Irish Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelaVox21

The Fly
Hey! Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I was just wondering if anybody knew what Boxty was. My friend and I had some when we went to Ireland last summer and I was curious to know if it's possible to get some in New York City... or is it just an Irish specialty that u can't get anywhere else... like Red Lemonade! Oh, I miss Ireland! :drool:

BelaVox21 said:
Hey! Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I was just wondering if anybody knew what Boxty was. My friend and I had some when we went to Ireland last summer and I was curious to know if it's possible to get some in New York City... or is it just an Irish specialty that u can't get anywhere else... like Red Lemonade! Oh, I miss Ireland! :drool:

If I remember right, it's bacon & cabbage fried together & then placed on a potato pancake that's folded over & served omelette-style.

ETA: This is what happens when you only read the first sentence of a post. :reject: I can see now that of course you know what the stuff is - you've eaten it before!!! What's the lesson here, kids? Read the entire post before you spout off with a reply & save yourself the embarrassment of looking like an eejit. :banghead: :der:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Irish Food

BluRmGrl said:

If I remember right, it's bacon & cabbage fried together & then placed on a potato pancake that's folded over & served omelette-style.

Boxty is just the spud/mashed spud/egg pancake thing. You could have a seafood boxty if you fancied it, or with apple sauce, or with an Ulster fry...

:)

I would guess Irish restaurants/pubs in NYC would have them. There's one in Seattle that has them on the menu.

BluRmGrl said:

ETA: This is what happens when you only read the first sentence of a post. :reject: I can see now that of course you know what the stuff is - you've eaten it before!!! What's the lesson here, kids? Read the entire post before you spout off with a reply & save yourself the embarrassment of looking like an eejit. :banghead: :der:

Well, I didn't know what it was and I'm sure I couldn't have been the only one.

Speaking of not knowing things, just what is red lemonade?

Re: Re: Re: Irish Food

ylimeU2 said:

just what is red lemonade?

It's something fabulous :drool:

There isn't anything like it in NA that I can think of. It's a soda/pop, but I can't think of anything that might taste like it. I like Taylor Kieth red & white lemonades, and I love a Southy & Red :drool:

I have a bottle of Red in my fridge right now - It's flat as hell as I'm letting myself have it in small amounts to try and make it last :reject:

BelaVox21 said:

There is a neighborhood in The Bronx called "Woodlawn" that is all Irish. Some recently come to the US, some that are 2nd or 3rd generation, but it's all Irish. There are a few Irish bakeries and restaurants in the neighborhood, and one of them will have what you're looking for.

We have orange too :drool: Different from the lemonades but also a pop. :drool:

Someone does a lovely one with bits of orange in it ...I'll see if I can remember who...I want all of these RIGHT NOW!!!

No spoken words said:

There is a neighborhood in The Bronx called "Woodlawn" that is all Irish. Some recently come to the US, some that are 2nd or 3rd generation, but it's all Irish. There are a few Irish bakeries and restaurants in the neighborhood, and one of them will have what you're looking for.

Thanks! I think I'll check that out. I can always rely on getting my questions answered by you guys. Thanks much! :hug:

And yes, Red Lemonade is very yummy. It's too bad you can't find it anywhere else! :drool:

Re: Re: Re: Irish Food

ylimeU2 said:

Well, I didn't know what it was and I'm sure I couldn't have been the only one.

Speaking of not knowing things, just what is red lemonade?

it's clear lemonade with red cordial or some such other added. also known as fire engines. they're not uniquely irish.

UberBeaver said:
Do you know what orange Scottish soda type beverage it? I drank it once like 15 years ago and I think it lead to an out of body experience. My heart still hasn't slowed down.

Irn Bru.

financeguy said:

:drool: that and the red drink tizer i think its called is amazing!

it's clear lemonade with red cordial or some such other added. also known as fire engines. they're not uniquely irish.

