iPod questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandyMarie

Acrobat
I bought a Dell DJ last year, it was between that or an iPod mini, and so many people seemed to dislike the iPod compatibility at the time so I went with the DJ. The DJ has been great, but it's getting boring, and I wanna buy an iPod, but I have so many questions. Hopefully one of you guys can help me out here, cause I am clueless to this stuff.

With the video iPod, do you get the album art only when you DL from iTunes, or will you still get the album art if you transfer from your cd collection?

Can you DL audiobooks or ebooks? Does this take long on dial-up?

Is the iPod pretty compatible with Windows XP and easy to use?

Are the playlists pretty organized?

Can you upload from it?

Is there anything else I should know about it? Sorry these are stupid questions, but ya gotta learn somewhere...

When I bought an iPod in April I downloaded iTunes before the iPod arrived in the mail (iTunes is free software and a pretty good one, too.)

So I would say just download iTunes and you'll get used to it.

You can add your own album art, though it is a long tedious process, as you have to click and drag the picture for EACH song. (unless someone knows another way to do it, and then i would like to know it:wink: )

it is compatible with itunes, which works really well on xp. it also works as an extra drive really well!

i know some people who are used to winamp don't like itunes organization method, but for me, i think it is the best program for playlists that i have ever used. (and i have used wmp, winamp, mmjb, realplayer). also it does a good job of making smart playlists, that is, you set the parameters (artist, album, year, genre, etc) and it picks songs that match.

you can upload from it, though it is hard. you have to have disk use enabled, then look in your ipods hidden files and folders. it is hard to find the songs too, because it puts them in random folders, but if you do a file search from the windows start menu, it works okay.

um, as far as anything else, get a case for it for sure! they scratch so easy. and go to ipodlounge.com a lot to learn new things!

shrmn8rpoptart said:
You can add your own album art, though it is a long tedious process, as you have to click and drag the picture for EACH song. (unless someone knows another way to do it, and then i would like to know it) :wink:

Instead of clicking and highlighting one song at a time, highlight a whole albums worth. Just click on the first song and then, while holding the shift key, click on the last song of the album.

You don't need to drag the album cover art onto every song in an album. I just "select all" the songs on an album and drag the album art to any of them and they all update (takes a couple seconds as it goes one by one onto each song on the album).

Is this what you meant?

^yep that is exactly what i was talking about. i feel like an idiot for not figuring that out! i'm off to upload some album art!

I still don't get the album art thing

I added all the album art of my music, then uploaded my music to my iPod... and nothing!

With the video iPod, do you get the album art only when you DL from iTunes, or will you still get the album art if you transfer from your cd collection?

Like everyone else has said here, you have to manually upload it. When you have a large music library, I find this inconvenient. However, if you buy a song from iTunes, the artwork automatically comes with it.

Can you DL audiobooks or ebooks? Does this take long on dial-up?

Yes. Through iTunes you can DL audiobooks and podcasts. I don't know about eBooks, but I know that some sites have offered ebooks you can DL to your iPod.

Is the iPod pretty compatible with Windows XP and easy to use?

I use Windows XP and have found it very easy to use. I have had no problems. It's an easy set-up and you just plug it in and it (and iTunes) does the work for you...

Are the playlists pretty organized?

I'm not sure what you mean by this - but iTunes (the free software you'll use with the iPod), allows you to create playlists ad naseum. You can set so-called "smart playlists" - based on certain criteria (say, a playlists of songs with "love" in the title or something), and it will automatically create them. You can also manually create them. On your iPod, you can listen to any playlist you've created.

Can you upload from it?

You can use your iPod as an extra hard-drive. I am more than sure that you can take whatever is on the iPod and find a way to get it onto your computer. I have not yet tried this (I haven't needed to), but my friend, who has a mini, has done this (when her computer crashed) and am pretty sure this is a possibility.

Is there anything else I should know about it?

If you do run into any problems with the iPod - knowing how to "reset" it is a good thing. The only problems I've had were solved with that. :) Other than that, it's worked like a champ. I love it.

Thanks for your input guys!

By organized playlists, I mean is all your music pretty easy to find? With my DJ, a lot of the stuff is hidden in different folders and I have to search everywhere for a certain song. It get's to be a pain. I'm sure there are ways to get better organized, but I haven't tried figuring it out yet.

Mainly, I just want to make sure the iPod is pretty user friendly. One more thing, does anyone know what the DL for audiobooks is on dial-up?

Cleasai said:
Maybe you have a version of an iPod that doesn't show album art? Mine doesn't

mine does, i'm sure of that

meh, I can't live without the album art

Okay now I have a question. Caron has an ipod mini and has it set up on her log in. She just bought her daughter a shuffle and we had trouble setting it up under Sarah's log in. Can you set up 2 ipods on one computer? :help:

We couldn't even install the software.

Doozer61 said:
Okay now I have a question. Caron has an ipod mini and has it set up on her log in. She just bought her daughter a shuffle and we had trouble setting it up under Sarah's log in. Can you set up 2 ipods on one computer? :help:

We couldn't even install the software.

You should be able to set up 2 ipods on the same computer without any issues. My girlfiend and I each have our own iPods registered to the same computer. We use the same login and everything.

Back
Top Bottom