iPod Goodies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADecentMelody

War Child
For you iPod vets, what accessories are must haves for the iPod? I have a sturdy case, the iTrip, and my siblings thoughtfully gave me the Bose SoundDock for my birthday (which I shouldn't be opening yet, but oh well). :wink:

I want to return the favor since they own iPods as well. What are some of the top-rated items?

Last edited:
1. The in-ear earbuds - I believe they are about 40 USD but well worth it
2. The iskin case is the best for preventing scratches
3. The Griffin itrip - no tape deck issues - just find an open frequency and the ipod plays through that
4. The Belkin car charger - plugs into the cig lighter

I recommend the inMotion portable speakers. Not nearly as loud as the Bose SoundDock, but they're truly portable (much lighter and runs on batteries), unlike the SoundDock. You can find them on sale for about $130.

For protection against scratches, I really like the incase leather cases. Very classy. $25-$30.

Also, consider some sort of carrying case to lug everything around. incase has a good one for about $70.

Last edited:
ADecentMelody said:
For you iPod vets, what accessories are must haves for the iPod? I have a sturdy case, the iTrip, and my siblings thoughtfully gave me the Bose SoundDock for my birthday (which I shouldn't be opening yet, but oh well). :wink:

I want to return the favor since they own iPods as well. What are some of the top-rated items?

How is the Bose SoundDock? Is it worth the $$$?

Re: Re: iPod Goodies

theedge111 said:

How is the Bose SoundDock? Is it worth the $$$?

I really like it. The sound is very crisp with lots of ample deep bass coming from a compact frame. I'm glad I got it as a present and am very excited about it. However, I don't know if I would have foot the bill for it myself. I'm only saying that because I have a Bose stereo system already that I can access through iTrip. Sure, the sound isn't as crisp through iTrip, but it gets the music across.

Still, the convenience of docking the iPod and have it play through these speakers is very convenient. It also comes with a miniature remote control to skip through tracks, adjust volume, and turn the iPod/SoundDock off.

If you have $$$ to spare, it's worth the technology.

I have the leather "incase" clip as well. Really smart looking with all the necessary freedom of accessing the clickwheel without removing the case. The fit is perfect too. It is not a pain to slide it in and out.

I will be picking up the matching BLACK itrip this week by Griffin and Griffin's power charger for the car. Is there really a difference between a Belkin or a Griffin car power charger?

I will also be buying a docking speaker system this Spring sometime. I am considering the Bose one. Maybe they'll put out a black one. What is the best docking speaker system out there? I am not concerned with a portable one for travel. I just want the best sound.

Also, about the itrip. Does the ipod have to be so close to the radio in order for it to work effectively? I am curious about distances between the itrip and the fm source.

I just have the black iPod clip on case.

Not really interested in the sound dock, as I don't like the sound of AAC (or mp3) on stereo speakers. IMO, the difference is noticeable and since I have basically all my iPod songs on CDs anyway, I can just pop those into a high quality stereo system.

Roland of Gilead said:
I will also be buying a docking speaker system this Spring sometime. I am considering the Bose one. Maybe they'll put out a black one. What is the best docking speaker system out there? I am not concerned with a portable one for travel. I just want the best sound.

Also, about the itrip. Does the ipod have to be so close to the radio in order for it to work effectively? I am curious about distances between the itrip and the fm source.

All the reviews I've read has hailed the Bose SoundDock as the thing to buy for it. I really like the clarity of sound. I can't really compare it though to any other docking product.

As far as the iTrip, it definitely works better the closer you are to the receptor (in a car's case, the antenna). But, it's powerful enough that a car running alongside you can pick up your signal if they tune in to the correct station. Before my SoundDock, I would tune my stereo in the living room, my alarm clock/radio in my bedroom, and my Bose wave radio in my bathroom to the iPod's station. They can all pick it up and have the same music playing in my entire apartment. That's surround sound!

Re: Re: Re: iPod Goodies

ADecentMelody said:

I really like it. The sound is very crisp with lots of ample deep bass coming from a compact frame. I'm glad I got it as a present and am very excited about it. However, I don't know if I would have foot the bill for it myself. I'm only saying that because I have a Bose stereo system already that I can access through iTrip. Sure, the sound isn't as crisp through iTrip, but it gets the music across.

Still, the convenience of docking the iPod and have it play through these speakers is very convenient. It also comes with a miniature remote control to skip through tracks, adjust volume, and turn the iPod/SoundDock off.

If you have $$$ to spare, it's worth the technology.
[/QUOTE

Thanx i really appriciate the info!!

I have the JBL On Stage speakers, and they are amazing. Some who have also heard the Bose say that they prefer the JBL, which cost $100 less. I also have the iTrip. :up:

Bonochick said:
I have the JBL On Stage speakers, and they are amazing. Some who have also heard the Bose say that they prefer the JBL, which cost $100 less. I also have the iTrip. :up:

Does JBL have a docking system? Or is this for computer speakers?

Thanks for sharing this info.