Your right, its sold in Australia...There is some in my fridge at the moment :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Irish Food

Angela Harlem said:

:hmm: can that be what's in Bono's drink in this pic perhaps?
bonoredcordialpl1.jpg

I'm planning a trip to dublin this summer, so I want to know, what are the things I MUST eat and drink there?
I already want an Irish fry, Guinness and Jamesson, but what more?
I heard about soda bread, what does that taste like?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Irish Food

Galeongirl said:

I heard about soda bread, what does that taste like?

:combust:

Get it toasted with lots of butter. :drool:

Nothing else that tastes like it, it's really quite plain but it's heavenly. Everytime I go away we take a stack of soda.

If you want whiskey, try Bushmills - from the oldest whiskey factory in the world, which is right here in Norn Ireland

Stew, it's always a good thing to try

And potato bread, you'll get that in your fry no doubt.

:drool:

Even though it has nothing to do with food but a really cool place to visit is St.Michans church on Church Street. You get to see the crypts and the mummies. It's near the whiskey distillery.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Irish Food

meegannie said:

Neither are you. :( How can you be a U2 fan?

Stop being so mean to me!!!! I have a grandmother, well great-grandmother actually, who is Irish. That is enough for me to declare myself Irish. Plus when I spent 3 days in Dublin, well, outside of Dublin, really, I felt at home! I felt a connection. Kind of.

I'm going to move there one day and eat Irish food and drink Guinness. I can't stand Guinness, but that isn't the point.
:grumpy:

Rochelle, we're going to an auction in St Johns Rd on Saturday. We could be neighbours! Well, almost neighbours :lol: I dont know what part you live in, but I thought of you as we drove around having a look last weekend :D

And that St Michans Church is amazing. I will never understand how or why they are just out on display like that, as surely the presence of people breathing down there disturbs the air which has kept them so preserved. It's so strangely casual, given the bodies are hundreds of years old and 2 of them are of quite significance. It's a brilliant place to visit.

I personally like the leek and potato soup...ymmmmmmmyyyy....
For the record, both my mum's and dad's families are from Ireland, Campbell and Burke's all the way...

I hate Guinness and I hate cabbage and I hate corned beef. Ate it all the time while growing up and I hated it. Still do.

Angela Harlem said:
Rochelle, we're going to an auction in St Johns Rd on Saturday. We could be neighbours! Well, almost neighbours :lol: I dont know what part you live in, but I thought of you as we drove around having a look last weekend :D

And that St Michans Church is amazing. I will never understand how or why they are just out on display like that, as surely the presence of people breathing down there disturbs the air which has kept them so preserved. It's so strangely casual, given the bodies are hundreds of years old and 2 of them are of quite significance. It's a brilliant place to visit.

hahaha how cool my mate live on that road near the park, your right about the church, it is a brulliant place..i love the atomshpere it has (if that makes sense)

yeah the atmosphere is something, huh. i was expecting it to be creepy, but it wasn't at all. and the bodies... i dont get how dead bodies which you cn literally touch and crouch down next to are not the eeriest thing ever, but they aren't!

TheQuiet1 said:

I HATE the TV advert for that with that bloody Glaswegian bloke in a bird suit shouting, "Wakey wakey!":mad:

It's been one of my favourite adverts for a while....CUCKOO!:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhHP3hP_0Pg

For your pleasure and annoyance:p

Anyway Irish food..Champ is delicious. Like colcannon except scallions instead of Kale or cabbage...goes brilliantly with stewed sausages....that is my favourite meal right there:drool:

No spoken words said:

i live in woodlawn.....i can look for it if the person that started this thread wants....get back to me at celtic78@optonline.net

Is potato bread what Scottish people call potato scones? or is that just what my grandparents call them?

or is it something different?

:bump: Need more talk of Irish fare because I am going to Ireland in the fall. I want to try as much of it as possible! Someone mentioned a potatoe and leek soup and that sounds scrummy.....I'd love the recipe! How do the fish & chips compare in Ireland vs in England?

Back
Top Bottom