Ipod Info For Dummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEVERLY56

Refugee
As much as I hate to admit this in public, I am completely ignorant about technological stuff. However I think I want to buy an Ipod - can someone tell me what I need to know, and what the difference between the U2 Ipod is and othe Ipods? I think it will prevent my having to walk around with my discman in hand when I walk for exercise.

Well, it depends on what you want.

There's basically five routes you can go.

1. The iPod Shuffle

2. The iPod Mini

3. The iPod

4. The iPod U2

5. The iPod Photo

1. The iPod shuffle is the least expensive model, at about $100. However, you can only get it with 512MB or 1 GB of storage space, which is not too much. There is also no LED display... so song playing is completely randomized. If you exercise a lot and do not care what song is next, then this could be right for you.

2. The iPod Mini is the entry level iPod with an LED screen. It comes in many different colors, and comes in either 4GB or 6 GB of storage space. They are very compact and look nice, but personally, I'd rather spend a little more money and get a lot more storage space with the higher models. (Mini Starts at $200)

3. The iPod is the most common model. This comes in any color you want, as long as it is white. It has an impressive 20 GB of storage space and costs $300.

4. The iPod U2 is really just an iPod as listed above, also at 20 GB... but it looks cooler of course. You'll be paying extra, as it goes for $350. However, with purchase, you will receive a $50 gift certificate towards the purchase of The Complete U2 collection.

5. The top model is the iPod photo. The iPod photo uses a color LED screen, and aesthetically looks much nicer. The iPod photo can also display any pictures that you store on it, as well as displaying the album artwork for any song that you play. This model is availiable in 30 GB and 60GB (!) variants, costing $350 and $450 respectively.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I appreciate it. I've done a little poking around on the web and have learned a little. By the time I get around to buying one, something else will have come out to replace it.

Can anybody reccomend a good site that will explain the iPod in full detail? I want to know if the iPod is compatible with WMP, if I can just rip from my cd collection using WMP, and if I can use other DL's besides iTunes. Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm not computer-savvy at all, so I am clueless.

I have a Dell DJ 20 GB, and it's been great for my first MP3 player, but I'm ready for the real thing.

I can only recommend apple. com and looking around there.

No, Windows Media is not compatible. iTunes is the only program that will put music to your iPod.

I feel iTunes is far superior though...

but iPod and iTunes is Windows/PC compatible...i think you will just need to install the iTunes software...which might be available when you buy an iPod or check the apple website.

You cannot play Windows media files on your ipod. My husband and I had this exact talk and that is why I purchased an IRiver

ava83 said:
You cannot play Windows media files on your ipod. My husband and I had this exact talk and that is why I purchased an IRiver

When you transfer .wma (windows media) files to your itunes, it automatically converts them to s. I have itunes and windows as the platform and it's done that to my .wma files.

I also had an iriver and those are nice! :)

you are nobody until you have an ipod...God won't even listen to your prayers

Basstrap said:
you are nobody until you have an ipod...God won't even listen to your prayers

Wait a sec - blessings aren't just for the ones who kneel!. I'm more confused than ever about this technocrap. I'll probably never buy one!

Back
Top Bottom