Diemen said:
As a rule of thumb, Bose is overpriced for what you get.

Gotta disagree. Most of the money you spend on Bose products go to research. They have some pretty innovative stuff. Granted, other companies are starting to catch up but they continue to push the boundaries. I paid $250 for the Wave Radio back in '94 and it's still kicking today with booming, clear sound. I think you get what you pay for.

Roland of Gilead said:

Does JBL have a docking system? Or is this for computer speakers?

Thanks for sharing this info.

Yes, it has a docking system. It's very nice. I would highly recommend them to anybody. :up:

ADecentMelody said:

Gotta disagree. Most of the money you spend on Bose products go to research. They have some pretty innovative stuff. Granted, other companies are starting to catch up but they continue to push the boundaries. I paid $250 for the Wave Radio back in '94 and it's still kicking today with booming, clear sound. I think you get what you pay for.

The Wave Radio is a minor exception (although for what it does it is fairly expensive). I won't get too into this, but suffice it to say that while Bose may spend a lot of money on research, they certainly don't spend a lot on quality materials, and spend waaaay too much on marketing. I guarantee you that for every Bose speaker model or home theater system out there, I could find another speaker/system that is both less expensive and performs better.

The quality of sound through iTrip is not perfect, but hard to tell the difference. Also, interference does occur if you have a "weak" antenna. In my case, my antenna doesn't automatically come up anymore (gotta fix it!) and so suffers from interference if I keep the iPod too far from the car stereo itself. In my friend's car (with a working antenna), no problem at all. Like I mentioned above, a car running alongside my car can pick up the signal clearly.

In my opinion, it's worth the $35. :up:

Edited to say: iTrip does come with a software to allow you to choose which station to send it to. The farther you are away from an actual station, the better the reception. The software has a list of stations in your area that is best suited for iTrip.

Last edited:
I've had very little problems with my iTrip. I found a good frequency here, and it almost always works. Static is noticeable at times, but it's not bothersome. It's great!! :up:

I have the Icarplay from Monster which is a nice improvement from the iTrip since you can charge the iPod while you play it... great for longer trips (and more powerful than the iTrip).

so i got a 40gb ipod+hp for christmas and am totally pumped. it is one of the best presents i've ever received. however, i now have some questions...

1)i didn't get the u2 one, but i did see a commercial for ipod tatoos. on the hp website it has templates you can download for them, but it doesn't say anything about designing my own. the only band they have that i would remotely consider putting it is the killers, but i would really like to have u2. does anyone know if this is possible?

2)after you guys put your songs on your ipod, do you leave them on your hardrive still? i have about 4 gigs worth of songs on my computer, and the rest of the family complains that i am making it run slower. i am afraid of taking them off of my hardrive however because, well, i've spent like the last five years getting these songs off of dial-up LOL and i don't want to lose them.

3)the headphones came with foam covers. does anyone actually wear these? they are a little too big for my ears anyway...maybe i will just get the upgrades.

4)i'm REALLY prone to scratching my small electronic devices, especially the screens. what is the best thing i can get to prevent this?

5)i drive an '85 subaru wagon (no cupholders), and have no good place to put it while i drive. is there any kind of dash-mount hook-up or something?

Last edited:
shrmn8rpoptart said:
2)after you guys put your songs on your ipod, do you leave them on your hardrive still? i have about 4 gigs worth of songs on my computer, and the rest of the family complains that i am making it run slower. i am afraid of taking them off of my hardrive however because, well, i've spent like the last five years getting these songs off of dial-up LOL and i don't want to lose them.

3)the headphones came with foam covers. does anyone actually wear these? they are a little too big for my ears anyway...maybe i will just get the upgrades.

4)i'm REALLY prone to scratching my small electronic devices, especially the screens. what is the best thing i can get to prevent this?

2) After I drop my songs into my iPod, I think what I will do is burn the mp3's onto disc so that I have a hard copy, but it's not taking up any room on my hard drive.

3) I guess it would depend on how often you plan on using them. I am considering getting iTrip, since I usually listen to most of my music in the car. I was just thinking that if I don't plan on using the earphones that much, it would be a waste to shell out for better ones.

4) I'm hoping for an answer to this question myself. I would like to get an iSkin (they have a cool black one for the 20 GB), but my brother said I should watch out for lint with the iSkin. Is the leather case better? Does anyone know? The thing I like about the iSkin is that it's snug up against the iPod, rather than moving around in a little case where it could get little scratches. I really don't want to get it scuffed up, but at the same time, I would like to actually USE it as it's intended - which is hard, considering I'm being so precious with it!

Edit:

I wish I'd read first before asking.

Sounds like I need an ITrip.

Last edited:
lmjhitman said:
*bump*

iSkin vs. Leathercase

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Haven't tried the leather, but I didn't like the neoprene too much. It ended up scratching the black area just under the wheel. I am now using the iSkin but it doesn't have a shield for the screen. At this point, just expect your iPod to get scratched.

For the most part, I use the iSkin just because it's the most compact of all the cases.

Back
Top Bottom