Irish artists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
One of my friends is graduating in December. She is Irish American and we have an on going joke about my love for U2. For her graduation present, I want to make her a mix cd of Irish bands and solo artists. So far I have:

U2
The Cranberries
Sinead O'Conner
Van Morisson
The Corrs
The Virgin Prunes
Enya (If I really need one more artist)

What other fairly popular groups are Irish?

Only Dave King is Irish in Flogging Molly, it's a questionable inclusion.

My vote is for the Pogues. Though Shane McGowan spent most of his childhood in England, he was born in Ireland, and returned there as an adult. And the Pogues' music is obviously Irish.

I recommend
"If I Should Fall From Grace with God"
"Fairytale of New York"
"Dirty Old Town"
"The Sick Bed of Cuchulain"

The Pogues
Thin Lizzy

Check out the Greatest Irish Bands cd. :up:
(It even comes with a bonus dvd with a Sightings Of Bono short film :cool:)

Yes, but they don't need to share space with the likes of Van Morrison and the Pogues. If one had to do something with them, I'd say the best option would be something from Ronan solo

Thanks guys! If you can recommened songs to go with the bands, that would be super!

I put some Pogues songs in my post. But they could have been mistaken for band names. I'd also like to add "A Rainy Night in Soho" to the list I posted of Pogues songs. Great lines:

We watched our friends grow up together
and we saw them as they fell
some of them fell into heaven
some of them fell into hell

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Daniel O'Donnel :)laugh:)

Ok ... so I was flipping around on TV and there was a concert special on public television with this guy. Is he at all popular? He reminds me of a much cheesier version of Barry Manilow.

it's amazing how poor ireland is at exporting music, at least in comparison to england.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I put some Pogues songs in my post. But they could have been mistaken for band names.
Yeah, I knew those were songs. I was referring to other posts. :D

There really aren't a lot of great bands out of Ireland. I guess they all saw U2 and were like, "Well, we'll never do better than that, so why bother?" ;)

It's sad, because I love traditional irish music (pub-type songs and celtic instrumentals) SO much, but the current state is questionable.

Also, Corrs are decent.

smooshcat said:

My Granny really likes him:yikes:

Ash are from N. Ireland.....

If you ask half my friends they will tell you Ash are Irish even though they are from here.

Brian Kennedy is really good but a lot of older folk like him like my Mum. I have all his cds though :reject:

JA: Daniel O'Donnell is liked by older folk. My Dad can't stand the bloke. He reminds me of a dodgier version of Cliff Richard. A lot of people used to think he was gay until he married a woman. My Granny is still convinced he is gay. /random tidbit

Bob Geldof & The Boomtown Rats - Rat Trap :heart:
Snow Patrol - half of them are from here
I love a band called Pay*ola but I don't know if any of their music is available online/ outside here.
therapy? - screamager
slf (stiff little fingers) - alternative ulster

smooshcat said:

My Granny really likes him:yikes:

Ash are from N. Ireland.....

Yes, all the grannies and the mammies like this lad, but I just can't help laughing whenever I see him on telly.... :laugh:

As for any good songs, these are some my favourites:

Therapy?: Church of noise, If it kills me, Stories, who knows, Hey Satan you rock.

Gavin Friday: You, me and WW III, Little black dress

Lara Mullen said:

Brian Kennedy is really good but a lot of older folk like him like my Mum. I have all his cds though :reject:

JA: Daniel O'Donnell is liked by older folk. My Dad can't stand the bloke. He reminds me of a dodgier version of Cliff Richard. A lot of people used to think he was gay until he married a woman. My Granny is still convinced he is gay. /random tidbit

I like Brian Kennedy :shifty:

Luka Bloom ... I just heard him for the first time this past summer at Milwaukee's Irish Fest. He rocks my world!

Van Morrison (did anyone mention him yet?)

Sinead O'Connor

If you're into classical music and classical crossover, The Celtic Tenors and the The Irish Tenors

I know a few closet Brian fans at uni.

Luka :heart:

David Kitt is playing at our union in November, I was thinking of going to see him.

Back
Top Bottom