Iron Knob, South Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I did actually just defend U2 re: their covers!
Ye gods! I get to work on time, and Ax defends U2 TWICE in one night, all in the same week...

IT'S THE END TIMES!!! :uhoh: :ohmy: *flails*

Clockface timetables aren't that hard to memorise. But no, I don't have any timetables seriously memorised. My uncle does, though ...

If that's the same one who's the mad U2 fan, I can forgive him. Otherwise.... :yikes:

From my work? Was that along Flinders st, then?

Niiice. :up: And I might have been able to see it, if I wedged myself in the corner where all the managers sit and peered over the balcony...

Actually, you're on the wrong corner, damn. It was wedged between Flinders Street and the railway viaduct from Spencer to King Street. I thought it went further but I was just looking at the plan and it stops at King (kind of pissed the plan's really detailed, because that means when I reduce it to a size suitable for the booklet, it's just totally illegible and useless).

Though you're just about on the bloody site of the Western Market!

Axver officially knows too much about extinct Melbourne markets, now.

:wink:

I'm going to wash dishes, by hand, at this time of night. Just because I don't want to have to do them tomorrow before I cook. :madspit:
May or may not be back afterwards...
*dons rubber gloves and mp3 player*

Ye gods! I get to work on time, and Ax defends U2 TWICE in one night, all in the same week...

IT'S THE END TIMES!!! :uhoh: :ohmy: *flails*

:lmao:

Don't worry, you won't be getting to work on time too much next week.

If that's the same one who's the mad U2 fan, I can forgive him. Otherwise.... :yikes:

Heh, this is actually a different uncle, but he has an excuse. He's mildly mentally disabled, I forget what his actual condition is, but he just doesn't function normally. Thanks to really good education as a child, he probably just seems eccentric to most people rather than mentally disabled. For example, he has an astonishingly good memory, so he'll memorise anything in front of him - if you want to know plane itineraries or train timetables or how long it took for John Smith to run the Kapiti Coast marathon in 1989, he's the guy to ask.

He also speaks in a Yorkshire accent despite having never visited England ...

So tomorrow I'm driving down to Philip Island for a camp, and I'm going to go buy the latest version of the Unforgettable Fire (the dreaded Coldplay album) to listen on the way down. Wish me luck!

(and note how I used "luck" - an inherently non-Christian word)

Sup y'all? Won't be around for long, but just dropped in to see how things were.

Ooh, you showed up! I had a question for you earlier.

I'm doing my markets bibliography right now, and I know some Asian names can be a bit funky with the "first" name being the family name and stuff. So, I have a book by a Siu Ling Hui. Should I enter this into my bibliography as "Hui, Siu Ling" as I would with an English name, or do you know if another form would be correct?

Ooh, you showed up! I had a question for you earlier.

I'm doing my markets bibliography right now, and I know some Asian names can be a bit funky with the "first" name being the family name and stuff. So, I have a book by a Siu Ling Hui. Should I enter this into my bibliography as "Hui, Siu Ling" as I would with an English name, or do you know if another form would be correct?

Oooh that's a tough one. Where was the book written / published?

Hui sound like a surname, and likewise Siu Ling sounds more like a first name, which would fit Asian naming schemes nicely, but Siu could also be a surname.

So tomorrow I'm driving down to Philip Island for a camp, and I'm going to go buy the latest version of the Unforgettable Fire (the dreaded Coldplay album) to listen on the way down. Wish me luck!

WHY. WHYYYY.

WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE REAL UNFORGETTABLE FIRE.

(and note how I used "luck" - an inherently non-Christian word)

In that case, I better wish you God's blessings or something.

Oooh that's a tough one. Where was the book written / published?

Hui sound like a surname, and likewise Siu Ling sounds more like a first name, which would fit Asian naming schemes nicely, but Siu could also be a surname.

It's a book on the Queen Vic Market, published in Kent Town, SA (yeah, why the hell not in Victoria?). So do you think that might make the chances likely that it would adhere to English naming conventions?

WHY. WHYYYY.

WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE REAL UNFORGETTABLE FIRE.

In that case, I better wish you God's blessings or something.

:lol:

I actually like Viva La Vida. I think Violet Hill is a pile of crap, but I'll see how the rest of the album goes. I'll give it a proper, thorough, honest review on here once I get back.

So, I'm the only person here who hasn't been to Philip Island?

They really need to build a railway down to there or something. Not because I'm a railfan. Just so I could get there.

It's a book on the Queen Vic Market, published in Kent Town, SA (yeah, why the hell not in Victoria?). So do you think that might make the chances likely that it would adhere to English naming conventions?

Yep. That's an odd name really, it just doesn't fit into Asian terms easily.

I wouldn't mind listening to Viva La Vida to see how hard they try to sound different.

Wait, trying too hard to sound different - that's what every critically acclaimed rock group is like these days, yes?* Coldplay have the recipe for triumph!

*I think I can say this in the current company.

:lol:

I actually like Viva La Vida. I think Violet Hill is a pile of crap, but I'll see how the rest of the album goes. I'll give it a proper, thorough, honest review on here once I get back.

I haven't heard a note of the album, and quite honestly, don't intend to. I really have no desire to hear Chris Martin ruin a bunch of Eno soundscapes that he pulled out of his rejects drawer for them because they couldn't come up with anything worthwhile themselves.

I wouldn't mind listening to Viva La Vida to see how hard they try to sound different.

Wait, trying too hard to sound different - that's what every critically acclaimed rock group is like these days, yes?* Coldplay have the recipe for triumph!

:lmao:

I haven't heard a note of the album, and quite honestly, don't intend to. I really have no desire to hear Chris Martin ruin a bunch of Eno soundscapes that he pulled out of his rejects drawer for them because they couldn't come up with anything worthwhile themselves.

Ahh well. I'll put up an honest review of it anyway.

So, I'm the only person here who hasn't been to Philip Island?

They really need to build a railway down to there or something. Not because I'm a railfan. Just so I could get there.

Sometimes I get Philip Island confused with a small island off the coast of Victor Harbour, which is some way south of Adelaide. That island is connected to a track used by carriages pulled by horses. I thought Philip Island was the same for a minute. I just remember penguins being there.

Oh god no. DON'T YOU EVEN SUGGEST THIS.

I now have visions of indie hipsters writing pretentious 3,000 word defences of Coldplay. My skin is crawling.

Sometimes I get Philip Island confused with a small island off the coast of Victor Harbour, which is some way south of Adelaide. That island is connected to a track used by carriages pulled by horses. I thought Philip Island was the same for a minute. I just remember penguins being there.

Oooh, I'm familiar with that horse-drawn tram. I totally need to go on that sometime. I would say that it's definitive proof that SA really is still stuck in the 19th century, but the absence of a regional passenger rail network of any kind makes me realise you guys have at least made it to the latter half of the 20th century. :(

Victor-Harbour-horse.JPG

Wooo!

Philip Island is cool, up to the point you realise it's freezing down there.

The only thing it has going for it is good fish and chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom