya whatever I want!

Whether or not I'm obviously wrong is another matter entirely ;)

Sorry if I offended. it's just that guy at sunrise is my arch-nemesis for several reasons.

I have worked with the Ticketmaster computer system selling tickets. It is a nightmare.

You all remember the Texas Instrument Tandy 2000? Or the early IBM PCs - black background and green type (DOS)? Yup. State of the art! Warpspeed into the 80's.

I always have to buy mine at Foley's, which is the closest Ticketmaster outlet. The same employees staff it that do the gift wrapping, which means flustered, angry old ladies. They don't want to be doing it, so they will just take your credit card and sell you the first ticket that pops up. :angry:

And if you get mad, they'll give you a lengthy explanation of how the "rules" don't allow you to pick your seat because the concert is in such demand, it's first come, first serve. It's always a load of crap because they don't want to undo the sale, they just want to get rid of the dirty music fan.

Once and awhile you get a really nice clerk who will actually give you the time to pick your seats. :up:

SkeeK said:
maybe we'll see each other at the show, though ;) i'm on the lawn.

I am in the 7th row behind the GA pit. :wink:

Do you know anybody looking for tickets still? I may have extras.

i possibly do, yes. although depending on where they are, i might want to upgrade :wink:

damn you and your good seating

AvsGirl41 said:
I always have to buy mine at Foley's, which is the closest Ticketmaster outlet. The same employees staff it that do the gift wrapping, which means flustered, angry old ladies. They don't want to be doing it, so they will just take your credit card and sell you the first ticket that pops up. :angry:

And if you get mad, they'll give you a lengthy explanation of how the "rules" don't allow you to pick your seat because the concert is in such demand, it's first come, first serve. It's always a load of crap because they don't want to undo the sale, they just want to get rid of the dirty music fan.

Once and awhile you get a really nice clerk who will actually give you the time to pick your seats. :up:

Actually, if you are there for an "on-sale" - this is the only way to go. It has nothing to do with "getting rid of the dirty music fans."

It pulls up the best available seat when you first walk up. The longer you wait, the less choice you have. Nevermind the people you are screwing behind you in line while you try to get a specific section. They might not even get a chance at seeing the show or sporting event if you take any longer selecting a seat. :shrug:

haha...i feel like im getting insulted left and right. now its common sense.

yeah, but you are not ticketmaster. I'm sure the criticisms have nothing to do with the quality of you as a person. :)

zonelistener said:

Actually, if you are there for an "on-sale" - this is the only way to go. It has nothing to do with "getting rid of the dirty music fans."

It pulls up the best available seat when you first walk up. The longer you wait, the less choice you have. Nevermind the people you are screwing behind you in line while you try to get a specific section. They might not even get a chance at seeing the show or sporting event if you take any longer selecting a seat. :shrug:

I *know* that--and I happen to know that the concerts I have purchased tickets for at this outlet were not "on-sale." There's no line, there's no one else buying tickets for it but me and they simply don't want to deal with ticket buyers.

The "biggest" tickets I have probably bought there were for a Matchbox Twenty show--five people in line, and they made us wait outside, took our credit cards and came back with tickets. They hadn't bothered to ask if we wanted reserved or general admission and when we tried to get the reserved, it immediately became "a problem" and we gave up and left. This *is* not wanting to deal with ticket buyers and trying to get rid of them as quickly as possible. One guy was on his cellphone to Ticketmaster and instantly got better tickets than we had just received--despite the supposed "rush" the Foley's people claimed prevented them from selling us what we wanted. There's simply no excuse for that kind of service.

The one show that did apply for was U2--which I went to the Pepsi Center to buy, because I didnt *want* to deal with the Foley's people. I was one of very few people in line who had the decency *not* to stand there fussing over seats told them to just give me whatever--and the computer pulled up amazing seats for me.

So, I really don't need to be lectured on ticket buying, or be lumped into the "rude ticket buyer" catagory, thank you.

I am not sure who is lecturing here - and I don't think I directly put anyone in a "rude ticket buyer" category. Tone down on the attitude.

The "rules" that the Foleys (not sure what Foleys is...is it a local department store or grocery store?) gift wrappers (they sound like the suck) are rules for on-sales (to assure as many people get tickets quickly). And that's why I pointed out what I pointed out. Nothing in your post specified "they went on sale that day" or whatever.

I would say stop using Foleys for ticketmaster. Quick note...in order to get my Coldplay/Red Rocks tickets, I called Idaho ticketmaster...got right through, anf got pretty decent seats - in the price area I wanted.

What I HATE about Ticketmaster is the friggin fees they tack onto already expensive tickets. And that is where the root of all the hate comes from. It is an absolute rip off. Buy your tickets at the venue, if you can!!!!!

I recently paid $14 for various Ticketmaster fees on top of a $58 ticket. That's simply outrageous. I wish Pearl Jam would have gotten their way back when they lead their war against Ticketmaster.

Maybe the title of the thread was poorly worded, so I apologize.

However, the Ticketmaster stories are notorious, they aren't known as TicketBastard for nothing. I never, ever line up in person, because I don't trust them at all when it comes to random draws, and besides some of them are so slow that by the time the 4th person in line is served, all you've got left are nosebleeds, if that.

I'm not even going to get into the inadequacy of their online servers.

In the old days, when Sears was the only place that had TicketBastard, there were sales people that only worked in the TM booth, so they knew what the hell they were doing. But, sure as shit, you'd be waiting in line, been there since 4 am, and some twit in front of you was getting fucking camping reservations!

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, he'd been there since 3:30 am to get the best camping reservations there first day they were available. And for some reason, camping reservations took forfuckingever to make. So you'd wait, thinking about how much higher up you were going to have to sit because this guy wanted to commune with nature and 2500 of his best camping buddies. :tsk:

One time, though, and I still want to light a candle for her, the TM woman knew what was happening, and while she was showing the camping idiot what was available, she was pulling tickets for the concert out of the machine in bundles, just so we'd actually get some tickets.

I don't remember what concert that was.

Anyway, there's my TicketBastard ramble.

I buy mine online. I won't deal with the TicketBastard people.

Melon

The problem has always been the damn monopoly. They should liberalize competition and the service would be so much better. I still do not know why no one is actually passing a law encouraging new ticket companies to start doing business and directly compete with Ticketmaster...

As long as Ticketmaster is pretty much the only one in business, service will still suck.

U2@NYC said:
The problem has always been the damn monopoly. They should liberalize competition and the service would be so much better. I still do not know why no one is actually passing a law encouraging new ticket companies to start doing business and directly compete with Ticketmaster...

As long as Ticketmaster is pretty much the only one in business, service will still suck.
replace ticketmaster with time warner (as in the cable company, not just the whole empire, which is a whole other can of worms) and you have a bitchfest of a thread i could start, just on my experiences in the past two weeks.

Their idea of "competition" are ticket brokers, who probably make back-handed deals with TicketBastard. That's why it seems like our concerts always sell out so quickly, while the brokers have more than enough overpriced tickets to sell us! :|

Fuck them...

Melon

Back
Top Bottom