Irish Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had the bessssttttt Irish breakfast on Sunday - smuggled sausages and pudding :drool: the only thing I missed was my mums brown bread - I'm not a big fan of fried foods, but my mums brown bread fried is to die for...

Carek1230 said:
:bump: Need more talk of Irish fare because I am going to Ireland in the fall. I want to try as much of it as possible! Someone mentioned a potatoe and leek soup and that sounds scrummy.....I'd love the recipe! How do the fish & chips compare in Ireland vs in England?

Don't tell the English but I think our fish n chips are better:shh:

That said it seems to be the people of Italian heritage here who make them, well in Belfast anyway...Fusco's make excellent fish n chips:drool:

Potato and Leek soup is deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!

Its quite easy to mae
get a shitload of potato, chop into little cubes and boil till soft
get two big leeks, slice finely and fry in a little oil and butter adding a little bit of sage, or whatever herbs you like.
Blend with 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stck in a blender, which heaps of salt and pepper to taste until smooth.
and cream, double cream or some milk to make it creamy if you like. And interesing twist is adding coconut milk, it tastes lovely!

anyhooooo make it, its YUMMY! :D

Irish fish and chips are better, but it depends where you go for them
I can't think of any other irish food but out of what has been mentioned champ, soda bread and stew are the best :drool:

I'm too young to know, but irish coffee is meant to be nice :lol:

I found Red Lemonade around here:D bought a bunch...it was ok:reject: actually still have a bottle thats about 2 years old.

LJT said:

Don't tell the English but I think our fish n chips are better:shh:

That said it seems to be the people of Italian heritage here who make them, well in Belfast anyway...Fusco's make excellent fish n chips:drool:

Fusco's!:rockon: As it happens, my Italian teacher's family was a line of fish and chip shop owners, and he was supposed to become one himself, but the shop kept being blown up seeing as it was close to the Europa hotel.:huh:

Potato bread is what's called 'Potato Farls'. It's flat, generally sqaure, floury and I've never liked it. My sister loves it, though. However, if you're ever in Norn Ireland and you're not vegetarian you will need to try an Ulster Fry. That is a proper breakfast! You may require a trip to the hospital later, but it's worth it :drool: *wishes she wasn't vegetarian*

I have not tried this red lemonade... :hmm: I must find some ASAP! And Guinness is quite good, once you get used to it :wink:

Potato bread is gorgeous toasted with butter melting over the top:drools:

The Kiki (or Tiki:hmm:) Cafe in town does an excellent all day fry...really great value:up:

dazzlingamy said:
Potato and Leek soup is deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!

Its quite easy to mae
get a shitload of potato, chop into little cubes and boil till soft
get two big leeks, slice finely and fry in a little oil and butter adding a little bit of sage, or whatever herbs you like.
Blend with 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stck in a blender, which heaps of salt and pepper to taste until smooth.
and cream, double cream or some milk to make it creamy if you like. And interesing twist is adding coconut milk, it tastes lovely!

anyhooooo make it, its YUMMY! :D

:bow: :applaud: :hug: Thanks soooooooooo much for the recipe! I am going to try some this weekend. I am going to go to Beverages and More and look for the red lemonade too :up:

snowbunny00774 said:
I had the bessssttttt Irish breakfast on Sunday - smuggled sausages and pudding :drool: the only thing I missed was my mums brown bread - I'm not a big fan of fried foods, but my mums brown bread fried is to die for...

:drool: brown bread

i've never had it fried:ohmy:

I am such a bread lover, so I am going to have to be careful not to eat too much :drool: ... or come to think of it not to drink too much :drool: :drool: ... but it all sounds SO delish and I can't wait to try as much of the local fare as possible!

Carek1230 said:
I am such a bread lover, so I am going to have to be careful not to eat too much :drool: ... or come to think of it not to drink too much :drool: :drool: ... but it all sounds SO delish and I can't wait to try as much of the local fare as possible!

:drool: oh oh oh, but Karen the BROWN BREAD FROM IRELAND IS TO DIEEEEE FORRRRRRRRRRRRR!! Especially with irish yummy butter on it! There is nothing better than a bowl of stew/soup, brown bread warmed and yummy irish tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart: I could never get enough of it and i so miss that brown bread! Me and the hubby always talk about it 3 yrs after our wonderful visit to the emerald isle.
You have to try it.. but i tell ya once you do YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME...:wink:

I adore Irish food :drool:

I always put on weight when i go there :grumpy:

Everything just tastes so much nicer:drool: :drool: , maybe it's my mother in laws cooking :shrug: or the fresh country air

Jamieson, Soda Bread smoothered in creamy Irish butter, Irish sausages ( my personal favourite , can never resist an Irish Sausage :shifty: ) Irish Coffee i could go on :drool:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

:drool: oh oh oh, but Karen the BROWN BREAD FROM IRELAND IS TO DIEEEEE FORRRRRRRRRRRRR!! Especially with irish yummy butter on it! There is nothing better than a bowl of stew/soup, brown bread warmed and yummy irish tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart: I could never get enough of it and i so miss that brown bread! Me and the hubby always talk about it 3 yrs after our wonderful visit to the emerald isle.
You have to try it.. but i tell ya once you do YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME...:wink:

Thanks Amy. I know you are right. I am so impatiently waiting for my trip! My girlfriend and I have Irish recipes and are making all kinds of Irish dishes but we know it's just not the same. Can't wait......my mouth waters just hearing everyone talking about the bread and yummy Irish butter. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom