ireland!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelaVox21

The Fly
Hey! my friend and i are travling to ireland for almost two weeks this summer... about 5 days will be in dublin. I was wondering if anybody can recommend what we should see while we're in the city, both U2 related and non-U2 related... we've got a bunch of ideas already but i'm just curious what other people have to say... maybe we've missed something :heart:

It seems everyone is going to Ireland this summer,lol. There was a thread a few weeks back about it as well.

You can find it here;
http://forum.interference.com/t157396.html

I have never been to Dublin, but would like to go - hope you have a good trip!

Are you going to Northern ireland as well?

Yeah we're also planning on hitting northern ireland, hehe. Thanks a bunch!

I would highly recommend the Viking tour in Dublin--it's so cheesy but really funny! :lol: I also thought Dingle was gorgeous and and Clifden is :love: The mountains there are so majestic :up:

Have a great trip! :D

I just thought of some more stuff for Dublin--the Zoo :giggle: and Phoenix Park, and definitely go shopping on Grafton St. and take a tour of the Guinness factory......

and get a pizza........I thought Dublin had amazing pizza :drool:

Yumm, thanks! I'm always up for pizza... We're definitely planning on hitting all those places. Speaking of pizza... what else do u recommend food wise for us to try? I'm not really sure what "irish food" is ;)

I ate a lot of spinach there :uhoh: and I hate spinach! :lol:

Um....I don't really remember, I know in Dublin I ate mostly pizza :giggle: And they do have a lot of American food at hotels

As for "Irish food".........:shrug: Breakfast is interesting, lots of meat and stuff, but the food is similar to American food

I'll probably be adding stuff to here as I think of it! :)

lolol, y'd u have a lot of spinach, cuz it's everywhere or cuz it was good over there? hehe, thanks a lot for the help, i really appreciate it! :)

:shrug: I don't know, but I do know that Ireland imports all their vegetables from..........Spain! :eek: Including potatoes! :shocked: The spinach was soooooo amazing, all the vegetables were :drool: As soon as we got back to the States, it was no more vegetables! :madspit: :wink:

I'm a vegetarian, and a very picky eater in general, and I found tons of food to eat in Ireland.

We went to the tourism office in Dublin by Grafton Street and bought a pass to see all of the sites we were interested in and also bought a bus pass that let us hop on and off all over the city. We didn't cover even half of what we intended to see but the bus ride was really cool because we got a guided tour around the city and were able to see parts of it that we wouldn't have gotten to otherwise. There's so much to see in Dublin!

You should go to the west and see the Cliffs of Moher. I think that was my favorite part of being in Ireland. We took a railtour and had a guide for 14 hours that took us all over the west coast. It was expensive but worth it!

yeah, we've got ourselves a guide for the majority of the trip and the Cliffs of Moher is one of our stops :D we're staying in Dublin with no guide that's y i'm curious. so to get the bus pass we go to the tourism office by Grafton Street? do u know anything about the DART? thanks a bunch ;)

The tourism office should be on most major maps of Dublin, very easy to find. Nude is actually right by it. That's the restaurant that Bono's brother owns. They have good food. It's more like a quick cafe place.

We just found the Dart, bought a ticket to our destination, and got on. I think we only used it once or twice.

We actually stayed a little far away from everything in Dublin so we did a lot of walking and also cabs when needed. The cab drivers do not screw you over and try to take you all over town at all like they do in NYC or Chicago (only places I've taken cabs). They will take you where you want to go using the direct route and offer pointers on where to go and what to see.

Thanks a lot :) good to know that cab drivers don't screw u over, lol. u guys have all been really helpful

I have a fantastic book I'm studying for my trip to Ireland next year, it's called U2 Under a Blue Dublin Sky by Karin & Marcel Wagenaar and it really is very informative and pretty much touches on all the U2-related sites as well as the usual tourist attraction suggestions. Are you planning to stay at the Clarence?

nope, we're broke college students, we can't afford the clarence :tsk: that sounds like an awesome book. can i get a copy at barnes and nobles or amazon? lol i'll check amazon right now actually... thanks! :angel:

I'm not made of money either, but I would LOVE to stay at the Clarence! That's my goal, just one night! To be able to say I stayed there!!!

