Ireland are out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this one is a tough choice, i like ireland, but one has to cheer for 'la madre patria' aka Espana.

what an excellent match! both sides played their hearts out.
a real nail biter, but casillas and co pulled it off!

i can't believe that fernando hierro almost cost Espana the game, that would have been a very sad way to retire.

ireland played an great match, a big
icon14.gif
to shay given!

Espana! Espana!
1946877959.jpg

They deserve to still be in. They played better than Spain towards the end. I hate penalty shoot outs :sad: I still remember the England v Argentina ones but I didn't cry then (I don't think)
I did this time.

Ireland you did your best but deserved better. Well done. Hopefully luck will be on your side next time round.

Well done Ireland, they played wonderfully and deserved to win the match. Its always a shame to go out like that after playing so well.

Ah well...God I hate penatly shootouts!!

Last edited:
No it didnt seem like there was too much penalty practice done at training did it! But hey...Im sure you cant practice for the kind of pressure those guys (kids some of them!) were under.

Ireland did so well and out played Spain in every department after halftime. Did Spain have a good chance at goal after theirs in the 8th minute? I cant remember one....

They did their country and all us mad U2 fans who wish we were Irish ;) proud.

I was hoping for an England v Ireland final:sad:

Dammit. I so badly wanted them to move on. Thought I was gonna die there for a second! But at least they went out w/ PKs... even though I hate that process with a passion... Great game though! Keane, Given, Duff... love you guys... yeah.

An Ireland-England game would've been sweet.

I think Spain is a better side, even if they had a very dissapointing play in the second half, Ireland did too much with the team at hand.

By the way penalty kicks training has not much to do after playing a heart breaking phisical devasting 120 minutes, the one that wins is usually the one with the strongest will, or with the legs less tired. Your mind my say one think but the body does what it can.

well said rafmed,

i was disappointed when camacho brought out morientes and raul and elected to go with more defenders to protect the 1-0 lead. whereas ireland went with more offensive players, i always say, you need to keep pressure on your opponent and not back off and hope to preserve a lead, b/c as we know well in futbol a
1-0 lead is like no lead at all.

re: espana's play in the second half...
i think espana's playing ability was weakened b/c the irish defense were doing their job. i did notice they picked up the pace toward the end of the match and had 2 good shots on goal.

on a lighter note...
wonder if edgie or larry were at the game?! edgie had talked about going to the cup?! hmmm

i know me too! :sad: i have been hoping for a chance and $$$ to make it to 'ONE' world cup match in my lifetime!

can you believe i didnot even make it to the WC matches in Dallas and that is just a stones throw from San Antonio! of course i was a poor student with no $$$ in 94. maybe i will get lucky in 2006

who here has been to a wc match?!

*edited 'cause i got up too early today*

Last edited:
bono_man said:
No it didnt seem like there was too much penalty practice done at training did it! But hey...Im sure you cant practice for the kind of pressure those guys (kids some of them!) were under.

They did their country and all us mad U2 fans who wish we were Irish ;) proud.

I was hoping for an England v Ireland final:sad:

And after 120 min. running ?It is a wonder that they can walk to the penaltyspot. Ireland can go home as heroes. :)

Rono said:

And after 120 min. running ?It is a wonder that they can walk to the penaltyspot. Ireland can go home as heroes. :)

You hit the nail right on the head there matey! Damn right, we are proud as punch of our boys, and me and my buds r goin out celebratin wha6t was a great world cup for us, no1can take that from us, and the fact is we shoulda won today, not a bad way to go, rather than "damn, we got hammered!"

IRELAND!!!!!!:cool:

Seriously, a penalty kick shootout is like having a free throw contest to decide a basketball game. You don't win a shootout--you just hope that the other team chokes more often than you do.

:no: gaaaaawd, an England and Ireland match would have been leathal!!!!!! England would beat us waaaaay to many times - not that im DOUBTING our Irish lads but its what I would foresee and what would be true........................plus thered be a huge riot match outside the pitch after....;)

:D

Back
Top Bottom