Irish literature/books/authors - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tennispunk

You might also check out "Proved Innocent" (published later as "In the Name of the Father") by Gerry Conlon, about how he was tried by a Diplock court and imprisoned for years for a crime he didn't commit. Also a fantastic movie starring Daniel Day-Lewis (which Bono & Gavin Friday wrote music for, incidentally)
That book is excellent. I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I totally recommend it.

I also forgot to add "Rebel Hearts: Journeys within the IRA soul" by Kevin Toolis. It's a very interesting and well documented book.

This is an editorial review for the book:

From Library Journal
A journalist who has reported on the Irish Republican Army in Ulster for many years, Toolis here draws together many facets of militant IRA republicanism. Weaving together the history of the troubles in Northern Ireland with the stories of families and individuals, he looks into the "rebel hearts"of these partisans and offers reasons for their joining the IRA. His portraits of brothers Dermot and Martin Finucane, Chieftain Martin McGuinness, and informer Patty Flood are compelling. But no less important is the historical detail of a quarter-century of violence, reprisal, loss, and sadness. Toolis offers measured and heartfelt judgment on?but does not condemn?the hypocrisy, callousness, and stupidity of the Ulster police, paramilitary, and ideologues. Recommended to general readers for the fullness of detail and content but also to more sophisticated readers for the author's insights.?Richard B. Finnegan, Stonehill Coll., North Easton, Mass.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:51 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Niamh_Saoirse

That book is excellent. I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I totally recommend it.

I also forgot to add "Rebel Hearts: Journeys within the IRA soul" by Kevin Toolis. It's a very interesting and well documented book.
I wonder if that's the one my friend recommended to me...
The title sounds so similar! I'm going to have to track her down and ask.

I realized my review of the Michael Collins book sounded a bit sappy--it's actually a well-researched biography, but it really captures the emotion and danger of the times.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #18
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:36 AM
this is a great thread. I've wanted to read some Irish literature for a long time. I have a degree in English Lit and we barely read anything by James Joyce let alone anyone else Irish. I've been really interested in finding some Irish Lit but didn't know where to look.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #19
Acrobat

Location: Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad school
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Oh yes!!
"Rebel Hearts" was the first Irish history book I ever read....and now I'm heading towards a phd in Irish history. Anyway, this is a good one for people not all that versed in the dealings of the IRA because it's very journalistic.

I also really like to read Gerry Adams' work...."Before the Dawn," "Cage 11," and his latest, "A Farther Shore" are all fascinating reads. I'd say that you probably need to read a general Irish history book before you can get the full effect of those, though....maybe "The Troubles" by TP Coogan, although his writing is pretty dry, it's very informative. He used to be the editor of the Irish Times.

And back to literature, there's a book called "The Year of the French" by Thomas Flanagan, which is historical fiction about the 1798 rising. Complex, brilliantly written book.

Quote:

Old 12-06-2004, 05:30 PM   #20
Acrobat

Quote:
Frank McCourt: Angela's Ashes

I read this a few years back when I was in high school. It's was very good!!
Old 12-06-2004, 05:57 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Try Colm Toibin's The Master, a fictionalized portrait of Henry James. Toibin is one of Irelands hottest, hippest young writers. It was a finalist for the Booker Prize this year, one of the most prestigious literary awards in the world for contemporary fiction.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:57 PM   #22
She's the One

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Oh lord. It's not written like Henry James, is it?

I'm working through A Pocket History of the IRA by Brendan O'Brien. Now that report cards are over, I'll probably actuallt egt through it soon. I bought a Roddy Doyle book when folks first started responding to this thread when it was in the other forum. It's the Barrytown Trilogy, with The Commitments, The Snapper, and The Van.

Maybe I'll print this thread out.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:07 PM   #23
Acrobat

Location: Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad school
Local Time: 06:36 AM
oh holy shit....
The Commitments and the Snapper are two of the more hilarious movies I've ever seen.

"Say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud!"

I haven't read the books though. I've got to re-read Ed Moloney's (very Orange) book "A Secret History of the IRA" and a tome by Coogan over the next couple weeks, but maybe I'll be able to make time to read some Doyle.

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I'm working through A Pocket History of the IRA by Brendan O'Brien. Now that report cards are over, I'll probably actuallt egt through it soon. I bought a Roddy Doyle book when folks first started responding to this thread when it was in the other forum. It's the Barrytown Trilogy, with The Commitments, The Snapper, and The Van.

Maybe I'll print this thread out.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:05 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

No!

from The New York Times
The Passion of Henry James
By DANIEL MENDELSOHN
June 20, 2004

Quote:
...'The Master.'' (The title refers to the nickname that the rather overpoweringly impressive and oracular James acquired from a reverential younger generation; it should be said at the outset that Toibin's novel, with its crisp, almost tactile scene-setting, is anything but overpowering or heavy in the way many people think James's work is.).

...Whatever Toibin's literary-critical and ideological interest in James, ''The Master'' is unquestionably the work of a first-rate novelist -- one who has for the past decade been writing excellent novels about people cut off from their feelings or families or both.
and so on.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:36 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:36 PM
I've read two of Mr. Toibin's earlier books ('The Blackwater Lightship' and his first novel of which I cannot recall the title) and have found them interesting, engaging reads.

I must remember to get hold of 'The Master'.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:27 AM   #26
She's the One

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

No!

Then maybe I'll check it out.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:39 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
I've read two of Mr. Toibin's earlier books ('The Blackwater Lightship' and his first novel of which I cannot recall the title) and have found them interesting, engaging reads.

I must remember to get hold of 'The Master'.
I liked Blackwater Lightship as well.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

"Proved Innocent" is a very good book. Much better than the (excellent) film version, "In the Name of the Father"
Old 12-07-2004, 04:33 PM   #29
New Yorker

I like:

WB Yeats
Eilis Ni Dhuibhne
Seamus Heaney
Patrick Kavanagh
JM Synge
Oscar Wilde