I am not sure where the book is from, my sister bought it and had it sent to me, but check Amazon. If you need more info on the book let me know and I will check it when I get home. You can PM me or email at carek1230@cox.net

I decided to add Leslie Castle to the list, I went there and got a tour from Jack Leslie himself, it was really cool and got to see a ton of historical stuff, like Winston Chrurchill's christening gown! :giggle:

I hope you have a great time! Ireland is a beautiful place! I lived there in 2001, and loved it. There have been a lot of great suggestions already.

As far as Dublin goes, here are some suggestions:

Kilmainham Jail is very cool if you're into history.

St. Stephen's Green is beautiful, and a great place to sit and people watch while you have your lunch or something, providing it's a decent day weather-wise.

Grafton Street is fun, lots of shops and people.

The General Post office is cool too.

The Temple Bar district has some great pubs, and the atmosphere is very lively!

I ate at the Bad Ass Cafe (not sure if it's still there) a couple times, and it had great food.

I have several great guidebooks for Ireland, and can give you more info if you'd like. Send me a PM or an email thora_seb@yahoo.ca and I'd be happy to help out! :)

Carek1230 said:
I'm not made of money either, but I would LOVE to stay at the Clarence! That's my goal, just one night! To be able to say I stayed there!!!

I am not sure where the book is from, my sister bought it and had it sent to me, but check Amazon. If you need more info on the book let me know and I will check it when I get home. You can PM me or email at carek1230@cox.net

Hey thanks, I checked Amazon and they didn't have it. I did find the site that sells it, it's an unofficial book from somewhere in Europe. :shrug: I know what u mean... one day i hope to stay at the Clarence too. lol, I don't even think u can stay one night, I think it's gotta be a minimum of two! :madspit: :)

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, it's been really helpful. Galway and the Cliffs of Moher are definitely on our list. I've never heard of Leslie Castle, i'll definitely look into that! :D

ThoraSEB, thanks for all the places... i think I actually heard about the Bad Ass Cafe in a guide book i was reading, so it might actually still be there.

lol, i'm new here so i'm not really sure what PMing is... :huh: I was also wondering if i can quote more than one person at once... didn't wanna leave a million replies :p

I highly recommend Galway if you get the chance, you can take the train there out of Dublin's Heuston station. Also, try the Smithfield area of Dublin, it's a bit off the tourist path and kind of cool. DART is very easy to get around if you want to go north to Howth or south to Bray/Greystones. A nice seaside day trip and very inexpensive! Have fun!!

BelaVox21 said:

Hey thanks, I checked Amazon and they didn't have it. I did find the site that sells it, it's an unofficial book from somewhere in Europe. :shrug: I know what u mean... one day i hope to stay at the Clarence too. lol, I don't even think u can stay one night, I think it's gotta be a minimum of two! :madspit: :)

Maybe a local book store like Borders could order the book for you? It's really good. Some more info from the book: The ISBN# 90-808100-2-9

or try Kite Publishing, www.kite-publishing . com (remove the spaces of course) copyright 2004

Or write Infor@kite-publishing.com

I'll be my sister bought it off the Kit site and had it sent to me.

Anyway, good luck!

tommyvill said:
galway & clif of moher in eire & giant causeway in the northern republic...:drool: :drool: :drool:

Giants causeway is good, though they charge the most ridiculous price to park your car in the carpark :mad:. You should also check out the Whisky factory at Bushmills if you're up in the North at the Giants Causeway. :up:

Galway is a very cool city. While you're in the area and after the Cliffs of Mohr which is a must. Yeats castle is nearby and visit a few of the old churches if you get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom